Server and Workstation drivers fail to start

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi,

My wife's computer has suddenly become unable to start the server and
workstation services. Basic TCP/IP communication across the network adapter
(Xircom RealPort2 CardBus Ethernet 10/100) works fine, it is just the file
and print sharing level that fails during startup. Here are the System Event
Log messages generated during a single boot process (latest first):

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer

Error 02/07/2004 06:56:54 DCOM None 10005 SYSTEM CFLAPTOP
DCOM got error "The dependency service or group failed to start. "
attempting to start the service BITS with arguments "" in order to run the
server:

{4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097}

Error 02/07/2004 06:56:54 Service Control Manager None 7001 N/A CFLAPTOP
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service depends on the
Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service has returned a service-specific error code.

Error 02/07/2004 06:56:54 Service Control Manager None 7024 N/A CFLAPTOP
The Workstation service terminated with service-specific error 2250.

Error 02/07/2004 06:56:54 Workstation None 5727 N/A CFLAPTOP
Could not load RDR device driver.

event data: 0xc0000034

Error 02/07/2004 06:56:54 Workstation None 5727 N/A CFLAPTOP
Could not load Rdbss device driver.

event data: 0xc000026c

Error 02/07/2004 06:56:03 Service Control Manager None 7026 N/A CFLAPTOP
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

KSecDD

MRxSmb

Rdbss

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:55 Service Control Manager None 7001 N/A CFLAPTOP
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to
start because of the following error:

The specified driver is invalid.

Information 02/07/2004 06:55:17 Tcpip None 4201 N/A CFLAPTOP
The system detected that network adapter Xircom RealPort2 CardBus Ethernet
10/100 was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over
the network adapter.

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:37 Service Control Manager None 7023 N/A CFLAPTOP
The Server service terminated with the following error:

The specified driver is invalid.

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:37 Service Control Manager None 7024 N/A CFLAPTOP
The Workstation service terminated with service-specific error 2250.

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:37 Workstation None 5727 N/A CFLAPTOP
Could not load RDR device driver.

event data: 0xc0000034

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:37 Server None 2508 N/A CFLAPTOP
The server service was unable to load the server driver.

event data: 0xc000026c

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:37 Workstation None 5727 N/A CFLAPTOP
Could not load Rdbss device driver.

event data: 0xc000026c

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:30 Service Control Manager None 7000 N/A CFLAPTOP
The WDM Video Audio Crossbar (ATIXBar) service failed to start due to the
following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
has no enabled devices associated with it.

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:30 Service Control Manager None 7000 N/A CFLAPTOP
The WDM TVAudio (ATITVSnd) service failed to start due to the following
error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
has no enabled devices associated with it.

Error 02/07/2004 06:55:30 Service Control Manager None 7000 N/A CFLAPTOP
The WDM Video Capture For AIW (AtiBt829) service failed to start due to the
following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
has no enabled devices associated with it.

Information 02/07/2004 06:55:29 eventlog None 6005 N/A CFLAPTOP
The Event log service was started.

Information 02/07/2004 06:55:29 eventlog None 6009 N/A CFLAPTOP
Microsoft (R) Windows 2000 (R) 5.0 2195 Service Pack 4 Uniprocessor Free.

The three audio/video failures have been occurring for some time, so I don't
think they are related to the network problems. The server and workstation
failures have been occurring since a reboot yesterday. The previous reboot
was on 23/6/04, and the main significant event in between would seem to be:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Ntfs
Event Category: Disk
Event ID: 55
Date: 25/06/2004
Time: 08:06:59
User: N/A
Computer: CFLAPTOP
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
the chkdsk utility on the volume D:.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..À
0018: 68 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 h.......
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

My wife cannot remember precisely, but it sounds like chkdsk was triggered
at startup and fixed a file whose name she can't remember. I haven't been
able to find any log recording its activities. If I run chkdsk now, it does
not report any bad sectors, which is good news about the hardware but also
leaves me wondering how the file system structure could have become corrupt.
I thought NTFS 5 journaling was supposed to prevent that sort of thing, even
if the power fails at an arbitrary point, provided only the disk medium
remains intact?

What I need to understand is, is there a single file or registry setting
that could have brought down both services? I have compared the files in the
drivers and dllcache directories, and they seem to be identical, making a
corrupt file seem less likely. What I think I need to do (short of
reinstalling the OS) is reinstall this group of network drivers (ksecdd.sys,
srv.sys, rdbss.sys, mrxsmb.sys, the "RDR driver", ...). How do I go about
doing this? I found little of relevance in a search of the Microsoft
Knowledge Base.

Thanks
Jonathan

PS: I tried generating a boot log file, but it just gives a list of drivers
that loaded and drivers which it "Did not load". It does not indicate they
actually failed to load, and in some cases the same driver is reported as
both loading and not loading. Anyway, in order the list of unloaded drivers
is:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\EFS.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
[this one reported as loading a couple of lines above]
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\sglfb.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\tga.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AtiBt829.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atitvsnd.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atixbar.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
1 answer Last reply
More about server workstation drivers fail start
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    It turns out that these problems were caused by a missing ksecdd.sys in
    WINNT\system32\drivers, presumably lost through the disk error I mentioned.
    This file seems to be an unadvertised dependency of the server and
    workstation device drivers. Microsoft documentation is silent on what it
    does, but from the name and the fact it is started right at the beginning of
    system boot, I am guessing it has something to do with security.

    Anyway, the problem appears to be fixed.

    Thanks
    Jonathan

    Date: 25/06/2004
    Time: 08:06:59
    User: N/A
    Computer: CFLAPTOP
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
    the chkdsk utility on the volume D:.
    Data:
[...]

Workstations Microsoft Servers Windows