Win 2000 partition

answer

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002

I have Win 2000 Pro with 2 Partitions, first(C:) is NTFS, second(D:)is FAT32
and Linux on third(E:) partition.
Now I remove Linux from third(E:) partition and now that partition is
Unallocated.
How can I assign that hard disk space to first(C:), primary, active
partition.

"ANSWER" <dejanm@blic.net> wrote in news:cc401c$f45$1@ariane.blic.net:

> I have Win 2000 Pro with 2 Partitions, first(C:) is NTFS, second(D:)is
> FAT32 and Linux on third(E:) partition.
> Now I remove Linux from third(E:) partition and now that partition is
> Unallocated.
> How can I assign that hard disk space to first(C:), primary, active
> partition.

Without deleting your D partition you will need a 3rd party tool like
Partition Magic.

Leonard Severt
Microsoft Enterprise Support

vinCe

> > I have Win 2000 Pro with 2 Partitions, first(C:) is NTFS, second(D:)is
> > FAT32 and Linux on third(E:) partition.
> > Now I remove Linux from third(E:) partition and now that partition is
> > Unallocated.
> > How can I assign that hard disk space to first(C:), primary, active
> > partition.
> >

> Without deleting your D partition you will need a 3rd party tool like
> Partition Magic.
>
> Leonard Severt
> Microsoft Enterprise Support

Without buying Partition Magic, you can still do the job, but it becomes
much more complicated.
First, you have to delete your D partition like Leonard said. To preserve
data on D, you can format your E as a FAT partition and move data on D to
the new E and delete D.
Resize NTFS is tricky and no freeware available excepting Linux. In your
case, Linux is deleted already, you have to use Parted on Knoppix CD Linux.
Resize your new FAT partition first to make a desirable size of free space
for adding to C, then resize NTFS partition. It is better you find a way to
backup your C somewhere since partition resizing is a risky task.

good luck

Vince

Find the HDD large enough to fit the data from both C: and D: partitions
and double-clone.