Sign in with
Your question

nVidia vs. ATI in a few months..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2007 2:31:43 PM

I'm about to begin upgrading my system again, however, I'm planning on holding off until more DX10 cards are released. I'm thinking about holding off until April-May, depending on Intel's price drop or any delays on the Barcelona, because I'll be getting a new cpu too, but am not sure if any of the two look to have a more dominant future. I know atm, nVidia seems to be ahead by quite a bit, but that changes quickly. I've been gone for quite some time, so I'm not up with the time yet.

Basically, I'm playing Supreme Commander; it it eats my computer alive! I'm running an AMD 3800+ x64, 7900GT 256mb, ad 2 gb of ram. After seeing the raping my computer's willingly accepting on the lowest graphics settings, I figure it's time to upgrade, and I think the graphics card is what's going first. And as mentioned, I'm holding off until April to see price drops and release notes on the Barcelona, and 'till DX10 cards are more popular than they are now, so it seems like it's stil la tossup between the two. Thanks for all the help!

More about : nvidia ati months

February 28, 2007 2:36:34 PM

If you're upgrading for Supreme Commander, you might be better served by a fast dual-core CPU.

From what I've seen it's a real CPU hog.
February 28, 2007 2:42:05 PM

Oh ya? Hah, well I'm upgrading my cpu sometime abo uthe same time as my card. I'm waiting till April for Intel price drops, and will see if the Barcelona is still scheduled for mid-year or what price are put on it anyways. I'm either thinking about sticking w/ a quick-fix e6600 and OCing the hell out of it, or investing in quad-core now and not worrying about it later. I guess it all depends how things pan out in the future. Either way, I'll need new mobos as well, so it'll be a completely new system..
Related resources
February 28, 2007 2:54:50 PM

I had an A64 3400+ oc'd to about 2.6. The supreme commander demo really lagged.

Then I got this cheap Core2 e4300... comes with a nice high 9x multiplier, I've pushed it to 2.25ghz pretty easily. Same innards as the 6400, the 2mb cache doesn't really hold these CPUs back compared to their 4mb cousins.

Most folks are getting to 3 Ghz easy but I'm holding off until I get some water cooling in there...

Anyway, Supreme Commander demo seems MUCH smoother.
February 28, 2007 9:11:52 PM

hmm, well, I'd try OCing.. but I'm still don't know how to do it too well, and more importantly, I don't have a cooling system to save my computer :D . I can find how to OC easily, and form what I've heard, my card and cpu are pretty good at OCing.. But, I guess only time will tell. I'm really considering a quad-core Intel on April pricedrops, and maybe then there'll be a price some good cards.

Does anyone still have any info of the upcoming card race? Thanks again bro.
February 28, 2007 9:40:57 PM

im thinking that, belive it or not, will still be on top in a couple months.
they will win this generation.

ATI, the next
March 1, 2007 12:10:29 AM

ya, that's what I was thinking. Seems like ATI is going to be on top after a few a few DX10 launches.
March 1, 2007 12:24:35 AM

Quote:
I'm about to begin upgrading my system again, however, I'm planning on holding off until more DX10 cards are released.

nvidia released them last year in 2006

get a 8800gts for $300 you can always ebay it for $250 in 6 months!
March 1, 2007 1:52:13 AM

I know nVidia has the 8800 released, but that's the ONLY choice we have pretty much.. I'd rather a bit more options first

And I based my choice on the fact that, that's how the battle always goes. ATI is king, then nVidia, then ATI, then nvidia, then ATI.. it's just always been like that

Same with Intel and AMD.. Only, right now Intel is in the lead. I'm interested to see if the Barcelona can take the spot though..
March 1, 2007 2:15:20 AM

true.. true.. but I'll hold off until then anyways, because at least there'd be a price-drop on the 8800, and by then I'll be buying my cpu so, we'll see.
March 1, 2007 2:48:44 AM

Supreme commander is ATM the most demanding game out as far as hardware is concerned. This website did a really good review using 8 different cpus and 9 different gpus, and even on medium settings on intensive maps a high end c2d + 8800 is having trouble pushing past 30 fps. It's really ridiculous that there isnt any hardware available that can run the game at full settings well.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=620

And another review showing basically the same thing though theor testing method wasnt as intense http://www.gamespot.com/features/6166198/index.html

My advice for you is to try and wait it out a few more months if you can. Pick up a c2q 6600 after the price drops in april, or if you can stick it out a bit longer than that, wait for the barcelona quad cores late this summer. Supreme commander is multi threaded and a quad would be your best bet.

By that time the game should be dx10 patched and there should be alot more selection in dx10 cards and you can pick one up that fits your budget. hopefully when the game moves to dx10, framerates will improve a bit.
March 1, 2007 3:44:52 AM

You hit the nail on the head Grifter.. EXACTLY what I was thinking! On every level too. I've NEVER had a problem running any game on the highest graphics settings, but supreme commander just wasted it whenever you build enough units and use enough attacks (which.. is what the game is ALL about..)

But I'm guessing the Barcelona is going to come out extremely over priced, wouldn't it? I know AMD is *typically* cheaper for the power you're getting, buts *atm* are still much weaker than Intel's line of cpus. But when the Barcelona comes out, I could only imagine it's going to be muc hmore expensive then Intel's later model quad-cores, right? If that's the issue, then maybe I'll wait till April price drops, or even Barcelona's releases because that would drop prices as well. Either that or invest the extra buck for a Barcelona.

I've DECIDED that quadcore is the way I'm going to go, and as far as graphics cards go, I'll wait until there are more DX10 cards form both ATI and nVidia.. just to get a rough outline.

But what's this I've heard about AMD and ATI releasing a graphics card together? I think it was the R-series you you mentioned in your post Robs. Not SURE.. but it's what I've heard from someone. Is that true, and if so, is it expected to be pretty damn good? Thanks for the help.
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2007 5:42:20 AM

The new amd/ati solution for gpu is the 700 series not out til who knows? The current r600 series was made by ati alone. Eventually amd/ati will try a new direction which combines the cpu/gpu meld I believe but thats even farther down the road
March 1, 2007 2:19:34 PM

Quote:
even on medium settings on intensive maps a high end c2d + 8800 is having trouble pushing past 30 fps. It's really ridiculous that there isnt any hardware available that can run the game at full settings well.

A constant 30 fps is very good in an RTS; we're not talking first person shooters here.

If a C2D and 8800+ can run SC at full settings and get a constant 30 fps, without dipping undr 25 fps - that's very smooth.

RTS's are a different animal. I've been playing Empire at War for a while now and I assumed my FPS were in the 50's. When I benchmarked it was hovering around 28! But thie thing was it remained pretty constant with little dipping.

It just seemed so smooth I assumed I was getting really high framerates, but in reality it was much lower than I thought I was experiencing...
March 1, 2007 6:54:35 PM

hmm. blended cpus/gpus? Would that be like, a completely new piece of hardware or something? Sounds like if that goes through, there will be QUITE a big difference with trying to get certain parts compatible with one another, ESPECIALLY units built before this hybrid..
March 2, 2007 10:41:25 PM

the gts line is a great deal - its a really good card at a good price - what u find i lowet end card from nvidia the 8600 and 8300 - i doubt the price will be lower the curent $290-#80 for 320mb to 640bm oc versions.
March 2, 2007 11:06:00 PM

Blended CPU/GPU?

isn't that integrated graphics...?

8)
March 2, 2007 11:35:18 PM

lol, he meant technically blended, as in built together, not blended as in "will it blend", that is integrated graphics the "will it blend" style
March 3, 2007 12:46:59 AM

Quote:
I'm about to begin upgrading my system again, however, I'm planning on holding off until more DX10 cards are released. I'm thinking about holding off until April-May, depending on Intel's price drop or any delays on the Barcelona, because I'll be getting a new cpu too, but am not sure if any of the two look to have a more dominant future. I know atm, nVidia seems to be ahead by quite a bit, but that changes quickly. I've been gone for quite some time, so I'm not up with the time yet.

Basically, I'm playing Supreme Commander; it it eats my computer alive! I'm running an AMD 3800+ x64, 7900GT 256mb, ad 2 gb of ram. After seeing the raping my computer's willingly accepting on the lowest graphics settings, I figure it's time to upgrade, and I think the graphics card is what's going first. And as mentioned, I'm holding off until April to see price drops and release notes on the Barcelona, and 'till DX10 cards are more popular than they are now, so it seems like it's stil la tossup between the two. Thanks for all the help!
Something I am realizing now is that, well, IT IS NEVER A GOOD TIME TO UPGRADE. LOL.

I mean, there is always something awesome on the horizon.

However, right now, I think it is best to wait until the AMD/ATI offerings are at least benchmarked.

However, I am dying for an E4300 to OC the crap out of. And I would order the E4300 and upgrade again in May, except I still have an AGP mobo, and if I go to the 4300 I'll have to buy a N8800GTX. Then I'll have to upgrade a cpu AND gfx board come May.

So, i all adds up to a wait situation.

Trust me. SupCom is killing me too. On lowest settings I have to play @ 1024x760 to get decent FPS at later stages in a match.

I love supcom and cannot wait until May when I can play it maxed at 1600x1050. that is going to be beautiful!

(And stalker is GOLD now, which is going to be an amazing game, let alone crysis.) I think PC gaming is going to get really sweet this year
March 3, 2007 6:25:43 AM

Yeah, wait fifty years that'll be a good time to upgrade. By that time computer tech will be slowing down (a little) :twisted:
!