Windows xp 2002 documents to windows 7 professional

I have just bought a new computer with Windows 7 Professional installed in it. However, I am trying to get my documents, pictures, and everything else to transfer over into the new computer. However it will not read or recognize a majority of these items. Geek squad was totally useless in the matter, does anyone know what I need to do to get my new computer to read my old computers stuff (windows xp 2002 version).

"frustrated"
1 answer Last reply
More about windows 2002 documents windows professional
  1. You need to install the programs that orginally created the documents. If you used Microsoft office Word to create a file, then you need a program that will read a .doc file. If you had saved the pictures in a Jpeg or Bitmap formate Microsolft paint should be able to display it. But if you saved the file (picture) in the native format, say photoshop then you will need that program installed in Windows 7 to be able to read the file (display it).

If you still have the installation disks, most of your old programs can be installed on your windows 7 system.
    You may be able to find some "Free" programs that will read the files created by other programs.
    Example: http://why.openoffice.org/
    OpenOffice is a free program that can read documents created by microsoft office word.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Computers Windows XP