intel and AMD's nomenclatures

phone33

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
so im sure this is a repost but i could not find anything in a forumz seach so sorry

but i was just wondering what intel and AMD's nomenclatures was for processor, mostly dual core, is there a website that breaks it down. also is there a website that shows u how to calculate processor speed from things like frequency and clock speed. any links would help, and sorry if it is a repost

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
so im sure this is a repost but i could not find anything in a forumz seach so sorry

but i was just wondering what intel and AMD's nomenclatures was for processor, mostly dual core, is there a website that breaks it down. also is there a website that shows u how to calculate processor speed from things like frequency and clock speed. any links would help, and sorry if it is a repost

The best listing sites:
http://www.amdcompare.com
http://processorfinder.intel.com

Stealth_JAG

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
The thing that always gets me is the alpha names (Wolfdale, Brisbane, etc) and not the numeric designators (E6600, X2 4800, etc). I can sort of keep the numbering conventions straight and have the "larger numbers are better" thing down. However, even that can sometimes be misleading (like how the Q6700 is better than X6800).

Where I get really lost is when somebody compares a "Toledo" to a "Brisbane" OK, one is a city in Ohio and the other is a city in Austrailia, but what does that tell me about the chip? I need a scorecard to figure out which city name corresponds to which AMD chip. For Intel, I haven't even figured out if they get their names from a single literary genre or if they just have some english mature hyped up on meth choose them (Do the proper names "Wolfdale", "Conroe" and "Penyrin" have some non-computer connection with each other?). Anyway, I sometimes would like a cheatsheet telling me what nomenclature goes with what chip. I can't tell the players without a program.

There was a great sticky in this forum not too long ago that had all the latest and upcoming processors listed. It had their nomenclature and specs. I don't know what happened to that sticky though. I guess I'll just have to keep sitting here and ingnorantly nodding in agreement as others talk about how the "Valkerie" chip is going to totally destroy the "Los Angeles" chip. :oops:

Rob