Best microATX Mobo for slightly OC'ing an E6600?

Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Heyas!

About to build myself a Silverstone SG01 SFF build and am curious about what Mobo I should get? I'm not too famaliar with microATX boards and would certainly appreciate some advice. I would like to OC an E6600 a bit. I need something that's stable and good for gaming. I don't plan on going SLI or Crossfire. I went SFF for space reasons.

Thanks for the help!

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
there are very few decent oc mATX C2D boards.
The great hope currently is abit's just released F-I90HD which in the initial day of user testing that I have seen had hit 350fsb so far as they were working up.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
there are very few decent oc mATX C2D boards.
The great hope currently is abit's just released F-I90HD which in the initial day of user testing that I have seen had hit 350fsb so far as they were working up.

...that looks nice. HDMI w/ DVI adapter. Optical SPDIF. 4xSATA300, Really nice layout with 1xPCIe 16x 2xPCIe 1x and 1each PCI, IDE, and FDD (I could really do without those, but they managed to squeeze them in) for legacy. 350mhz FSB on an e4400 is 3.5ghz. That integrated gfx looks pretty nice, I wonder if it can be turned on while a discreet GFX card is installed. Would be a really easy way to get 4 or more monitors...

"abit expects the F-190HD to run around $100"
http://legitreviews.com/news/3198/

O.O

If they can hit +350mhz FSB reliably and retail for <$110 they will likely become the most popular C2D mobo.

This might be exactly what I've been looking for. Ty BUFF.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, I managed to find 2 places advertizing them for ~$138.

In my book $138 is not "about" $100. It's "about" $130 xD And ponderings if the price on it will drop? Maybe I should just go beat fatality up and steal one from him, he looks like a wimpy geek boy... I got really excited when I saw "$100" *sigh*.

This makes it a bit more expensive then I'd like. I mean, really, you can get a very decent uATX AM2 mobo and a soundcard and a wireless card and a biggie sized extra value meal for less than that, but the sound card would block my GFX HSF :(

Optical SPDIF out is one of my requirements (I just bought a new home stereo reciever since all of my existing PCs have it and I wasn't even trying I erroneously assumed that optical SPDIF was a mature solution. It sounds freaking sweat with the 4x12"s, 2x10"s, 1x15" and 2x8"s in my room btw :D ), I wish more motherboards had it. Seriously, my socket A shuttle form factor computer has it and the entire barebone system was only like $200 at the time. Why do mobo makers go so far out of their way to put parallel, serial, ten bazillion USB ports (all connected to the same root hub) and PS/2 ports and IDE and FDD and PCI on the mobo but skip over my newly beloved optical SPDIF? Legacy support certainly has some value but what about supporting the new stuff too? Isn't that teh point of a new computer?

/rant off

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
Why do mobo makers go so far out of their way to put parallel, serial, ten bazillion USB ports (all connected to the same root hub) and PS/2 ports and IDE and FDD and PCI on the mobo but skip over my newly beloved optical SPDIF? Legacy support certainly has some value but what about supporting the new stuff too?
because most people that are serious about sound buy a separate sound card (esp. since nVidia dropped SoundStorm)?

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
eh, this is a good point. But have you noticed that many discrete sound cards don't have Optical SPDIF either? And the ones that do are like full-height cards with 10 analogue jacks on them too... Also they put typically put 8 analogue jacks on mobos (6 on the back-panel + 2 header, presumably for "serious" multi-channel audio applications) but they avoid putting a single SPDIF connector on it. At this point someone who is connecting their computer to a multi-channel sound system should be using SPDIF so this just strikes me as being very odd that multi-channel analogue is so ubiquitously supported even on very low end products but the better solution isn't. One SPDIF port can do the work of many mini stereo jacks and it's highly resistant to EMI (immune if it's optical, but costing a little more). Take out a bank or two of mini-stereo connectors (still leaving 2-5 of them which is plenty for most applications) and put in a SPIDF connector instead, at that point the mobo would probably be cheaper using components that are available today.

In the future they could make a bank that has a single optical SPDIF connector (the one on my current main mobo can be in or out) and two mini stereo plugs (which are also able to be in or out in solutions already available) + 2 more on a header and it would be even cheaper and there would still be enough analogue channels available for 6 channel analogue surround sound and a microphone.

The current solutions are just poorly designed. Seriously, who is going to plug in a headphones, and a microphone, and 8.1 channel sound system, and stereo line in all with analogue all at the same time? That's the solution they are currently selling as the norm and it's probably costing them more than what I am proposing and it will almost definately have tons of interferance degrading sound quality if you tried to hook up all that stuff at once.

The new Abit F-I90HD manages to put 4 USB, LAN, 6 mini stereo, VGA, HDMI, 2 optical SPDIF and 2 PS2 ports on the back plane with room to spare :) ..and I just watched a quanitity of them for $111 sell out inbetween adding them to my cart and checking out :( They seem to be more available at ~$138 but if SFFclub.com can sell them for $111 I think I'm going to hold out a bit longer and try to get one for <$120. I haven't heard any reports of this board clocking above 350mhz FSB, but it's still early and that's fast enough for good e4300 e4400 OCing.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I found a configuration very similar to the one I just described. An optical SPDIF in a stack with 2 mini stereo jacks.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/news/news_detail.asp?new=default&news_id=247

It's a nice looking mini-ITX AM2 mobo, but not for gaming :/ It has 4 video outputs. I'm doubting it's integrated GFX engine can support that many different displays, more of an attempt to make a "one size fits all" solution I'm thinking. But it does demonstrate the abundance of cool stuff you can put on the mobo backplane when you get rid of serial, parallel, and PS2 and don't try to have an excess of USB ports. 4 different video connectors, 2 optical SPDIF, 1 coax SPIDF, 5 analogue stereo, firewire and LAN with space to spare :)

Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you for all the replies! I see that SFF club now has it for $111.00. I wonder when Newegg will get some in? Any more news on OCing of this board?

Thanks!

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Thank you for all the replies! I see that SFF club now has it for $111.00. I wonder when Newegg will get some in? Any more news on OCing of this board?

Thanks!

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=2013135

Up to 370mhz FSB on e4300 OCs reported. That's probably a bit faster than you want to cram into a SFF case anyway unless you're also cramming water cooling in there (which there is a picture of in the thread I linked above). BIOS will allow you to set up to 500mhz FSB.

I'd like to go for a 332mhz FSB to keep my NB timings tight and then clockgen up to 345mhz (a "round" 3.1ghz e4300 to make it easy to brag about) which should outperform 355mhz FSB with reduced power and be more easily obtainable and with value DDR2-667 to keep prices down. I might not make it quite up to 345mhz but I wouldn't let that upset me too much.

Steeeeve

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I will have 10 more in stock today (me being the owner of SFFStore/SFFClub). They should be in around 3PM EST and I'll update my site then.

The first batch sold in 1 hour so if you want one...now's the time :)

As for newegg.com getting them...it might be awhile! I reserved the only 10 left in the USA as far as I know.

vegie

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
i think the Intel DG965OT is a great little board..... look it up.

but i cant find a shop that have them where i live.. :(