Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

LEts try this again - WWTD

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 28, 2007 5:43:37 PM

What would Tom do Part 2.. Ok I asked a few Qs on a post a week or 2 ago and found my BIOS actually doesnt support overclocking at all.

Here is my new setup..

1) EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 nForce 680i SLI ATX
2) Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz
3) (1) BFG 8800 GTX OC
4) CORSAIR Dominator (2 x 1GB) DR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
5) Lian Li PC65 Aluminum Case. 4- 80mm fans.
6) Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm CPU Cooler with Heatsink
7) Dynatron DB1206SPG PCI Slot Case Cooler (To sit under my 8800GTX)

The 8800 is the OC model, so I know I probably dont want to mess with it much.

My question is, what kind of potential does this system have and how would you go about overclocking it. Usage is anywhere between 3-10 hours a day.


Thanks again,
P

More about : lets wwtd

February 28, 2007 6:12:38 PM

Quote:
2) Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz


DOUBLE YOU - TEE - EFF???!!
February 28, 2007 6:15:29 PM

Quote:
What would Tom do Part 2.. Ok I asked a few Qs on a post a week or 2 ago and found my BIOS actually doesnt support overclocking at all.

Here is my new setup..

1) EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 nForce 680i SLI ATX
2) Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz
3) (1) BFG 8800 GTX OC
4) CORSAIR Dominator (2 x 1GB) DR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
5) Lian Li PC65 Aluminum Case. 4- 80mm fans.
6) Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm CPU Cooler with Heatsink
7) Dynatron DB1206SPG PCI Slot Case Cooler (To sit under my 8800GTX)

The 8800 is the OC model, so I know I probably dont want to mess with it much.

My question is, what kind of potential does this system have and how would you go about overclocking it. Usage is anywhere between 3-10 hours a day.


Thanks again,
P


You are actually going to put a netburst proc in with those premium parts ?! Did you want to burn your house down when you overclock it?

PLEASE get a core 2, ANY core 2, rather than that pentium 4.
Related resources
February 28, 2007 6:24:22 PM

my o my
you just bought a ferrari just to go to the local store and to buy groceries?sorry for the comparation and being a little harsh but man where do u live under a rock ?get a core duo and overclock the s..t out of this rig... :twisted:
February 28, 2007 8:07:42 PM

:lol: 

I gotta work with what IVe got right now, Im going duo core sometime in the future but for now im using the proc from my old PC.

Ive heard the 3.2 will overclock to 4ghz, is that not accruate? The mb has support for standard P4s.
March 1, 2007 5:02:56 AM

If you're planning C2D later on then by all means OC the crap outta that thing. I see you're doing yourself a huge flavour with the CPU HSF there, as Ocing Netburst processors produces huge heat.

Netburst has also been referred to as 'Heatburst' before now for this reason. All I can say is Intel's marketing department has a big challenge ahead of them.

Has anyone managed to OC a Netburst CPU to >10GHz yet?
March 1, 2007 9:28:55 AM

Ok so that brings me to my next question. Like I said the P4 is temporary until I have the money for a new processor. Im probably going to go with the E6700 because it seems to be the best for the money right now...

Same setup with an E6700... OC suggestions?
March 1, 2007 1:28:18 PM

4GHz!!!!!
March 1, 2007 2:07:51 PM

how much is that p4 system anchor?
Get the e4300 if your cheap.
I'd check prices/give a better suggestion but...
Newegg wont load from work and that makes me want to cry.
March 2, 2007 12:31:44 PM

Hi P,

I have a 3.4 p4 in a 775 board (asus p5b delux) at home for the same reason and it runs 4.1ghz no problem (with a decent cooler). It may go higher as it's rock solid now but I thought any more would be asking for it....

hth

Graham
March 3, 2007 2:19:31 AM

Quote:
Newegg wont load from work and that makes me want to cry.

Where do you work??? China??? :wink:
March 3, 2007 3:09:13 AM

Quote:
What would Tom do Part 2.. Ok I asked a few Qs on a post a week or 2 ago and found my BIOS actually doesnt support overclocking at all.

Here is my new setup..

1) EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 nForce 680i SLI ATX
2) Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz
3) (1) BFG 8800 GTX OC
4) CORSAIR Dominator (2 x 1GB) DR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
5) Lian Li PC65 Aluminum Case. 4- 80mm fans.
6) Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm CPU Cooler with Heatsink
7) Dynatron DB1206SPG PCI Slot Case Cooler (To sit under my 8800GTX)

The 8800 is the OC model, so I know I probably dont want to mess with it much.

My question is, what kind of potential does this system have and how would you go about overclocking it. Usage is anywhere between 3-10 hours a day.


Thanks again,
P


your sys looks good except for the cpu.

oh and what psu do you have?
March 3, 2007 3:11:13 AM

Quote:
Same setup with an E6700... OC suggestions?


none really. That should do everything you,ll need.

though you can worry about oc,ing the 6700 after you get it.
March 3, 2007 3:31:33 AM

EWWW, you're pairing an overclocked 8800GTX with a 3.2GHz Pentium 4?... :?
March 3, 2007 3:37:19 AM

hey have you seen the realativly new info on the mid series nv cards yet?
March 3, 2007 4:24:39 AM

Quote:
Ok so that brings me to my next question. Like I said the P4 is temporary until I have the money for a new processor. Im probably going to go with the E6700 because it seems to be the best for the money right now...

Same setup with an E6700... OC suggestions?

I don't think the E6700 is the best for the money. I'd get an E6600. I don't think the extra 266MHz is worth the extra $200, especially since it should be an effortless overclock of an E6600 to E6700 speed.

With that RAM, you could (theoretically) get up to 533FSB. Your cooling won't handle that even at the 9 multipler of the E6600 (4.8GHz), let alone the 10 multi of the E6700 (5.3GHz). I guess with the uber-fast RAM you could run it asynchronously at lower FSB, but I don't know if it's really worth it - probably depends a little on the application, and if you can run it faster than 5:4.

Realistically, you'll probably end up around 3.6GHz, which can be achieved with 400MHz * 9 (E6600 multiplier). At this speed (and 1:1 ratio), you could probably run the CL5 PC2-8500 at 4-4-4-12. Or, you could save some $$$ by going with CL4 PC2-6400 instead. I doubt the dominator is worth the extra money.

It's what I'd do, unless I was investing in some very serious cooling (water or better) to shoot for a ridiculous overclock.

Oh, and even though I'm not super-knowledgeable about PSU's, I have to ask: What sort of PSU are you planning for this thing? Overclocking + 8800 = decent power requirements.
!