Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Formatting/Reinstalling OS

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 9:00:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Was using win2000 Professional. PC was infested with
trojans. The plan was to reformat hd and install XP
Home. Put in XP home thinking it would wipe out win2000
first before installing new os. It didn't, and installed
both. I don't want both. When I put XP cd in and try to
run from cd, I get a stop error message. I don't want
the two os. I miss the old days of dos when I could just
go to a c prompt and reformat. Can someone help me please
go get rid of win2000 and only install xp ? Thanks!!!
ddlaz
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:09:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

To do a clean install, boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
install.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"ddlaz" wrote:
| Was using win2000 Professional. PC was infested with
| trojans. The plan was to reformat hd and install XP
| Home. Put in XP home thinking it would wipe out win2000
| first before installing new os. It didn't, and installed
| both. I don't want both. When I put XP cd in and try to
| run from cd, I get a stop error message. I don't want
| the two os. I miss the old days of dos when I could just
| go to a c prompt and reformat. Can someone help me please
| go get rid of win2000 and only install xp ? Thanks!!!
| ddlaz
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:09:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

A few more details are in order here: First, The xp cd
is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd, not a
regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to remove
the existing partition, it told me it couldn't remove it.
So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
directions to uninstall the problem software when I don't
know how to do?
>-----Original Message-----
>To do a clean install, boot the Windows XP install CD-
Rom. When you get to
>the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
partitions found. After you
>delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
restart the pc booting
>the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments
with your new
>install.
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
>"ddlaz" wrote:
>| Was using win2000 Professional. PC was infested with
>| trojans. The plan was to reformat hd and install XP
>| Home. Put in XP home thinking it would wipe out
win2000
>| first before installing new os. It didn't, and
installed
>| both. I don't want both. When I put XP cd in and try
to
>| run from cd, I get a stop error message. I don't want
>| the two os. I miss the old days of dos when I could
just
>| go to a c prompt and reformat. Can someone help me
please
>| go get rid of win2000 and only install xp ? Thanks!!!
>| ddlaz
>
>
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:38:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

A couple of other ways to wipe the drive include; boot a win98/ME startup
disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information found (as long as NTFS
is primary). Or use a utility named delpart.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reski...

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
|A few more details are in order here: First, The xp cd
| is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd, not a
| regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to remove
| the existing partition, it told me it couldn't remove it.
| So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
| other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
| message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
| directions to uninstall the problem software when I don't
| know how to do?
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:38:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving me
the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume. It
suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
but they're not on. Any thoughts?>-----Original Message--
---
>A couple of other ways to wipe the drive include; boot a
win98/ME startup
>disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information
found (as long as NTFS
>is primary). Or use a utility named delpart.
>
>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-
public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>|A few more details are in order here: First, The xp cd
>| is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd, not a
>| regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to
remove
>| the existing partition, it told me it couldn't remove
it.
>| So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
>| other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
>| message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
>| directions to uninstall the problem software when I
don't
>| know how to do?
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:52:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Greetings --

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm


Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. - RAH


"ddlaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:28b9901c4647e$91314a40$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Was using win2000 Professional. PC was infested with
> trojans. The plan was to reformat hd and install XP
> Home. Put in XP home thinking it would wipe out win2000
> first before installing new os. It didn't, and installed
> both. I don't want both. When I put XP cd in and try to
> run from cd, I get a stop error message. I don't want
> the two os. I miss the old days of dos when I could just
> go to a c prompt and reformat. Can someone help me please
> go get rid of win2000 and only install xp ? Thanks!!!
> ddlaz
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:16:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Greetings --

Are you using this Dell installation CD on the same model Dell
computer with which it was initially purchased? If not, Dell may well
have coded the installation routine (BIOS-locked) to fail upon any
attempt to pirate the OS.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. - RAH


"ddlaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:28c1a01c46488$26a9d250$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
> the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving me
> the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume. It
> suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
> but they're not on. Any thoughts?>-----Original Message--
> ---
> >A couple of other ways to wipe the drive include; boot a
> win98/ME startup
> >disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information
> found (as long as NTFS
> >is primary). Or use a utility named delpart.
> >
> >ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-
> public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe
> >
> >--
> >Regards,
> >
> >Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
> newsgroup.
> >Microsoft Certified Professional
> >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> >
> ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >|A few more details are in order here: First, The xp cd
> >| is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd, not a
> >| regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to
> remove
> >| the existing partition, it told me it couldn't remove
> it.
> >| So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
> >| other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
> >| message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
> >| directions to uninstall the problem software when I
> don't
> >| know how to do?
> >
> >
> >.
> >
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I purchased 3 Dells at the same time and it is possible
the CD I'm using technically belongs to one of the other
pcs. I as on the phone earlier with Dell about the
product key. The software installed on this pc the first
time when I had the two OS at the same time but will not
reinstall now.
>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings --
>
> Are you using this Dell installation CD on the same
model Dell
>computer with which it was initially purchased? If not,
Dell may well
>have coded the installation routine (BIOS-locked) to
fail upon any
>attempt to pirate the OS.
>
>Bruce Chambers
>--
>Help us help you:
>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on
>having both at once. - RAH
>
>
>"ddlaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:28c1a01c46488$26a9d250$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
>> the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving
me
>> the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume.
It
>> suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
>> but they're not on. Any thoughts?>-----Original
Message--
>> ---
>> >A couple of other ways to wipe the drive include;
boot a
>> win98/ME startup
>> >disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information
>> found (as long as NTFS
>> >is primary). Or use a utility named delpart.
>> >
>> >ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-
>> public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe
>> >
>> >--
>> >Regards,
>> >
>> >Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
>> newsgroup.
>> >Microsoft Certified Professional
>> >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>> >
>> >
>> ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >|A few more details are in order here: First, The xp
cd
>> >| is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd,
not a
>> >| regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to
>> remove
>> >| the existing partition, it told me it couldn't
remove
>> it.
>> >| So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
>> >| other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
>> >| message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
>> >| directions to uninstall the problem software when I
>> don't
>> >| know how to do?
>> >
>> >
>> >.
>> >
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:23:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297185

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"ddlaz" wrote:
| The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
| the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving me
| the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume. It
| suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
| but they're not on. Any thoughts?>
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:23:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Neither of these situations apply. This machine
originally came from dell running windows xp. The
decision was made to remove xp and install Windows
professional 2000 becuase the rest of the network was
using it. Now, they want xp on the machine which means
we were returning it to it's original state. Since it
worked before, the artile may not apply.
>-----Original Message-----
>This article may help.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
us;297185
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
>"ddlaz" wrote:
>| The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
>| the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving
me
>| the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume.
It
>| suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
>| but they're not on. Any thoughts?>
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:47:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Try booting a win98 startup disk, run fdisk to verify no partitions exist.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| Neither of these situations apply. This machine
| originally came from dell running windows xp. The
| decision was made to remove xp and install Windows
| professional 2000 becuase the rest of the network was
| using it. Now, they want xp on the machine which means
| we were returning it to it's original state. Since it
| worked before, the artile may not apply.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:47:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Ran Fdisk again and there are no partitiions. I'm on
hold with Dell right now and will write back with the
outcome. Thanks!
>-----Original Message-----
>Try booting a win98 startup disk, run fdisk to verify no
partitions exist.
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>| Neither of these situations apply. This machine
>| originally came from dell running windows xp. The
>| decision was made to remove xp and install Windows
>| professional 2000 becuase the rest of the network was
>| using it. Now, they want xp on the machine which means
>| we were returning it to it's original state. Since it
>| worked before, the artile may not apply.
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:59:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

OK, thanks.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"ddlaz" wrote:
| Ran Fdisk again and there are no partitiions. I'm on
| hold with Dell right now and will write back with the
| outcome. Thanks!
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 12:33:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Update!! Dell will be replacing the hard drive.
FYI, the Terminal information error was: STOP:
0x000000ED (0x812DCB50, 0xC0000010, 0x00000000,
0x00000000). Thanks for all your help.
>-----Original Message-----
>OK, thanks.
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
>"ddlaz" wrote:
>| Ran Fdisk again and there are no partitiions. I'm on
>| hold with Dell right now and will write back with the
>| outcome. Thanks!
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 1:39:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Bad day for drives at Dell as they're sending me two new 36 gB scsi as well.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| Update!! Dell will be replacing the hard drive.
| FYI, the Terminal information error was: STOP:
| 0x000000ED (0x812DCB50, 0xC0000010, 0x00000000,
| 0x00000000). Thanks for all your help.
!