Formatting/Reinstalling OS

Was using win2000 Professional. PC was infested with
trojans. The plan was to reformat hd and install XP
Home. Put in XP home thinking it would wipe out win2000
first before installing new os. It didn't, and installed
both. I don't want both. When I put XP cd in and try to
run from cd, I get a stop error message. I don't want
the two os. I miss the old days of dos when I could just
go to a c prompt and reformat. Can someone help me please
go get rid of win2000 and only install xp ? Thanks!!!
ddlaz
14 answers Last reply
More about formatting reinstalling

    To do a clean install, boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
    the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
    delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
    the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
    install.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "ddlaz" wrote:
    | Was using win2000 Professional. PC was infested with
    | trojans. The plan was to reformat hd and install XP
    | Home. Put in XP home thinking it would wipe out win2000
    | first before installing new os. It didn't, and installed
    | both. I don't want both. When I put XP cd in and try to
    | run from cd, I get a stop error message. I don't want
    | the two os. I miss the old days of dos when I could just
    | go to a c prompt and reformat. Can someone help me please
    | go get rid of win2000 and only install xp ? Thanks!!!
    | ddlaz

    A few more details are in order here: First, The xp cd
    is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd, not a
    regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to remove
    the existing partition, it told me it couldn't remove it.
    So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
    other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
    message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
    directions to uninstall the problem software when I don't
    know how to do?

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"ddlaz" wrote:
    >| Was using win2000 Professional. PC was infested with
    >| trojans. The plan was to reformat hd and install XP
    >| Home. Put in XP home thinking it would wipe out
    win2000
    >| first before installing new os. It didn't, and
    installed
    >| both. I don't want both. When I put XP cd in and try
    >| run from cd, I get a stop error message. I don't want
    >| the two os. I miss the old days of dos when I could
    just
    >| go to a c prompt and reformat. Can someone help me
    please
    >| go get rid of win2000 and only install xp ? Thanks!!!
    >| ddlaz
    >

    >.

    A couple of other ways to wipe the drive include; boot a win98/ME startup
    disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information found (as long as NTFS
    is primary). Or use a utility named delpart.

    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    |A few more details are in order here: First, The xp cd
    | is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd, not a
    | regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to remove
    | the existing partition, it told me it couldn't remove it.
    | So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
    | other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
    | message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
    | directions to uninstall the problem software when I don't
    | know how to do?

    The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
    the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving me
    the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume. It
    suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
    but they're not on. Any thoughts?>-----Original Message--
    ---
    >A couple of other ways to wipe the drive include; boot a
    win98/ME startup
    >disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information
    found (as long as NTFS
    >is primary). Or use a utility named delpart.
    >
    >ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-
    public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe

    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >|A few more details are in order here: First, The xp cd
    >| is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd, not a
    >| regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to
    remove
    >| the existing partition, it told me it couldn't remove
    it.
    >| So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
    >| other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
    >| message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
    >| directions to uninstall the problem software when I
    don't
    >| know how to do?
    >

    >.

    Greetings --

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "ddlaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Was using win2000 Professional. PC was infested with
    > trojans. The plan was to reformat hd and install XP
    > Home. Put in XP home thinking it would wipe out win2000
    > first before installing new os. It didn't, and installed
    > both. I don't want both. When I put XP cd in and try to
    > run from cd, I get a stop error message. I don't want
    > the two os. I miss the old days of dos when I could just
    > go to a c prompt and reformat. Can someone help me please
    > go get rid of win2000 and only install xp ? Thanks!!!
    > ddlaz
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Greetings --

    Are you using this Dell installation CD on the same model Dell
    computer with which it was initially purchased? If not, Dell may well
    have coded the installation routine (BIOS-locked) to fail upon any
    attempt to pirate the OS.

    Bruce Chambers
    --

    > The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
    > the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving me
    > the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume. It
    > suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
    > but they're not on. Any thoughts?>-----Original Message--
    > ---
    > >A couple of other ways to wipe the drive include; boot a
    > win98/ME startup
    > >disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information
    > found (as long as NTFS
    > >is primary). Or use a utility named delpart.
    > >
    > >ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-
    > public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe
    > >
    > >--
    > >Regards,
    > >
    > >Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
    > newsgroup.
    > >Microsoft Certified Professional
    > >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >

    > ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >|A few more details are in order here: First, The xp cd
    > >| is a Dell XP operating system reinstallation cd, not a
    > >| regular cd. When I first installed it and tried to
    > remove
    > >| the existing partition, it told me it couldn't remove
    > it.
    > >| So I installed anyway thinking it would wipe out the
    > >| other. Now, when I run this Dell cd I get an error
    > >| message saying "Unmountable Boot Volume" giving me
    > >| directions to uninstall the problem software when I
    > don't
    > >| know how to do?
    > >

    > >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I purchased 3 Dells at the same time and it is possible
    the CD I'm using technically belongs to one of the other
    pcs. I as on the phone earlier with Dell about the
    product key. The software installed on this pc the first
    time when I had the two OS at the same time but will not
    reinstall now.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    This article may help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297185

    --

    "ddlaz" wrote:
    | The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
    | the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving me
    | the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume. It
    | suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
    | but they're not on. Any thoughts?>
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Neither of these situations apply. This machine
    originally came from dell running windows xp. The
    decision was made to remove xp and install Windows
    professional 2000 becuase the rest of the network was
    using it. Now, they want xp on the machine which means
    we were returning it to it's original state. Since it
    worked before, the artile may not apply.

    us;297185

    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"ddlaz" wrote:
    >| The partition is now removed, thank you. However, When
    >| the Dell XP reinstallation CD runs, it is still giving
    me
    >| the same error message about Unmountable Boot volume.
    It
    >| suggests disabling bios opitons of caching or shadowing
    >| but they're not on. Any thoughts?>
    >

    >.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Try booting a win98 startup disk, run fdisk to verify no partitions exist.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | Neither of these situations apply. This machine
    | originally came from dell running windows xp. The
    | decision was made to remove xp and install Windows
    | professional 2000 becuase the rest of the network was
    | using it. Now, they want xp on the machine which means
    | we were returning it to it's original state. Since it
    | worked before, the artile may not apply.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Ran Fdisk again and there are no partitiions. I'm on
    hold with Dell right now and will write back with the
    outcome. Thanks!

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >| Neither of these situations apply. This machine
    >| originally came from dell running windows xp. The
    >| decision was made to remove xp and install Windows
    >| professional 2000 becuase the rest of the network was
    >| using it. Now, they want xp on the machine which means
    >| we were returning it to it's original state. Since it
    >| worked before, the artile may not apply.
    >

    >.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    OK, thanks.

    --

    "ddlaz" wrote:
    | Ran Fdisk again and there are no partitiions. I'm on
    | hold with Dell right now and will write back with the
    | outcome. Thanks!
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Update!! Dell will be replacing the hard drive.
    FYI, the Terminal information error was: STOP:
    0x000000ED (0x812DCB50, 0xC0000010, 0x00000000,
    0x00000000). Thanks for all your help.

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"ddlaz" wrote:
    >| Ran Fdisk again and there are no partitiions. I'm on
    >| hold with Dell right now and will write back with the
    >| outcome. Thanks!
    >

    >.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Bad day for drives at Dell as they're sending me two new 36 gB scsi as well.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | Update!! Dell will be replacing the hard drive.
    | FYI, the Terminal information error was: STOP:
    | 0x000000ED (0x812DCB50, 0xC0000010, 0x00000000,
    | 0x00000000). Thanks for all your help.

Formatting Windows XP Windows