Advice appreciated on building a new system

syberspunk

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Alright, after much debate and gathering advice from various people and places, I have come up with a list of parts. I was wondering if anyone would like to take a look at the following, and let me know what you think:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card - Retail

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V TUV, UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

ABIT IB9 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

I was also not sure what to decide between these sets of RAM. I'm looking for dual channel with a total of 2 GB (2 x 1GB).

I was also undecided about the graphics card. I'm considering the "budget" card above. However, I'm wondering, between these graphics cards, which would be considered the best bargain?

I was ultimately thinking bout goin with the BFG one... but then pokin around tomshardware again, I went back to check newegg and see if there were any other upper end ones that were below 200$. I found a couple, and I am wondering... would it be better to spend extra on the graphics card, or would I be better off with getting the RAM with the shorter timing?

Also... is Albatron a trustworthy company? Would I be better off with the 7900GT(MSI)? Or get the 7950GT (Albatron)? Or does the 7900GC just make more economical sense? And if I'm gonna dip down to that level, then does BFG really make a difference quality wise? Or should I just go bargain hunting and stick with the EVGA or XFX?

I mostly use my computer for:

Simming or modding for the Sims 2
Browsing/posting/emailing/chatting
Ripping/burning CDs/DVDs
Downloading pr0n. :p
Watching TiVO files and/or pr0n. :p
Storing media: video, photos, and music
Editing photos
Word/Spreadsheet Processing

Pretty much in that order (i.e. Simming/modding is typically the priority, while the other activities occur, but not as often).

I rarely multitask nowadays. If I use my Desktop for any of the more CPU/bandwidth intensive stuffeths, I tend to use my laptop for the more meanial things (i.e. browsing and chatting).

Ideally, in the near future (read: sometime possibly by the end of this year), I would like to add:

MMORPGing
IPoding (not necessarily CPU intensive, but I'd like to eventually get an ipod and [re-]organize my data)

With that in mind... is it better to have better RAM or a better graphics card?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, criticisms, or suggested alternatives. :)

Ste

akhilles

Splendid
^^^ seconded.

If you're not overclocking, you can buy any slow ram & won't notice a difference with your naked eyes. i.e. 533mhz.

Thumb up for the case choice.

EVGA 7900GS if you don't want ati.

You need harddisks. A small one 80gb for os & a large one 250gb+ for your stuff.

syberspunk

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah, I think I want to stick with nVidia...

What do you think about the MSI 7900GT? Do you think it would be significatnly better than the EVGA 7900GS? Is it worth the price difference?

And what do you think about these power supplies. I think the NeoPower would be a great deal, but should I worry about overheating? Even tho it has 550W, it has one fan, whereas the SmartPower has 500W but two fans.

Also, the mobo I wanted is now out of stock. :p So... between these mobos which do you think is a better deal? Are these trustworthy manufacturers? I've heard mixed reviews about Asus and Epox. The ABIT one was recommended by one of the guides here at Toms, but it might be slightly pricey for me.

The ASUS looks good, and it says it supports Quad core, so does that mean I could potentially upgrade in the future by just buying a new processor (and I wouldn't have to buy a new mobo?) Or does it just make sense, when upgrading, to always buy a new mobo and processor?

The EPOX is appealing because it has 2 PATA and 8 SATA slots. But I'm not sure if I should trust 'em or not.

I'm hoping to place my purchase this weekend, if not tonight.

Ste

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Skip the 7900gt, it's not much faster than evga's KO and a lot more expensive. If you want more nVidia beef you'd best go up to the ~$300 8800GTS 320. Otherwise, the GS KO. Core clockspeed is the same, the only difference is the GT has slightly faster memory and 24 pixel pipelines compared to 20 on the GS. Nothing to write home about.

I've heard bad things about Antec PSUs and especially the NeoHE. Google them before buying.

I've heard the Asus board you listed is pretty decent, though it might be worth getting Deluxe over the vanilla. I know Abit used to be a good company but I haven't read up on them in a while. I don't know about the EPOX either. Look up reviews on them I guess.

You could also get a cheap Gigabyte P965 variant, or the DS3 if youre overclocking.

syberspunk

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Thanks again.

For the graphics card, faster memory and more pipelines aren't worth the extra cost then?

Up until now, the only gaming I used my compy for was the Sims 2. But now, I'm thinking about possibly getting into MMORPGs (not so much FPSs but I might dabble). I've waffled back and forth, and many have told me that ATI is better for the Sims 2, but it has problems with other games. I've only had experience with NVidia and it really hasn't given me any problems in the past. And from the guides here, it seems like Toms favors Nvidia and the Intel D2Cs.

As for the PSUs, I asked some people and they unanimously recommended Antec for power supplies (when I say some, I mean two... well it was more than two, but only two responded and they both agreed :p).

So... if not Antec, do you have any other recommendations?

Ste

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Well, with more pipelines and faster memory the GT is obviously an improvement over the GS KO, but not much of one. The GT is 140% the price of the GS KO, but only has 120% pipelines and 111% memory. So you'd get a few more fps out of the GT, but not enough to justify $65. The $65 improvement from GS to GT would be nothing compared to the $65 improvement from GT to 8800GTS.

About the PSUs, if you're confident about it then sure go for it. I don't pretend to be an expert on the issue, and I've never owned an Antec PSU.

syberspunk

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Ahh ok. What about RAM. Do you think I'd notice a difference by bumping up the RAM to either the higher priced OZ2 or the G.SKILL ones you recommended?

What about the Mhz issue. I was choosing ones that were 800, because the specs for the mobos all mention that number. I just assumed that I had to get RAM at that speed for it to be compatible. Am I wrong?

As for the PSU, I'm not sure at all, hehe, that's why I'm asking for advice. If you or anyone else had other suggestions, I'm more than willing to listen. I think I'd feel more comfortable getting a "direct" recommendation than simply relying on reading the reviews. Of course, I'll take it all into consideration as well. I'm just tryin to be as well an informed consumer as possible. :)

Ste

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Both the G.Skills I listed are cheaper and better performing than your current Corsair, and a bit better than the OCZ Platinum. You won't see a huge difference between any of the RAM sets though.

You only really need 800MHz RAM if you're putting on a pretty strong overclock. At stock speeds, the RAM will actually run at 533MHz. You can tighten down the timings on your 800MHz RAM if you're going to run it that slowly though, so you'd probably see a performance increase there. But if you can save money by going to DDR2 533, and you'll never overclock, you may as well. Otherwise, go for 800.

I'm really not sure on the PSU either. I know Seasonic, Silverstone, PC&P, and FSP group can be trusted. I think OCZ and Corsair can too. Anyone else, I don't know.

akhilles

Splendid
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1491365#1491365

The Antec NeoHE 550W 42A SLI is more than enough for 8800GTX. SmartPower is the same as the bundled psu in an Antec case, so it would be best to not get SP.

As for psus, see:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

If you o/c, get at least P5B-E or GA-965P-S3. If you don't, doesn't matter which mobo to get as long as they support quad-core, etc.

Premium Corsair ram is kinda of overprised. i.e. Dorminator. If you don't o/c, again doesn't matter what ram to get as long as it's supported by the mobo. i.e. DDR2 533MHZ. It'd be best to get ram with lifetime warranty. i.e. OCZ, Kingston, etc.

syberspunk

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Ok, so I finally ordered my parts and they should be arriving... in fact, probably today!

WHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :D

I'm excited! Can't you tell!??!?! Heheh.

So... now that I will have my parts... where should I start. I suppose I could look up stuff on tomshardware, 'natch. But any other recommendations and/or suggestions?

Someone told me that I shouldn't install two CD/DVD drives on the IDE/PATA slot. That I should make one of the devices a harddrive. Should that harddrive be the boot drive?

Ultimately, I ended up getting one of those new SATA drives as well and bought an ASUS with a single IDE/PATA slot. I do have a PCI card that adds two more IDE/PATA slots. So I figure, I can use that, and maybe I'll just keep the old puter around as sort of a fileserver/guest computer for visitors or the rest of the family (who don't really use computers much anyway).

I plan to move some data around and reformat my HD, so I can do a clean OS install. Now, does it make sense to put the OS on the SATA drive? Or should I put it on the IDE drive?

Also... what about the paging file/swap space. It seems that it is recommended I keep it on a separate harddrive from the drive that has my OS. Would this be an easy thing to set up?

What worries me is... what if the drive that houses the swap space dies. I vaguely recall doing this by accident on my old (much older) machine. And then the drive that had the swap space died. And then I wasn't able to boot my machine. The only way I resolved it was by reformatting again. I would really like to avoid this. :p So, if I do put the paging file on a different HD than the OS, and it happens to die... will I have problems booting? Was that just a fluke when it happened to me the first time? Or is this a problem because, since the OS can't boot without the paging file it is trying to reference?

Incidentally... my new machine comes with fortuitous timing. My old machine has been constantly freezing up the past couple of days. It's like, it knew it was being replaced, so to get it's revenge, it is now pissing me off by constantly freezing up. What a cunty computer. I kicked it to show it who's boss :p But it still freezes up. ::)

Anybody have any ideas why it might be freezing up? I decided to defrag all my drives. One drive has proven to be difficult because it contains a lot of DVD ISO images that I backed up from some of my favorite movies. I tried checking the Event logs, but did not see anything reported. I'm wondering if the fragged harddrive might be the issue... or maybe the boot drive is just crappity... I plan on reformatting anyways... so I'm hoping that will resolve some problem.

The only other reason I can possibly think of is heating. My bedroom is a bit messy right now, and I have to stick my own PC under this crappy table I use as my desk, which happens to be next to the heater in my bedroom. :p Also, one of the fans died on my old GeForce 5690 card. It continued to work fine tho, this past year or so. But I'm wondering if my bedroom is just too hot. :-/

Ste

akhilles

Splendid
Bookmark this:

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

I wouldn't bother with manually setting up virtual memory (page). It doesn't increase performance 10 fold, but if windows can't find the VM partition/drive, it'll annoy you 10 fold cuz you'll be locked out of windows at the logon screen. If you must change it, leave it on the same os drive, just change the size to 1.5x the memory. 1.5 gig VM for 1 gig ram.

Optical + hard drives should boot up fine if they're installed correctly. Best connect hdd to the end of cable & set jumper to master & connect the cd/dvd to the middle of cable & set jumper to slave.

I'd get SATA-TO-IDE adapters for the hard disks.