Multiple Stop Errors

I would like to thank in advance any help anyone offers to my dilemma. I have scoured the net looking for solutions and could not find any.
(I will post all system information at the end of this post).

Problem 1 - Unexplained Reboots
Often times when I turn on my desktop, Windows begins to load and the computer simply reboots itself during the splash screen. Sometimes after I log in. Sometimes when I turn Winamp. It basically reboots whenever it feels like it with no warning or stop error. This happens some of the time.

Problem 2 - 1st Stop Error
This stop error is very infrequent, but when it does creep up, it goes a little something like this:

**STOP: 0x00000028 (0x0019025E, 0xAEE910E4, 0xAEE90D3C, 0x88D52BF1)
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

When this happens, I run chkdsk on all my partitions, and it never returns an error. Chkdsk always finishes without any errors to report, ever. However, this stop error is very infrequent, so I don't worry about it too much.

Problem 3 - 2nd Stop Error
Here's the 2nd one:

**STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

This one is very frequent. I know the 0x08 means there is a double fault. However, I don't know how to locate or fix the problem. Sometimes I have to reboot several times before windows 2000 loads completely.

Problem 4 - 3rd Stop Error (man my comp is really screwed up)
**STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This one is less frequent than the last, but seems to happen every time I try to play a DVD.

Win2KPro Service Pack 4
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (ver. 1)
GFX - ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro 128MB
HD's - 2 x 40GB Seagate Barracuda
CD-RW - ASUS 48x24x52x
DVD-RW - SONY 510-A

Voltages taken using Motherboard Monitor 5
Voltage Readout[1] : 1.584
Voltage Readout[2] : 2.5979
Voltage Readout[3] : 3.296
Voltage Readout[4] : 4.992
Voltage Readout[5] : 12.096
Voltage Readout[6] : -11.98912
Voltage Readout[7] : -5.33104

Temperatures taken using temp. probes:
CPU: 38C idle 47C load
GPU: 36C idle 52C load

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic program passed with extended tests on.
Seagate hard drive utility scanned hard drives with not errors.
I have checked all the capacitors on the motherboard and do not see any bulging or leaking.

The link below will take you to a page listing I/O, Conflicts/Sharing, and IRQ's reports taken from within Win2KPro.

Most of the time, I have to reboot the system numerous times before I am able to log into windows. Even then, it is unstable and reboots or give me stop errors. At first I thought it was the graphics card, but I recently replaced that. I have tried reformatting multiple times to no avail. The same errors seem to creep up every time.
--
-stephano
19 answers Last reply

    Almost always a hardware and or driver issue.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "sjwoo" wrote:
> [...]
    | Voltage Readout[6] : -11.98912
    | Voltage Readout[7] : -5.33104
    |
    | Temperatures taken using temp. probes:
    | CPU: 38C idle 47C load
    | GPU: 36C idle 52C load
    |
    | Microsoft Memory Diagnostic program passed with extended tests on.
    | Seagate hard drive utility scanned hard drives with not errors.
    | I have checked all the capacitors on the motherboard and do not see any
    bulging or leaking.

    | The link below will take you to a page listing I/O, Conflicts/Sharing, and
    IRQ's reports taken from within Win2KPro.

    | Most of the time, I have to reboot the system numerous times before I am
    able to log into windows. Even then, it is unstable and reboots or give me
    stop errors. At first I thought it was the graphics card, but I recently
    replaced that. I have tried reformatting multiple times to no avail. The
    same errors seem to creep up every time.

    Thanks for the tip Dave. Any tips on how to debug the dump files? I've been trying to determine which driver it is (assuming it isn't a hardware problem, which is a BIG assumption). In your experience, have problems like these been more often a hardware failure or a bad third-party driver?
    --
    -stephano

    Thanks Dave! I'll try to determine which driver it is (if it isn't a hardware problem), and report back my findings. Hopefully, it's just a renegade driver.
    --
    -stephano

    This article may help. It really could be either as far as the hardware or
    driver.

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    | Thanks for the tip Dave. Any tips on how to debug the dump files? I've
    been trying to determine which driver it is (assuming it isn't a hardware
    problem, which is a BIG assumption). In your experience, have problems like
    these been more often a hardware failure or a bad third-party driver?
    | --
    | -stephano

    I have decided to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Professional, to determine step by step (as tedious as it is) which drivers, when installed, begins this constant barrage of stop errors. However, I've run into a snag. After booting from the Win2K CD and installing the necessary files on a newly formatted partition, the computer reboots and begins loading windows. After the splash screen, the customary screen for entering setup information is displayed. Then the computer unexpectedly reboots itself. Upon the next reboot, the same thing happens again. Could this be indicative of a greater malady other than driver incompatibility?
    --
    -stephano
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    More likely is non-compliant hardware and or system bios.

    --

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    |I have decided to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Professional, to
    determine step by step (as tedious as it is) which drivers, when installed,
    begins this constant barrage of stop errors. However, I've run into a snag.
    After booting from the Win2K CD and installing the necessary files on a
    newly formatted partition, the computer reboots and begins loading windows.
    After the splash screen, the customary screen for entering setup information
    is displayed. Then the computer unexpectedly reboots itself. Upon the next
    reboot, the same thing happens again. Could this be indicative of a greater
    malady other than driver incompatibility?
    | --
    | -stephano

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I believe I have determined the reboots to be caused by the graphics card. If there is no hardware malfunction, but instead an incompatibility caused by windows attempting to identify the display adapter, what steps should I take to install Win2K when it keep rebooting before the files are copied after the splash screen?
    --
    -stephano

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > More likely is non-compliant hardware and or system bios.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "sjwoo" wrote:
    > |I have decided to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Professional, to
    > determine step by step (as tedious as it is) which drivers, when installed,
    > begins this constant barrage of stop errors. However, I've run into a snag.
    > After booting from the Win2K CD and installing the necessary files on a
    > newly formatted partition, the computer reboots and begins loading windows.
    > After the splash screen, the customary screen for entering setup information
    > is displayed. Then the computer unexpectedly reboots itself. Upon the next
    > reboot, the same thing happens again. Could this be indicative of a greater
    > malady other than driver incompatibility?
    > | --
    > | -stephano

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Try another graphics adapter to get you through the install.

    --

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    |I believe I have determined the reboots to be caused by the graphics card.
    If there is no hardware malfunction, but instead an incompatibility caused
    by windows attempting to identify the display adapter, what steps should I
    take to install Win2K when it keep rebooting before the files are copied
    after the splash screen?
    | --
    | -stephano
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Tried a different graphics card that is Win2K compatible, and the system now reboots by itself when windows is copying files from the CD to the hard drive during install after the splash screen or during the time windows is trying to detect hardware during install. Please advise.

    Thank-you for the help you have provided thus far. This is much more information than I could have hoped for.
    --
    -stephano

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Try another graphics adapter to get you through the install.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "sjwoo" wrote:
    > |I believe I have determined the reboots to be caused by the graphics card.
    > If there is no hardware malfunction, but instead an incompatibility caused
    > by windows attempting to identify the display adapter, what steps should I
    > take to install Win2K when it keep rebooting before the files are copied
    > after the splash screen?
    > | --
    > | -stephano

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Check that the mother board and system bios are Windows 2000 compatible.
    Also check that you're using the correct driver for the drive controller.
    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    | Tried a different graphics card that is Win2K compatible, and the system
    now reboots by itself when windows is copying files from the CD to the hard
    drive during install after the splash screen or during the time windows is
    trying to detect hardware during install. Please advise.

    | Thank-you for the help you have provided thus far. This is much more
    information than I could have hoped for.
    | --
    | -stephano
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The 2 seagate baracuda 80GB hard drives are Ultra ATA/100. Integrated RAID function on the motherboard is DISABLED.
    --
    -stephano

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Check that the mother board and system bios are Windows 2000 compatible.
    > Also check that you're using the correct driver for the drive controller.
    > You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    > ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    > setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    > inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    > and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    > insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    > controller in drive "A"
    >
    > If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    > late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    > resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "sjwoo" wrote:
    > | Tried a different graphics card that is Win2K compatible, and the system
    > now reboots by itself when windows is copying files from the CD to the hard
    > drive during install after the splash screen or during the time windows is
    > trying to detect hardware during install. Please advise.
    > |
    > | Thank-you for the help you have provided thus far. This is much more
    > information than I could have hoped for.
    > | --
    > | -stephano

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
    install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
    \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
    makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your ultra ATA controller in drive "A"

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    | The 2 seagate baracuda 80GB hard drives are Ultra ATA/100. Integrated RAID
    function on the motherboard is DISABLED.
    | --
    | -stephano
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I loaded the ATA100 drivers and re-installed Win2K. However, during driver install of Win2K setup, I received the following Stop error.

    **STOP 0x0000001E (0.80000003, 0x90d4E6E9, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    --
    -stephano

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
    > install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
    > \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
    > makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.
    >
    > Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    > in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    > additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    > supplied Windows 2000 driver for your ultra ATA controller in drive "A"
    >
    > If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    > late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    > resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "sjwoo" wrote:
    > | The 2 seagate baracuda 80GB hard drives are Ultra ATA/100. Integrated RAID
    > function on the motherboard is DISABLED.
    > | --
    > | -stephano

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    |I loaded the ATA100 drivers and re-installed Win2K. However, during driver
    install of Win2K setup, I received the following Stop error.

    | **STOP 0x0000001E (0.80000003, 0x90d4E6E9, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    | KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    | --
    | -stephano
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The motherboard and bios are windows 2000 compatible. I have switched the hard drives (slave(HD1) -> master, master(HD2) -> slave) to see if they are at fault. When I created a new partition on HD1, the os left 2mb unpartitioned. However, when I've tried to install win2k on HD2 previously, the os left 8mb unpartitioned. What might this mean?
    --
    -stephano

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Check that the mother board and system bios are Windows 2000 compatible.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "sjwoo" wrote:
    > |I loaded the ATA100 drivers and re-installed Win2K. However, during driver
    > install of Win2K setup, I received the following Stop error.
    > |
    > | **STOP 0x0000001E (0.80000003, 0x90d4E6E9, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    > | KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    > | --
    > | -stephano

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Stop errors are almost always caused by incorrect drivers, hardware failure,
    or possibly incorrectly identified hardware and non-compliant hardware. Try
    removing all non-essential hardware and get through the install. Then after
    the OS is installed add the hardware in one at a time.

    --

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    | The motherboard and bios are windows 2000 compatible. I have switched the
    hard drives (slave(HD1) -> master, master(HD2) -> slave) to see if they are
    at fault. When I created a new partition on HD1, the os left 2mb
    unpartitioned. However, when I've tried to install win2k on HD2 previously,
    the os left 8mb unpartitioned. What might this mean?
    | --
    | -stephano
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I have removed all non-essential hardware. I have 1 hard drive and 1 cd-rom
    installed as well as the gfx card. I re-installed Windows 2000 Professional
    after formatting the drive and the error I recieved was as follows:

    **STOP (0x80000004, 0x80466E08, 0xF1E80C1E, 0x0000F000)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

    **Address 80466E08 base at 80400000, Datestamp 384d5a76 - ntoskrnl.exe
    **Address F1E80C1E base at F1E80000, Datestamp 3817847b - PCIIDEX.SYS

    What might this mean? I have checked the memory and the hard drive, both of
    which are fine. Could the motherboard be bad?

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Stop errors are almost always caused by incorrect drivers, hardware failure,
    > or possibly incorrectly identified hardware and non-compliant hardware. Try
    > removing all non-essential hardware and get through the install. Then after
    > the OS is installed add the hardware in one at a time.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "sjwoo" wrote:
    > | The motherboard and bios are windows 2000 compatible. I have switched the
    > hard drives (slave(HD1) -> master, master(HD2) -> slave) to see if they are
    > at fault. When I created a new partition on HD1, the os left 2mb
    > unpartitioned. However, when I've tried to install win2k on HD2 previously,
    > the os left 8mb unpartitioned. What might this mean?
    > | --
    > | -stephano

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    PCIIDEX.SYS is an IDE controller driver. You might want to get in touch with
    the MB manufacturer.

    --

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    | I have removed all non-essential hardware. I have 1 hard drive and 1
    cd-rom
    | installed as well as the gfx card. I re-installed Windows 2000
    Professional
    | after formatting the drive and the error I recieved was as follows:
    |
    | **STOP (0x80000004, 0x80466E08, 0xF1E80C1E, 0x0000F000)
    | KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    |
    | **Address 80466E08 base at 80400000, Datestamp 384d5a76 - ntoskrnl.exe
    | **Address F1E80C1E base at F1E80000, Datestamp 3817847b - PCIIDEX.SYS
    |
    | What might this mean? I have checked the memory and the hard drive, both
    of
    | which are fine. Could the motherboard be bad?
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I have decided to RMA my motherboard after hundreds of tries to get this
    system up and going again. I hope to have a new board within the next week or
    so. Thanks for all your help Dave. You've been more knowledgable than anyone
    else I have spoken to regarding these stop errors. Thanks again.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > PCIIDEX.SYS is an IDE controller driver. You might want to get in touch with
    > the MB manufacturer.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "sjwoo" wrote:
    > | I have removed all non-essential hardware. I have 1 hard drive and 1
    > cd-rom
    > | installed as well as the gfx card. I re-installed Windows 2000
    > Professional
    > | after formatting the drive and the error I recieved was as follows:
    > |
    > | **STOP (0x80000004, 0x80466E08, 0xF1E80C1E, 0x0000F000)
    > | KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    > |
    > | **Address 80466E08 base at 80400000, Datestamp 384d5a76 - ntoskrnl.exe
    > | **Address F1E80C1E base at F1E80000, Datestamp 3817847b - PCIIDEX.SYS
    > |
    > | What might this mean? I have checked the memory and the hard drive, both
    > of
    > | which are fine. Could the motherboard be bad?

Windows