Binome

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
I am very interested in building a custom home made case. I have never built a case before and have several questions.

I basically want to make a sphere shaped case (with a flat bottom). I don't mean a cylinder shaped one, but an actual sphere. That’s right a sphere 8O . Well maybe not a perfect sphere, but as close as I can reasonably make it. There is a reason why I want the sphere shape, but I would rather keep it a surprise until the case is finished or you convince me it just won’t work.

I was planning on putting the motherboard horizontal, at the back, and along the bottom. This way the I/O panel would be accessible while maintaining the sphere shape. The power supply would be mounted above the motherboard, likely on the CPU side. Hard drive(s) and optical drives would go in front of the motherboard, similar to a regular case.
There would be a 120mm fan in the bottom front pulling air in, a 120mm fan on the back (either beside or above the PSU) and a fan or vent at the top. So the layout would be similar to a normal one, but with the motherboard turned horizontal instead of vertical. I’m hoping this will keep the height down while utilizing the sphere’s extra width.

I plan on starting with a frame from an older horizontal case and modding it fit my needs. Then I will find a way to get the spherical shape (possibly a balloon) and cover it to make the cover for the case. I was thinking auto fiberglass. The sphere cover would only be about ¾ of a real sphere. That way the bottom would be flat without it being very small. The cover would be attached in a way that the entire sphere would lift off the frame when I need inside.

A few questions:
Would auto fiberglass be a good choice for the cover? I know it is strong. I think it would be easier then trying to bend plexiglas.

Does it matter which way the PSU is mounted? If I turn it sideways would that be bad?

Does it matter which way the hard drive is mounted? Would putting it sideways or standing up affect how it works?

Sorry for the long post. What do you think? Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome.

Binome

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
To keep it from rolling, the bottom would be flat. It won't be a complete sphere, but almost.

I don't see there being a prblem with shaping the fiberglass. I was talking to someone who uses auto fiberglass for body repairs and he said there would be no problem as long as I had something to shape the fiberglass on. If it doesn't work, I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks for the link.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
This person is really good or extremely naive. Fiberglass is a major pain the in the a$$. The beach ball idea seems sound I would work with a hemisphere though. I'm not sure what epoxy resin other than fiberglass resin, perhaps he mean without the fibers premixed. That the kind used with fiberglass cloth.

The issue you will face is the mold will have to be extremely smooth and the even then the release agent will be a problem. Sanding a round surface will be almost impossible if you want to pass a glossy test.

If you pull it off though it would be quite impressive. I personally would love a chrome sphere for a computer case or maybe a disco ball that could be hung from the ceiling. Now if they could only get those blue-tooth monitors worked out...

Binome

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
I would say extremely naive, lol. I have never worked with fiberglass, but a friend who has, told me it would be easy. I haven't worked with an epoxy resin either, so I will see which is easier to use and sand.

It is going to start out as a sphere, but the finished case will only resemble a sphere. Being perfectly smooth and passing a glossy test aren't high concerns.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.