Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

having pokemon obey

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:23:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

It's probably not the smartest thing to do, but for now I'm relying mostly
on Bulbasaur to get me through the early part of the game, until I find some
good pokemon I want to spend time training. But I was wondering, at what
level will he stop obeying me? I don't have the second badge yet, and he's
at level 19. I've started working on a Pikachu and a Mankey for now, because
I'm afraid Bulbasaur might get too high and he won't obey me for the gym
battle with Misty. Is there any set way to know how far I can take him
before he stops obeying? I know it can't be over 30, but I figure since the
badge is for all pokemon level 30 and lower to obey you, I thought maybe if
he gets as high as 27-29, he might stop obeying as well.

--
John Salerno

More about : pokemon obey

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 11:20:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

As far as I know your own Pokemon will always obey you regardless of
their level. The only time you need to worry about their level is when
the Pokemon has been traded to you.

Eric

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMrcn.com> wrote in message news:<413f9488$0$6923$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>...
> It's probably not the smartest thing to do, but for now I'm relying mostly
> on Bulbasaur to get me through the early part of the game, until I find some
> good pokemon I want to spend time training. But I was wondering, at what
> level will he stop obeying me? I don't have the second badge yet, and he's
> at level 19. I've started working on a Pikachu and a Mankey for now, because
> I'm afraid Bulbasaur might get too high and he won't obey me for the gym
> battle with Misty. Is there any set way to know how far I can take him
> before he stops obeying? I know it can't be over 30, but I figure since the
> badge is for all pokemon level 30 and lower to obey you, I thought maybe if
> he gets as high as 27-29, he might stop obeying as well.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 8:19:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Eric Hertlein" <ehertlein@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:46719455.0409090620.12645b10@posting.google.com...
> As far as I know your own Pokemon will always obey you regardless of
> their level. The only time you need to worry about their level is when
> the Pokemon has been traded to you.

This isn't true. Traded Pokémon start disobeying sooner, though - I believe
they start disobeying at :L10 if you have no badges, whereas your own
Pokémon are closer to :L20. I don't know the exact numbers for each badge,
though.

--
Steffan
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 8:33:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Eric Hertlein" <ehertlein@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:46719455.0409090620.12645b10@posting.google.com...
> As far as I know your own Pokemon will always obey you regardless of
> their level. The only time you need to worry about their level is when
> the Pokemon has been traded to you.
>

Not true - I had some probs when I did too much leveling before badges...
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 10:34:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Steffan Alun wrote:
>
> > As far as I know your own Pokemon will always obey you regardless of
> > their level. The only time you need to worry about their level is when
> > the Pokemon has been traded to you.
>
> This isn't true. Traded Pokémon start disobeying sooner, though - I believe
> they start disobeying at :L10 if you have no badges, whereas your own
> Pokémon are closer to :L20. I don't know the exact numbers for each badge,
> though.

No, if you're the original trainer, the Pokemon will always obey you;
it's been this way in all games from Red/Blue through Ruby/Sapphire
(haven't tried it in Fire/Leaf). I frequently play through the game
using nothing but a single Pokemon, and I've never had a Pokemon disobey
me if it was originally mine, even when they hit level 30 before I get
the second badge.

The only time I had a Pokemon disobey was when I did the in-game trade
for Onix in Gold/Silver; it started disobeying when it hit level 10.

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 10:45:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Quite a few differing opinions here. I myself have never had my own
Pokemon disobey me. However, that said, I have never tried to level a
Pokemon to an extreme level without any badges. I suppose I could fire
up my Ruby game and start a new game, trade one to my Sapphire game,
level him up to 30 or so and trade him back and see if he still obeys.

Anyone else have a definative answer?
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 3:22:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"White Cat" <white_cat59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eWb0d.87486$jZ5.28463@clgrps13...
> Steffan Alun wrote:
> >
> > > As far as I know your own Pokemon will always obey you regardless of
> > > their level. The only time you need to worry about their level is when
> > > the Pokemon has been traded to you.
> >
> > This isn't true. Traded Pokémon start disobeying sooner, though - I
believe
> > they start disobeying at :L10 if you have no badges, whereas your own
> > Pokémon are closer to :L20. I don't know the exact numbers for each
badge,
> > though.
>
> No, if you're the original trainer, the Pokemon will always obey you;
> it's been this way in all games from Red/Blue through Ruby/Sapphire
> (haven't tried it in Fire/Leaf). I frequently play through the game
> using nothing but a single Pokemon, and I've never had a Pokemon disobey
> me if it was originally mine, even when they hit level 30 before I get
> the second badge.
>
> The only time I had a Pokemon disobey was when I did the in-game trade
> for Onix in Gold/Silver; it started disobeying when it hit level 10.


I had one start to disobey me in Blue, before level 30. I think it was my
Bulbasaur.

daramark
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 4:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

White Cat wrote:
> Steffan Alun wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know your own Pokemon will always obey you regardless of
>>> their level. The only time you need to worry about their level is
>>> when the Pokemon has been traded to you.
>>
>> This isn't true. Traded Pokémon start disobeying sooner, though - I
>> believe they start disobeying at :L10 if you have no badges, whereas
>> your own Pokémon are closer to :L20. I don't know the exact numbers
>> for each badge, though.
>
> No, if you're the original trainer, the Pokemon will always obey you;

Hmmm. Well, now that I've gotten the fourth badge, I'm set to level them up
for a while. I'm still really only using three right now anyway. Between
Bulbasaur and Kadabra, and sometimes Geodude, I can take care of
everything -- at least so far!
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 10:14:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"White Cat" <white_cat59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eWb0d.87486$jZ5.28463@clgrps13...
> Steffan Alun wrote:
> No, if you're the original trainer, the Pokemon will always obey you; it's
> been this way in all games from Red/Blue through Ruby/Sapphire (haven't
> tried it in Fire/Leaf). I frequently play through the game using nothing
> but a single Pokemon, and I've never had a Pokemon disobey me if it was
> originally mine, even when they hit level 30 before I get the second
> badge.

I definitely had one disobey me consistantly in Ruby and I had not made any
trades at all by that point...can't remember which Poke it was though...it
was really irritating.
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 10:14:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Raph wrote:
> I definitely had one disobey me consistantly in Ruby and I had not made
> any trades at all by that point...can't remember which Poke it was
> though...it was really irritating.

I'm betting you *did* trade - just not with another human. The ones you
get from in-game trades (such as that Makuhita in Rustboro) count as traded
and will disobey... Or perhaps you're thinking of Slakoth being Truant
(attacks only every other turn). But even if you had a level 100 'mon with
no badges, as long as you're the Original Trainer it *will* obey you.

--
"...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot
easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:38:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Joseph William Dixon" <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1040910173233.3060B-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Raph wrote:
>> I definitely had one disobey me consistantly in Ruby and I had not made
>> any trades at all by that point...can't remember which Poke it was
>> though...it was really irritating.
>
> I'm betting you *did* trade - just not with another human. The ones you
> get from in-game trades (such as that Makuhita in Rustboro) count as
> traded
> and will disobey... Or perhaps you're thinking of Slakoth being Truant
> (attacks only every other turn). But even if you had a level 100 'mon
> with
> no badges, as long as you're the Original Trainer it *will* obey you.

Nope not thinking of Slakoth but you could be right about in game
trade...didn't think of that. Right now in FR my Squirtle is level 30 and I
am holding off on next badge til I level a bit - too late to test with no
badges though.

I was thinking though that my probs were with my Treeko and he was my
starter, though...I remember doing in game trades for skitty and something
else - corsola maybe..but I didn't think those were the problem pokes. Oh
well - I am just not sure which one it was since it only happened the first
time I played through Ruby and that was a while (and many games..) ago.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 1:44:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Eric Hertlein" <ehertlein@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:46719455.0409100545.473fc457@posting.google.com...
> Quite a few differing opinions here. I myself have never had my own
> Pokemon disobey me. However, that said, I have never tried to level a
> Pokemon to an extreme level without any badges. I suppose I could fire
> up my Ruby game and start a new game, trade one to my Sapphire game,
> level him up to 30 or so and trade him back and see if he still obeys.
>
> Anyone else have a definative answer?

Now that I think about it, and having checked others' answers, I assume that
this is the answer:

The purpose of the disobeying rule is to stop you trading :L100 monsters
from another game and completing the game in minutes. It isn't to cause
difficulty if you're playing the game normally. Therefore, if you're the
original trainer, you should have no problems.

--
Steffan
!