Re installing Windows XP Pro from MS DOS

My Windows XP Pro system collapsed during a CheckDisk
session. It will now only boot to a blank screen and
ignores the F12 and F8 interrupts during the boot.
Using the MS-DOS floppy disk (produced by Windows XP)
gets me into MS-DOS, with which I am unfamiliar. I am
trying to reinstall Windows XP Pro from the CD drive, the
D-drive, but MS-DOS does not "see" any D-drive.
Can someone please help me.
All my current data is on the C-drive and inaccessible
until I can solve this. It is not backed up!
2 answers Last reply
More about installing windows

    "Malinche" <Malinche@AztecInternational.net> wrote in message
    > My Windows XP Pro system collapsed during a CheckDisk
    > session. It will now only boot to a blank screen and
    > ignores the F12 and F8 interrupts during the boot.
    > Using the MS-DOS floppy disk (produced by Windows XP)
    > gets me into MS-DOS, with which I am unfamiliar. I am
    > trying to reinstall Windows XP Pro from the CD drive, the
    > D-drive, but MS-DOS does not "see" any D-drive.
    > Can someone please help me.
    > All my current data is on the C-drive and inaccessible
    > until I can solve this. It is not backed up!

    Backup policies should be considered before problems arise. Try booting from
    your XP CD instead (assuming that your motherboard supports it). Otherwise
    you'll need a dos-based diskette with CD-Rom support.

    If a check disk failed a run, you've probably got a failed or failing hard
    drive.

    Greetings --

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Malinche" <Malinche@AztecInternational.net> wrote in message
    > My Windows XP Pro system collapsed during a CheckDisk
    > session. It will now only boot to a blank screen and
    > ignores the F12 and F8 interrupts during the boot.
    > Using the MS-DOS floppy disk (produced by Windows XP)
    > gets me into MS-DOS, with which I am unfamiliar. I am
    > trying to reinstall Windows XP Pro from the CD drive, the
    > D-drive, but MS-DOS does not "see" any D-drive.
    > Can someone please help me.
    > All my current data is on the C-drive and inaccessible
    > until I can solve this. It is not backed up!

MS-DOS Windows XP Windows