Why is PCI-E cheaper than AGP?

whrzmud

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
howdy ya'll,

just as the subject states, why are the PCI-E cards always so much cheaper then their counterparts in the AGP side?

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
AGP being phased out, pci-e more and more common.. not making many AGP cards, therefore they are more difficult to find, and the people with them can set the price they want.. ie, as previously stated, supply and demand..

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
It's simple. People with AGP slots generally have bigger penis's then people with PCI-E slots. To balance this, Graphic card makers charge more for AGP cards.

People may say different, but I got this straight from Nvidia and ATI! :D

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It could also be a ploy by the graphics card manufacturers to push people to PCI-E so they don't have to keep making two editions of the same card.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I dont see a reason why to keep upgrading that AGP system.

If you are some lucky guy that has a X850 XT PE or 6800Ultra AGP, you might be able to sell it on eBay and buy a better PCI-E card ;)

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
It could also be a ploy by the graphics card manufacturers to push people to PCI-E so they don't have to keep making two editions of the same card.

BTW, SEALboy, your signature had me cracking up for 15 mins...

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Yeah! But is not Barney! Is mpjesse!!!

His first signature had me cracking so much that I woke up everybody at home, and his second one made me laugh for 15 mins too hehe

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
It's simple. People with AGP slots generally have bigger penis's then people with PCI-E slots. To balance this, Graphic card makers charge more for AGP cards.

I'm sorry budha but this one is really hard to swallow. Do you have a link or facts to back this one up? :lol: :lol:

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006

I'm sorry budha but this one is really hard to swallow. Do you have a link or facts to back this one up? :lol: :lol:

The budha has no idea what he is talking about

pauldh

Illustrious
Supply/demand definatelty plays into it, but like Cleeve said the bridge chips add cost. And whatever that cost, it grows by the time it reaches the consumer.

Take the X1650XT. The same iceQ turbo model is $20 cheaper in PCI-e than in AGP on Newegg now. Considering if the rialto bridge chip on the AGP version cost them say about $8-10, it's surprising that we are currently only paying an extra $20 as you expect by the time that extra $8 gets to us the consumer, it would be marked up even more. It's quite typical the AGP version retails for $50 more and a good part of that is because of the markup from cost to retail on the $8-10 bridge chip. Also competition has to play into what retail prices are set at.

In the case of cards like the X850XT, then it's more supply & demand. For a while it was about as good as you could get in AGP, yet far outclassed by newer cards in PCI-e. So the AGP ones were being snatched up much quicker and prices of remaining ones shot up.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003

The budha has no idea what he is talking about

Indeed, I guess he forgot about SLI/Crossfire in PCIe. :wink: If these people can't have a large penis, at least they can have TWO SMALLER ONES. :lol:

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
AGP requiers more traces, especially if you are doing PCIe to the bridge chip then the traces from the bridge to the slot. So the added cost to the manufacturer is more than just the chip.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Supply and Demand
Yea, no one wants AGP anymore.

:? This doesn't make sense. If nobody wanted AGP cards anymore, their prices would be lower based on economics. It is more likely that fewer AGP cards are being built and the manufacturers want everyone to upgrade to a PCIe card. When there is an interface change like this, everyone eventually has to upgrade, which is good for business.

As far as the bridge chip is concerned, I can't see any way that one little chip is making the entire cost difference on some models. I don't think this plays a very large part in the pricing.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Better way to say it is

People dont buy them anymore

1) too expensive for the good ones (because buying the low-end ones are not worth it)
2) hard to find (if you find some, u lucky)
3) Not really a good option to keep updating that old system