Bluetooth or Wi-Fi?

May 27, 2005 6:57:12 PM

I have an iPAQ 5555, and am going to a convention in Chicago. I know the
convention hall will be a wireless hotspot. Do I have the ability to
wirelessly connect to the internet with the iPAQ as is, or do I need
additional hardware?

Thanks in advance,
Heidi Hunt

More about : bluetooth

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:08:20 PM

Heidi,

The 5555 has built-in bluetooth and 802.11b so you will not need any
additional hardware.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have an iPAQ 5555, and am going to a convention in Chicago. I know the
>convention hall will be a wireless hotspot. Do I have the ability to
>wirelessly connect to the internet with the iPAQ as is, or do I need
>additional hardware?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Heidi Hunt

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:08:21 PM

So if I am in a free hotspot, do I have to configure anything so that I can
check my Earthlink email via webmail on Pocket IE?

Thanks again for the info!
Heidi

"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> Heidi,
>
> The 5555 has built-in bluetooth and 802.11b so you will not need any
> additional hardware.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>
> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I have an iPAQ 5555, and am going to a convention in Chicago. I know the
>>convention hall will be a wireless hotspot. Do I have the ability to
>>wirelessly connect to the internet with the iPAQ as is, or do I need
>>additional hardware?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Heidi Hunt

May 27, 2005 10:07:05 PM

No, just point to the URL...Provided of course that the hotspot is not encrypted. If it is you need
the encryption key (WEP or WPA)...

http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:o x84Q6wYFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> So if I am in a free hotspot, do I have to configure anything so that I can check my Earthlink
> email via webmail on Pocket IE?
>
> Thanks again for the info!
> Heidi
>

> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!" <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in
> message news:e6ytYiwYFHA.3780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Heidi,
>>
>> The 5555 has built-in bluetooth and 802.11b so you will not need any additional hardware.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>
>> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I have an iPAQ 5555, and am going to a convention in Chicago. I know the convention hall will be
>>>a wireless hotspot. Do I have the ability to wirelessly connect to the internet with the iPAQ as
>>>is, or do I need additional hardware?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Heidi Hunt

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:07:06 PM

Fantastic! Thanks so much. My secretary will really appreciate my not
being MIA for a week...

Heidi Hunt

news:o 8VsNDxYFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> No, just point to the URL...Provided of course that the hotspot is not
> encrypted. If it is you need the encryption key (WEP or WPA)...
>
> http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>

> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o x84Q6wYFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> So if I am in a free hotspot, do I have to configure anything so that I
>> can check my Earthlink email via webmail on Pocket IE?
>>
>> Thanks again for the info!
>> Heidi
>>

>> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
>> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>>> Heidi,
>>>
>>> The 5555 has built-in bluetooth and 802.11b so you will not need any
>>> additional hardware.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Clinton Fitch
>>> Senior Editor / Owner
>>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>>
>>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>>
>>> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:11:37 AM

Actually with Earthlink you can set up that service in the Inbox on the PPC.
You will find that much easier to use than PIE and Earthlink's web
interface. I would do that before you leave so you can check it out. Note
that if you have your PC set to retrieve your e-mail with outlook
periodically, that removes the mail from the server and it won't be
available either through Inbox or web-mail. Turn off outlook or that PC
while you are gone.
--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
> Fantastic! Thanks so much. My secretary will really appreciate my not
> being MIA for a week...
>
> Heidi Hunt
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o 8VsNDxYFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> No, just point to the URL...Provided of course that the hotspot is not
>> encrypted. If it is you need the encryption key (WEP or WPA)...
>>
>> http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

>> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> news:o x84Q6wYFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> So if I am in a free hotspot, do I have to configure anything so that I
>>> can check my Earthlink email via webmail on Pocket IE?
>>>
>>> Thanks again for the info!
>>> Heidi
>>>

>>> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
>>> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:19:38 PM

.. . . or better still: adjust the 'advanced' settings in
outlook/express via tools(menu) > accounts(or services), etc. to
leave your mail intact for a set number of days . . .

jk

!