A new problem with an Old Router ( 3com 3c857)

DeBoX

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Cheers to everyone!

Well to start off... I have a good old ( very very old) 3com router , with the designation 3c857.

It's old but it worked....pretty much until now...

You see...I'm trying to setup up an ftp server going through the router, but for some reason the bloody thing dosen't want to let that happen.

I have done everything from forwarding ports 20-21 to trying to assign other ports (like 1025 etc...) to upgrading the firmware. And nothing worked. Now, I have tried to setup the ftp without going through the router , and that works like a charm.

Now I know you are gona advise me with something along the lines of, "why don't you just trash that shait and buy a proper one"....well all the freaking network connections are actually inside the wall it self, with limited accsess from the "outside" with out moving a huge amount of furniture. E.i buying a new router would be pointless since I can't get to the network cables behind the mentioned furniture etc etc

For the record I have heard of a couple of other cases ( not on this forum) where people that had the same router had similar problems, but so far I haven't been able to find a working solution ( or any for that mater)

So... anyone?? Ideas??? Help??? :oops:

Many thanks in advance! :)

Cheers

DeBoX

G

Are you setting up FTP in passive mode? What ports are you using?

Grumpy

DeBoX

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Passive mode??? To tell you the truth...I can say I've ever been given the option to choose modes...

Either way...I'm using the standard ftp port (ie21)

DeBoX

PS

Remember me=noooob

G

Active or passive require an additional port. Active also uses port 20. Passive uses 1023. What FTP software are you using?

Grumpy

DeBoX

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
hmm...cool....I'll try that later tonight.

Btw...I should mention that I have tried several different programs , including the built in ftp function in windows ( XP)....btw it sucked!

Thanks for the help so far :!:

DeBoX

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
That didn't seem to work either, I even registered with DNS4Me domain stuff.

The bloody router isn't giving up. :cry:

help :(

G

Are you trying to ftp to your server from a computer on your home network using your WAN IP Address? I don't think you can do that.

Grumpy

G

You can't connect to your ftp server from another computer on your home network. You need to have someone from outside to try to connect to the server.

Grumpy

G

IF you forwarded ports 21 and 50000 - 50004 and it doesn't work, I guess you're SOL. I don't have amy more ideas. Sorry.

Grumpy