Mapping an external drive?

Hello,

Is it possible to create a mapping to a drive of an external server?

E.g.:

At my pc (XP Prof) at home, I would like to create a mapping to a shared
folder of an external server (Win2k3) in an other building over the
internet.

I've tried to do this at the way I'm used to do it in our LAN.
Like: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\SharedFolder

Is this possible, and if so, what should i do to succeed in it?

Thanks in advance,

Remco

You cannot do that typically because there are going to be firewalls and
routers in your way to block this type of Netbios traffic through the
internet. Also this is extremely bad for hacks if you could do this!
Typically people setup a VPN connection so that they can tunnel this type of
traffic through a protected connection. Your going to have to talk to the
admin of the machine to find out what your options are.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Remco" <rembo_r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to create a mapping to a drive of an external server?
>
> E.g.:
>
> At my pc (XP Prof) at home, I would like to create a mapping to a shared
> folder of an external server (Win2k3) in an other building over the
> internet.
>
> I've tried to do this at the way I'm used to do it in our LAN.
> Like: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\SharedFolder
>
> Is this possible, and if so, what should i do to succeed in it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Remco

TRENDING THREADS