Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computer
  • LED Monitor
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
February 28, 2007 8:59:35 PM

Hey,
This computer has been running for a few months now but now it wont even boot.
The motherboard only has the green led blinking for both the old and the newly installed one. The power supply has also been switch out to a new Cool Max 500W Link
Now the only thing that hasnt been tested is the HDD and CPU

Computer Specs:
AMD 3200+ Socket 939 Venice
Coolmax 500W (12V rail1 +18A and rail 2 +16A)
EVGA 7600GT
Asus A8N5X
HDD: 80Gig main 250 Slave

More about : blinking power led problem found guessed

March 1, 2007 3:30:34 AM

Can someone help me out?
The Asus site doesn't tell me what blinking power leds mean
and phoning them didn't work either.

Could it be the CPU?
March 1, 2007 3:41:05 AM

Do the fans at least start up when you turn it on? Is there any beeping?

I've had a blinking power light problem on a friend's Dell before and it turned out to be a fried psu. I'd double check all of the connections, try a different outlet, different surge protector, the I/O switch and voltage switch are in the right position (on back of PSU the red voltage switch should read 115V)

My guess is that it is some kind of power issue, a faulty cpu would at least allow the fans to start up and might cause some beeping.

Hope this helps
March 1, 2007 4:34:21 AM

Sorry. Don't know what got into me.

Usually motherboard manuals have info on the LED blinking. Mine always have, and Asus is pretty good about their manuals. Now the question becomes: did you keep your manual, or chuck it upon opening of the box?

[EDIT]: Removed the horrible filth I had originally.
-cm
March 1, 2007 5:37:55 AM

No, the fans wont even spin and this is a new PSU.
We tried connecting the power cord directly to the wall outlet
and the same thing happens.

To Celewign,
Your reply was of no help at all
I could also link some of that crap but I rather not.
I wonder what happens to people like you, punk.
March 1, 2007 6:02:46 AM

The old PSU did die but both the PSU and the motherboard were replaced.
I suspect that the problem might be the CPU or HDDs but my cousin
said that it probably isnt since we should still be able to get into BIOS w/o em.
The condition of the CPU seems fine along with the HDDs, nothing turns on
when the power button is pushed. And yes I check the power button too.
(fans dont spin)
March 1, 2007 12:44:14 PM

But it should still shows the opening frame before it dies.
-cm
March 1, 2007 3:35:57 PM

Quote:
If the CPU is dead Then how is a signal supose to reach the video card?

Well Bios won't start without the CPU, so it wouldn't show anything, you're right.

But a faulty CPU still wouldn't explain no power to fans or anything, even without a CPU there should be power to the rest of the system.

To OP: have you tried stripping down your system to the bare essentials to get into bios? Try only powering the mobo, video card, 1 stick of RAM and fans.

Do you have a PSU that you know works that you could try? There is a possibility your new PSU is DOA.

Try flipping the I/O switch on the back of the PSU if you haven't already. Sometimes they come in the off position.

I'm pretty sure it's a power issue.
March 2, 2007 2:42:15 PM

Yeah good point. :oops: 
-cm
March 4, 2007 2:09:29 AM

Hey guys, after testing the old mobo with only CPU, HDD and a stick of ram IT WORKED!
Man, if I told you what was the problem you guys would probably not believe me.

Oh yeah, I just realized, the blinking LED that I was refering to was INSIDE the case(the only green one). Sorry if anyone thought that I was refering to the one in the front.

Anyways, the problem turned out to be the USB drive in the front of the case.
If the thing is plugged in the LED starts blinking and nothing turns on, very strange.
Fortunately, my cousin realized it must be some plug that was messing it up.
I would have given up when the second motherboard failed when I plugged everything back in,
I would have never suspected the USB plug.

Anyways thanks for the help guys.
August 26, 2011 4:38:37 PM

Gundam1s said:
Hey guys, after testing the old mobo with only CPU, HDD and a stick of ram IT WORKED!
Man, if I told you what was the problem you guys would probably not believe me.

Oh yeah, I just realized, the blinking LED that I was refering to was INSIDE the case(the only green one). Sorry if anyone thought that I was refering to the one in the front.

If the thing is plugged in the LED starts blinking and nothing turns on, very strange.
Fortunately, my cousin realized it must be some plug that was messing it up.
I would have given up when the second motherboard failed when I plugged everything back in,
I would have never suspected the USB plug.

Anyways thanks for the help guys.

Got the same behavior on Asus P5B-VM BO. The problem was the power-supply.
August 27, 2011 10:05:37 PM

Gundam1s said:

The same thing happened to me. I unplugged the cable from the front panel USB, and the LED on the mobo stopped blinking. One of the USB openings was damaged, I think that must have been the cause of it.

I turned the power on and the motherboard POSTed so I thought I was good to go. I plugged in everything else and now everything turns on but I never hear the POST beep. I've tried unplugging everything, to no avail. Maybe I need to remove the motherboard from the case, to prevent possible shorts? That sort of thing has worked for me before.
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2011 10:42:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!