Data question

Last response: in Network Providers
December 21, 2004 1:29:18 PM

I have a brother that has good AT&T/Cingular GSM/GPRS/EDGE coverage.
He's looking for cheapest unlimited data option to do basic web/email
tethered
from a laptop. We haven't purchased anything yet (including the laptop).

Here's what I was thinking:
- Cheapest $19.99/mo. voiceplan, add $20/month mediaworks.
- Choose a phone with either GPRS or EDGE and data cable
or bluetooth support.
- Buy laptop (I'm thinking anything new - probably toshiba, but whatever)

My questions:
- Is it possible to add mediaworks to the 19.99 plan or do you need one
starting at
a higher price point.
- Is it a problem to connect at EDGE data rates on this plan, or does it
require
the user to use GPRS. Handset recommendations gladly accepted.
I also assume an EDGE phone can fallback to GPRS when no EDGE is
available.
- I'm kind of assuming this use of mediaworks is an "abuse" given that
dedicated
data plans are more expensive. I stopped by our ATT/Cingular store
yesterday
and the sales guy said it's OK to tether the laptop and use MediaWorks-- or
at
least he was happy to sell it to me that way. Along these lines, any hard
limits
you all are aware of. i.e. X megabytes in a month flags your account??

Finally, my brother has an existing TDMA/analog phone and rate plan which
works perfectly
for him. He's reluctant to give that up, so would prefer to add a line of
GSM service
which doesn't screw up his existing deal. I do realize there's some cost
savings to
be had but not as much as you might think.

i.e. Existing plan 600 peak, unlimited offpeak includes nights at 8pm and
weekends.
nationwide long distance, 500 M2M minutes. Checking voicemail uses
M2M.
He uses 800 offpeak per month, mostly after 8pm on weeknights.
He uses 200-400 peak minutes on average. Cost is $39.99.

It would appear GSM rollover would be:
$39.99 for 400 peak with rollover,
$ 7 to get 7pm nights
$20 mediaworks (total about $67).

Separate line just for data if I'm not mistaken:
$20/mo for basic plan
$20/mo for mediaworks
total about $40 (or only $13 more per month to have separate
plan,
meaning $27 more per month would be
required to
make his new GSM+DATA plan look like
his
old plan)

So, sorry for the long discription, but I think my main concerns is if he'll
be able to use mediaworks this way without being turned off for abuse
since all of his use will be data through a laptop, and also if he can do
this
which phone is preferred.

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

More about : data question

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 12:29:13 AM

In <IYednfIZct3v9lXcRVn-gg@comcast.com> on Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:29:18 -0800,
"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote:

>I have a brother that has good AT&T/Cingular GSM/GPRS/EDGE coverage.
>He's looking for cheapest unlimited data option to do basic web/email
>tethered
>from a laptop. We haven't purchased anything yet (including the laptop).
>
>Here's what I was thinking:
>- Cheapest $19.99/mo. voiceplan, add $20/month mediaworks.
>- Choose a phone with either GPRS or EDGE and data cable
> or bluetooth support.
>- Buy laptop (I'm thinking anything new - probably toshiba, but whatever)

I'd go used or refurbished.

>My questions:
>- Is it possible to add mediaworks to the 19.99 plan or do you need one
>starting at
> a higher price point.

MEdia Works can be added to any Cingular plan, but only a Cingular. That $20
plan sounds like ATTWS. Cingular plans normally start at $30.

>- Is it a problem to connect at EDGE data rates on this plan, or does it
>require
> the user to use GPRS.

MEdia Works supports EGPRS(EDGE) where available.

>Handset recommendations gladly accepted.

Motorola V551 can do it all.

> I also assume an EDGE phone can fallback to GPRS when no EDGE is
>available.

Correct.

>- I'm kind of assuming this use of mediaworks is an "abuse" given that
>dedicated
>data plans are more expensive. I stopped by our ATT/Cingular store
>yesterday
>and the sales guy said it's OK to tether the laptop and use MediaWorks-- or
>at
>least he was happy to sell it to me that way. Along these lines, any hard
>limits
>you all are aware of. i.e. X megabytes in a month flags your account??

No "abuse" or limits.

>Finally, my brother has an existing TDMA/analog phone and rate plan which
>works perfectly
>for him. He's reluctant to give that up, so would prefer to add a line of
>GSM service
>which doesn't screw up his existing deal. I do realize there's some cost
>savings to
>be had but not as much as you might think.

Can't do that -- plans are either TDMA or GSM, not both (except in the case of
GAIT).

>So, sorry for the long discription, but I think my main concerns is if he'll
>be able to use mediaworks this way without being turned off for abuse
>since all of his use will be data through a laptop,

No problem.

>and also if he can do
>this
>which phone is preferred.

Motorola V551.

December 26, 2004 2:22:50 AM

Thanks much for the detailed reply John. I really appreciate the
information.

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu
December 26, 2004 2:52:28 AM

The 551 looks like a real nice phone. One more question (for me, rather
than my brother):

If one has MediaWorks do they pay for data separately when roaming?

The old AT&T data plans were arguably expensive but included data for
roaming
at the same rate as on the home network...

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 11:56:46 AM

In <19SdnYNFH74m8FPcRVn-tQ@comcast.com> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:52:28 -0800,
"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote:

>The 551 looks like a real nice phone. One more question (for me, rather
>than my brother):
>
>If one has MediaWorks do they pay for data separately when roaming?
>
>The old AT&T data plans were arguably expensive but included data for
>roaming
>at the same rate as on the home network...

There is no roaming charge on Cingular Nation plans.