I need an advice

alek_caminski

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Hello,

I just installed the windows 7 ultimate(64-bit) and I can not connect to the internet. When i insert the cd for the modem motorola sb5101 and it automatically checks for the PC performance, everything is ok except it says that i have RAM less then 32MB and i have 4GB RAM. I went to device manager and the installed RAM memory says 4GB. So is it possible that my modem doesnt read the RAM memory??
Please send me some advice
thank you

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
I have never run the CD that accompanies the modem from the internet service provider. (I never trust that they aren't going to try and load garbage onto my pc)

You can manually configure a modem yourself in a relatively short time.

Phone your ISP and have them walk you through it, they are usually happy to oblige. Make sure all the cables to the modem / pc are connected to have it set up in the quickest time.

alek_caminski

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

It says that my RAM memory is less then 32MB, I don't know how to check if it is the virtual memory :)

alek_caminski

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

So what you are saying is that my software is old so it doesnt read the high RAM memory ? I tried either way with the USB connection and with the Ethernet and it doesnt work, I downloaded all kinds of drivers to see if that is the problem but nothing works really. I will try with the 32bit version maybe it will work.

-------------------------

My PC, right click, properties, advance options, performance, cofiguration, advance options, Virtual memory, change and select "system managed size", set, accept and reboot the system.

alek_caminski

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

It was selected the system managed size, I tried and it doesnt work:(
i dont really know what else to do later i will try with the 32 bit version and if it works i'll let you know.
Thank you all

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
If its that old you could just browse the CD and try to find the INF file manually... but I do not know if this will work.

Maybe if you can go to a friends house and download some drivers for your modem from the manufacturer ?

Actually your thinking about Vista with 4GB's he should have over 2GB's free in 7.

My 64bit 7 install is sitting here using less then 2GB's of RAM with virus scan,fire wall, browser and some other stuff going on in the background.