Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Thoughts on PC doom predictions?

Last response: in Windows 8
December 15, 2012 7:27:30 PM

There are people who think the PC will be dead in the next few years. I say this is ludacris, as PC sales have only fallen a small bit, less than .1% and will always be needed in the workspace and for tasks that demand more than the measly specs that mobile devices provide. Yes, the PC completely destroys every other device but most consumers are quite ignorant and look at storage space more than actual specs. What are your thoughts? (Note: I put this in Windows 8 since it is the newest Microsoft OS)
December 15, 2012 7:46:27 PM

PCs will be abandoned only by the people who use them for social networking/e-mail/news reader today, i.e. tech illiterates. I say good riddance.
December 15, 2012 7:49:24 PM

As of now, tablets' and phones' touchscreen can't rival the keyboard in word processing. PCs are still going to be a major presence in business/productivity stuff.

Entertainment or email/checking? Tablets and phones are going to dominate because of their ease of usage rather than having to unfold a laptop, set it up and turn it on.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 15, 2012 8:04:31 PM

Touchscreen will never be anywhere as accurate and productive as the mouse and keyboard. Though I don't mind losing the tech illiterates, the constant talk of tablet dominance annoys me greatly. Especially when PC sales have not dropped. Though Windows 8 is good on the desktop, I still find it alerting that Microsoft is trying to make it more mobile based which is inturn making hardware manufacturers try to convert to mobile which only penalizes performance. Desktops will be around until hardware manufacturers decide to stop making hardware for them, which I hope is in a long, long time.
a b * Windows 8
December 15, 2012 8:11:31 PM

Hi :) 

Personally I think 8 will go the way of Vista or ME...

Pcs will last DECADES MORE...

All the best Brett :) 
December 15, 2012 8:17:07 PM

I don't think Windows 8 will ever reach more than 30% of the market share, despite it being the best Windows OS available. Vista was better than XP for the most part, and it still didn't succeed because of a bad rep and Windows XP lovers, the same with Windows 8.
December 15, 2012 8:17:14 PM

I think whichever OS comes after Windows 8 will be everyone's favorite like 98/XP/7. Every other Windows OS becomes popular, whereas the newest is always the best (with the exception of ME). Why this is I don't know.
December 15, 2012 8:20:26 PM

"Rock is dead."
December 15, 2012 8:20:30 PM

"Rock is dead."
December 15, 2012 8:20:34 PM

"Rock is dead."
a b * Windows 8
December 15, 2012 8:21:32 PM

The desktop one day will be obsolete, but not anytime soon, technological advancement is inevitable.

Maybe one day you can walk into your living room, swipe a game on your phone towards TV, then start playing it with a wireless controller or keyboard\mouse all while having ultra realistic graphics.
December 15, 2012 8:23:35 PM

God damn THG 404ing. Wonder if their web devs are screwing things up while working on the new forum system or hosting issues...
December 15, 2012 8:26:55 PM

sam_p_lay said:
God damn THG 404ing. Wonder if their web devs are screwing things up while working on the new forum system or hosting issues...

Yeah haha I edited my posts so I didn't double post.
a b * Windows 8
December 16, 2012 7:13:34 AM

Love long pc, bretts hiding under his pillow
December 16, 2012 7:29:24 AM

PC is going nowhere. If anything was going to kill PC then consoles would have done so long ago.
Its just the marketing people wanting to drive people the way of mobile because its got a bigger profit margin than PC.

I personally will never game on a mobile device and surfing is a pain as well.

Not everyone can afford the top end phones and contracts that make this easier than it is on midrange phones, and as with PC mid range is where the bulk of the market is.

Just as mid range phones cant touch a basic PC for ease of use for simple tasks/surfing, so a console cant touch a basic PC for gaming.

Mactronix :) 
December 16, 2012 7:35:56 AM

mactronix said:
PC is going nowhere. If anything was going to kill PC then consoles would have done so long ago.
Its just the marketing people wanting to drive people the way of mobile because its got a bigger profit margin than PC.

I personally will never game on a mobile device and surfing is a pain as well.

Not everyone can afford the top end phones and contracts that make this easier than it is on midrange phones, and as with PC mid range is where the bulk of the market is.

Just as mid range phones cant touch a basic PC for ease of use for simple tasks/surfing, so a console cant touch a basic PC for gaming.

Mactronix :) 

What he said. :) 
December 16, 2012 8:28:39 AM

PC's have suffered due to the longest console generation I can recall.

When consoles get upgraded, their 'new' software is ported to PC.
People then upgrade their PC's and/or buy new PC's.

When the Xbox 720 is released PC sales will probably increase at around the same time and afterwards.

December 16, 2012 3:06:40 PM

There's a song by Heatwave that describes the current and future state that the PC will be in, and it's called "Always and Forever."

There is no way a PC can be replaced by a tablet, console, or smartphone, in terms of performance and reliability (and relative productivity).

Sure, maybe some people who are using the PC for menial tasks will make the switch, but everyone else that actually needs to use a PC for both life and work won't leave the platform anytime soon... and the platform won't leave them either.
December 16, 2012 3:24:04 PM

I think the definition of a PC may end up being blurred.

For example, I attach a BT keyboard and mouse to my relatively lowly Playbook tablet and edit excel & word docs on the go. Does that make it a PC? My definition of a PC roughly involves having a mouse and keyboard as input devices and until someone invents / perfects though transference there is no better way to work with a PC.

Gaming is only a small part of the PC world - how many tens of millions of PCs are bought that are incapable & will never play games? It will (hopefully) help game development & GPU sales, but the next xBox / PS3 will not magically revive PC sales, which is mostly business or casual-use led.
!