How to Install Backup Utility?

Hi,

I cannot uninstall Norton Internet Security completely. The website
instructes me to modify registry. Before I do that, I want to backup
the registry. My computer(HP pavilion) comes with WinXP home edition.
The link below says to install the backup utility first. I only have 8
CDs with the computer. I cannot find the Valueadd folder in the first
CD. There is a partition on the hard disk as a restore drive.

Where is the following folder in my computer?

Thanks in advance.

Install Backup Utility for Windows on the Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition CD-ROM. Follow these steps to install Backup Utility for
Windows:a. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following
location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD:
CD-ROM Drive:\Valueadd\MSFT\Ntbackup
b. When the installation wizard is complete, click Finish.
6 answers Last reply
More about install backup utility

    Set a restore point with System Restore (Start>All
    Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore) or backup just the
    registry with Start>Run type 'regedit' and File/Export to...

    <freelait2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I cannot uninstall Norton Internet Security completely. The website
    > instructes me to modify registry. Before I do that, I want to backup
    > the registry. My computer(HP pavilion) comes with WinXP home edition.
    > The link below says to install the backup utility first. I only have 8
    > CDs with the computer. I cannot find the Valueadd folder in the first
    > CD. There is a partition on the hard disk as a restore drive.
    >
    > Where is the following folder in my computer?
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Install Backup Utility for Windows on the Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition CD-ROM. Follow these steps to install Backup Utility for
    > Windows:a. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following
    > location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD:
    > CD-ROM Drive:\Valueadd\MSFT\Ntbackup
    > b. When the installation wizard is complete, click Finish.

    The file you would enter into Start/Search would be "ntbackup" just use that
    (minus the "") to search first in your HDD and then in your CD's. Once
    found just double click it to install.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    <freelait2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I cannot uninstall Norton Internet Security completely. The website
    > instructes me to modify registry. Before I do that, I want to backup
    > the registry. My computer(HP pavilion) comes with WinXP home edition.
    > The link below says to install the backup utility first. I only have 8
    > CDs with the computer. I cannot find the Valueadd folder in the first
    > CD. There is a partition on the hard disk as a restore drive.
    >
    > Where is the following folder in my computer?
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Install Backup Utility for Windows on the Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition CD-ROM. Follow these steps to install Backup Utility for
    > Windows:a. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following
    > location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD:
    > CD-ROM Drive:\Valueadd\MSFT\Ntbackup
    > b. When the installation wizard is complete, click Finish.

    <freelait2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I cannot uninstall Norton Internet Security completely. The website
    > instructes me to modify registry. Before I do that, I want to backup
    > the registry. My computer(HP pavilion) comes with WinXP home edition.
    > The link below says to install the backup utility first. I only have 8
    > CDs with the computer. I cannot find the Valueadd folder in the first
    > CD. There is a partition on the hard disk as a restore drive.
    >
    > Where is the following folder in my computer?

    Not sure, but if all that is required is to back up the registry, creating a
    restore point using System Restore does exactly that. If your PC is running
    fine, remove all but the latest restore point. Install Norton's, and if it
    doesn't work out, you can restore your PC to the earlier time after
    uninstalling Norton's, and reset the registry to then.

    Do that PLUS get ERUNT and back up the entire registry with it also.
    Gene K

    In news:1110762582.307510.87430@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
    freelait2000@yahoo.com <freelait2000@yahoo.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Hi,
    >
    > I cannot uninstall Norton Internet Security completely. The website
    > instructes me to modify registry. Before I do that, I want to backup
    > the registry. My computer(HP pavilion) comes with WinXP home edition.
    > The link below says to install the backup utility first. I only have 8
    > CDs with the computer. I cannot find the Valueadd folder in the first
    > CD. There is a partition on the hard disk as a restore drive.
    >
    > Where is the following folder in my computer?
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Install Backup Utility for Windows on the Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition CD-ROM. Follow these steps to install Backup Utility for
    > Windows:a. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following
    > location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD:
    > CD-ROM Drive:\Valueadd\MSFT\Ntbackup
    > b. When the installation wizard is complete, click Finish.

    Setting a restore point is the registry backup.

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    If yuo only want to back up the registry then visit my website
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

    click on the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 62.
    Alternatively you can use a third party registry backup application such as
    Erunt available from http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

    <freelait2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I cannot uninstall Norton Internet Security completely. The website
    > instructes me to modify registry. Before I do that, I want to backup
    > the registry. My computer(HP pavilion) comes with WinXP home edition.
    > The link below says to install the backup utility first. I only have 8
    > CDs with the computer. I cannot find the Valueadd folder in the first
    > CD. There is a partition on the hard disk as a restore drive.
    >
    > Where is the following folder in my computer?
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Install Backup Utility for Windows on the Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition CD-ROM. Follow these steps to install Backup Utility for
    > Windows:a. Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file in the following
    > location on the Windows XP Home Edition CD:
    > CD-ROM Drive:\Valueadd\MSFT\Ntbackup
    > b. When the installation wizard is complete, click Finish.

Computers Backup CD-Rom Windows XP