Reinstalling Windows 2000 without formatting the partition..

Hi all! Can someone please help me with this? A few days ago, we reinstalled Windows 2000 for someone. We logged onto Windows, ran the cd from Explorer, and chose to Install Windows. When it came to the part of the setup where it allows you to delete the existing partition or create a new one, it wouldn't allow us to delete the partition. No matter how many times we hit L on the keyboard, it just would not delete. Why??? I know there are other ways to delete and format the partition, but we ultimately decided to just reinstall Windows over the current OS without deleting and recreating the partition. But I'm still curious about why we couldn't delete the partition through the setup. Also, when the installation was finished, we went into explorer and found some program files that were still there (at the root of C). Generally if you simply delete an application from the explorer, you'll start getting error messages in Windows. But we were able to successfully delete the folder containing the application files without any problems. I know this has to do with the fact that we performed a "clean" install, but I would really like to know why we were able to delete the folders like that and not receive any error messages. Can someone PLEASE explain that one to me? Thank you!!!
4 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling windows 2000 formatting partition

    > Hi all! Can someone please help me with this? A few days ago, we
    reinstalled Windows 2000 for someone. We logged >onto Windows, ran the cd
    from Explorer, and chose to Install Windows. When it came to the part of the
    setup where it >allows you to delete the existing partition or create a new
    one, it wouldn't allow us to delete the partition

    Windows will not commit suicide. What you were doing was, from within
    Windows you were asking it to, basically, kill itself and it said no! To do
    what you were asking required Windows to delete files it was currently using
    because you booted the OS.
    If you want to "kill" Windows you have to do it without it knowing. Boot
    from the CD, and delete the partition. You are then asking the Windows setup
    on the CD to "kill" the "sleeping" (not active) Windows on the hard drive.
    Since you booted from the CD the computer is not using files on the hard
    drive.

    >Generally if you simply delete an application from the explorer, you'll
    start getting error messages in Windows. But we >were able to successfully
    delete the folder containing the application files without any problems.

    That would depend on the application.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all! Can someone please help me with this? A few days ago, we
    reinstalled Windows 2000 for someone. We logged onto Windows, ran the cd
    from Explorer, and chose to Install Windows. When it came to the part of the
    setup where it allows you to delete the existing partition or create a new
    one, it wouldn't allow us to delete the partition. No matter how many times
    we hit L on the keyboard, it just would not delete. Why??? I know there are
    other ways to delete and format the partition, but we ultimately decided to
    just reinstall Windows over the current OS without deleting and recreating
    the partition. But I'm still curious about why we couldn't delete the
    partition through the setup. Also, when the installation was finished, we
    went into explorer and found some program files that were still there (at
    the root of C). Generally if you simply delete an application from the
    explorer, you'll start getting error messages in Windows. But we were able
    to successfully delete the folder containing the application files without
    any problems. I know this has to do with the fact that we performed a
    "clean" install, but I would really like to know why we were able to delete
    the folders like that and not receive any error messages. Can someone PLEASE
    explain that one to me? Thank you!!!

    Setup cannot delete the partition it started from. You must boot from CD.

    Greetings --

    It sounds like you're trying to delete the partition containing
    the system volume from within Win2K. You can't. This would be the
    computer equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and
    Win2K is "too smart" to allow this.

    Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all! Can someone please help me with this? A few days ago, we
    reinstalled Windows 2000 for someone. We logged onto Windows, ran the
    cd from Explorer, and chose to Install Windows. When it came to the
    part of the setup where it allows you to delete the existing partition
    or create a new one, it wouldn't allow us to delete the partition. No
    matter how many times we hit L on the keyboard, it just would not
    delete. Why??? I know there are other ways to delete and format the
    partition, but we ultimately decided to just reinstall Windows over
    the current OS without deleting and recreating the partition. But I'm
    still curious about why we couldn't delete the partition through the
    setup. Also, when the installation was finished, we went into explorer
    and found some program files that were still there (at the root of C).
    Generally if you simply delete an application from the explorer,
    you'll start getting error messages in Windows. But we were able to
    successfully delete the folder containing the application files
    without any problems. I know this has to do with the fact that we
    performed a "clean" install, but I would really like to know why we
    were able to delete the folders like that and not receive any error
    messages. Can someone PLEASE explain that one to me? Thank you!!!

    Yes, of course (d'oh!). That makes sense. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Greetings --
    >
    > It sounds like you're trying to delete the partition containing
    > the system volume from within Win2K. You can't. This would be the
    > computer equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and
    > Win2K is "too smart" to allow this.
    >
    > Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
    > opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
    > installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
    > devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all! Can someone please help me with this? A few days ago, we
    > reinstalled Windows 2000 for someone. We logged onto Windows, ran the
    > cd from Explorer, and chose to Install Windows. When it came to the
    > part of the setup where it allows you to delete the existing partition
    > or create a new one, it wouldn't allow us to delete the partition. No
    > matter how many times we hit L on the keyboard, it just would not
    > delete. Why??? I know there are other ways to delete and format the
    > partition, but we ultimately decided to just reinstall Windows over
    > the current OS without deleting and recreating the partition. But I'm
    > still curious about why we couldn't delete the partition through the
    > setup. Also, when the installation was finished, we went into explorer
    > and found some program files that were still there (at the root of C).
    > Generally if you simply delete an application from the explorer,
    > you'll start getting error messages in Windows. But we were able to
    > successfully delete the folder containing the application files
    > without any problems. I know this has to do with the fact that we
    > performed a "clean" install, but I would really like to know why we
    > were able to delete the folders like that and not receive any error
    > messages. Can someone PLEASE explain that one to me? Thank you!!!

Windows 2000 Partition Windows