Sign in with
Your question

How much of a performance increase???

Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2007 9:59:07 PM

See my sig for my system. How much of a performance gain will I get OCing to 3ghz? I mean, I know I can figure out the percentage increase, but with gaming would I see faster FPS or is that limited by my GPU? Will I see faster load and save times? Faster bootups on all applications? Will all this be NOTICABLE to the average person without using something like PCMARK to TELL you how your system is running?

Since I am not playing anything now I reset my mobo to the defaults and am waiting for a reason to OC before I do it again.

Thanks!

Eddie

More about : performance increase

February 28, 2007 10:49:04 PM

Quote:
See my sig for my system. How much of a performance gain will I get OCing to 3ghz? I mean, I know I can figure out the percentage increase, but with gaming would I see faster FPS or is that limited by my GPU? Will I see faster load and save times? Faster bootups on all applications? Will all this be NOTICABLE to the average person without using something like PCMARK to TELL you how your system is running?

Since I am not playing anything now I reset my mobo to the defaults and am waiting for a reason to OC before I do it again.

Thanks!

Eddie

no you probably wont see any difference.
except like you said only in a benchie.
March 1, 2007 1:19:00 PM

You might see a slight in gaming(doubtful).
Your video card is the bottleneck not the processor.
It should be an easy OC however though.
Related resources
March 1, 2007 2:01:01 PM

You will see a difference with encoding and decoding, but not much if any in gaming.
My philosophy is to let the process run that the speed that it truly wants to. What do I mean by that? My 2.4C runs at 3.0 with no added voltage and 3.2 with .05v added. It wants to run around 3.0-3.2, it's proverbial "sweet spot". My father's E6600 runs at 3.2, and that's what it wants to run at or it's "sweet spot". If you don't allow it to run where it wants to, it... it weeps inside. :cry:  And I would hate for you processor to harbor bad feelings toward you. Well, there is my insight into this situation and the feelings of processors.

Let me leave you with something to think about.
Does a Mustang GT want to go 70mph or 130mph.
Let it be free to open up it's possibilities and perform the way that it really can.
March 1, 2007 2:33:36 PM

You may not see it now, but with something later down the road you may. Or in any CPU intensive games then you may. Encoding as said above you will. Its all up to you and your want/need for better performance. If I were you, then I would go for it. or actually I would go for 3.2ghz by lowering your multi to 8 and the setting FSB to 400mhz and memory to 1:1 or 533mhz in bios whichever yours may say and then you will see much better overall system performance from the xtra 800mhz CPU speed and with the higher FSB speed being sync'd with your memory! Hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball
!