Delay in File Save

We have just installed a small network 1-2000 Server with 5 Windows XP
Workstations, and the users are complaining that when they save a file
(Usually from Word XP) to a network mapped drive it takes 30 seconds or
longer, during which time the entire workstation is locked up, unable to
toggle programs, or begin other functions. We have a Sonicwall that is
providing DHCP - and the primary DNS server is pointing to the Win2000
Server, 2nd & 3rd dns to the internet. The server has Active Directory, the
users and computers are all members of the AD.

I think the lag is comming from the system trying to find the shared
resourses even though they are mapped in the login sricpts, or they may be
trying to re-authenticate cached credentials? any suggestions?

Duane Murphy
Managed Information Services
duane@m-i-s.com
6 answers Last reply
More about delay file save

    and the primary DNS server is pointing to the Win2000
    > Server, 2nd & 3rd dns to the internet.

    Your AD clients must point to the AD DNS server ONLY. For Internet access
    setup the AD DNS server to forward requests, list your ISP's DNS servers as
    the forwarder. This is the ONLY place on your AD domain your ISP's DNS
    servers should be listed.

    See:
    How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    Hi Danny - you wrote:

    "Your AD clients must point to the AD DNS server ONLY."

    I saw, long ago, behavior on Win2K Pro that led me to believe that
    pointing to both the AD DNS and to the ISP DNS caused some strange
    problems, but I haven't used that type of setup recently; I now point
    to two different AD DNS on my network and everything is OK.

    Why shouldn't a Win2K client point to both types of DNS? I ask
    because I wonder if you have seen the same bug I have:

    After X days, the client loses the ability to resolve the names of
    some of the hosts on the AD domain, but external, internet hostnames
    are always resolved correctly.

    Workaround: ipconfig/flushdns command usually did the trick.

    I'd like to compare notes with you. - JL

    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message news:<#SCnf1caEHA.3524@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > and the primary DNS server is pointing to the Win2000
    > > Server, 2nd & 3rd dns to the internet.
    >

    > Your AD clients must point to the AD DNS server ONLY. For Internet access
    > setup the AD DNS server to forward requests, list your ISP's DNS servers as
    > the forwarder. This is the ONLY place on your AD domain your ISP's DNS
    > servers should be listed.
    >
    > See:
    > How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
    >
    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "MS TechNet" <duane@m-i-s.com> wrote in message
    > > We have just installed a small network 1-2000 Server with 5 Windows XP
    > > Workstations, and the users are complaining that when they save a file
    > > (Usually from Word XP) to a network mapped drive it takes 30 seconds or
    > > longer, during which time the entire workstation is locked up, unable to
    > > toggle programs, or begin other functions. We have a Sonicwall that is
    > > providing DHCP - and the primary DNS server is pointing to the Win2000
    > > Server, 2nd & 3rd dns to the internet. The server has Active Directory,
    > the
    > > users and computers are all members of the AD.
    > >
    > > I think the lag is comming from the system trying to find the shared
    > > resourses even though they are mapped in the login sricpts, or they may be
    > > trying to re-authenticate cached credentials? any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Duane Murphy
    > > Managed Information Services
    > > duane@m-i-s.com

    > After X days, the client loses the ability to resolve the names of
    > some of the hosts on the AD domain, but external, internet hostnames
    > are always resolved correctly.
    >
    > Workaround: ipconfig/flushdns command usually did the trick.

    Saw the same thing. The proper way to set it up is to configure forwarders
    on your DNS server and list the IP address of the ISP's DNS servers as the
    forwarder.

    MS TechNet wrote:
    > We have just installed a small network 1-2000 Server with 5 Windows XP
    > Workstations, and the users are complaining that when they save a file
    > (Usually from Word XP) to a network mapped drive it takes 30 seconds
    > or longer, during which time the entire workstation is locked up,
    > unable to toggle programs, or begin other functions. We have a
    > Sonicwall that is providing DHCP -

    Don't do that - best to have your W2k server do DHCP (DNS is a lot happier
    that way)

    > and the primary DNS server is
    > pointing to the Win2000 Server, 2nd & 3rd dns to the internet.

    That's a problem right there....all servers and workstations should specify
    *only* the internal AD-integrated DNS server's IP address in their network
    settings. The AD-integrated DNS server should be set up with forwarders to
    your ISP's DNS servers for external resolution. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202 for more
    info.

    > The
    > server has Active Directory, the users and computers are all members
    > of the AD.
    >
    > I think the lag is comming from the system trying to find the shared
    > resourses even though they are mapped in the login sricpts, or they
    > may be trying to re-authenticate cached credentials? any suggestions?

    Unlikely - if the above advice doesn't help - are you using a workgroup hub
    or a switch? Sure your cabling is good? Are you using autosense on your
    NICs? Best to lock them all down at 100/full or 100/half or something
    specific -

    > Duane Murphy
    > Managed Information Services
    > duane@m-i-s.com

    OK - I understand the setup for the 2K box, now what about the sonic wall?
    Should I remove the DNS Info from there and let the 2K box retreive all DNS
    or should I leave the DNS Info in the Sonic wall and use that as an
    alternate configuration should the 2K box become unavailable for some
    reason?

    Thanks
    Duane Murphy
    Managed Information Services

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > MS TechNet wrote:
    > > We have just installed a small network 1-2000 Server with 5 Windows XP
    > > Workstations, and the users are complaining that when they save a file
    > > (Usually from Word XP) to a network mapped drive it takes 30 seconds
    > > or longer, during which time the entire workstation is locked up,
    > > unable to toggle programs, or begin other functions. We have a
    > > Sonicwall that is providing DHCP -
    >
    > Don't do that - best to have your W2k server do DHCP (DNS is a lot happier
    > that way)
    >
    > > and the primary DNS server is
    > > pointing to the Win2000 Server, 2nd & 3rd dns to the internet.
    >
    > That's a problem right there....all servers and workstations should
    specify
    > *only* the internal AD-integrated DNS server's IP address in their network
    > settings. The AD-integrated DNS server should be set up with forwarders to
    > your ISP's DNS servers for external resolution. See
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202 for more
    > info.
    >
    > > The
    > > server has Active Directory, the users and computers are all members
    > > of the AD.
    > >
    > > I think the lag is comming from the system trying to find the shared
    > > resourses even though they are mapped in the login sricpts, or they
    > > may be trying to re-authenticate cached credentials? any suggestions?
    >
    > Unlikely - if the above advice doesn't help - are you using a workgroup
    hub
    > or a switch? Sure your cabling is good? Are you using autosense on your
    > NICs? Best to lock them all down at 100/full or 100/half or something
    > specific -
    > >
    > > Duane Murphy
    > > Managed Information Services
    > > duane@m-i-s.com

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > or should I leave the DNS Info in the Sonic wall and use that as an
    > alternate configuration should the 2K box become unavailable for some
    > reason?

    No don't do that.

    Either set up your Win 2k DNS server to forward to the sonicwall (assuming
    it forwards to your ISP or can resolve Internet URLs) or leave it out of the
    DNS equation all together.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

Servers Windows