a dos window keeps appearing and disappearing every five m..

Recently this behavior started:
Every five minutes a window whose contents are black appears and disappears.
This happens too fast for me to see the window title. i thought i could see
~DOCUMENTS../~ALL/.... in the title window. when the window appears the
cursor disappears even if i am tying something.
I ran latest Norton antivirus and it found nothing.

can someone help me fix this annoyance? is there a way to check what jobs
are on a timer (like the cron file in unix). if i look at the list of running
processes is there a way to find out whats causing it?

many thanks
Sriram
msriram@uth.tmc.edu

It sounds like spyware/adware to me. Have you run Ad-Aware or Spybot
or Microsoft AntiSpyware? All are good (and free). In fact I would
recommend running all three.

"Sriram_SF" <Sriram_SF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently this behavior started:
> Every five minutes a window whose contents are black appears and
disappears.
> This happens too fast for me to see the window title. i thought i
could see
> ~DOCUMENTS../~ALL/.... in the title window. when the window appears
the
> cursor disappears even if i am tying something.
> I ran latest Norton antivirus and it found nothing.
>
> can someone help me fix this annoyance? is there a way to check what
jobs
> are on a timer (like the cron file in unix). if i look at the list
of running
> processes is there a way to find out whats causing it?
>
> many thanks
> Sriram
> msriram@uth.tmc.edu

Just wanted to add that I installed and ran microsoft's antisyware and it
found nothing.
thanks for any help
sriram

"Sriram_SF" wrote:

> Recently this behavior started:
> Every five minutes a window whose contents are black appears and disappears.
> This happens too fast for me to see the window title. i thought i could see
> ~DOCUMENTS../~ALL/.... in the title window. when the window appears the
> cursor disappears even if i am tying something.
> I ran latest Norton antivirus and it found nothing.
>
> can someone help me fix this annoyance? is there a way to check what jobs
> are on a timer (like the cron file in unix). if i look at the list of running
> processes is there a way to find out whats causing it?
>
> many thanks
> Sriram
> msriram@uth.tmc.edu

Yes, I installed and ran microsoft's antispyware and it found nothing.

sriram

"bxb7668" wrote:

> It sounds like spyware/adware to me. Have you run Ad-Aware or Spybot
> or Microsoft AntiSpyware? All are good (and free). In fact I would
> recommend running all three.
>
> "Sriram_SF" <Sriram_SF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently this behavior started:
> > Every five minutes a window whose contents are black appears and
> disappears.
> > This happens too fast for me to see the window title. i thought i
> could see
> > ~DOCUMENTS../~ALL/.... in the title window. when the window appears
> the
> > cursor disappears even if i am tying something.
> > I ran latest Norton antivirus and it found nothing.
> >
> > can someone help me fix this annoyance? is there a way to check what
> jobs
> > are on a timer (like the cron file in unix). if i look at the list
> of running
> > processes is there a way to find out whats causing it?
> >
> > many thanks
> > Sriram
> > msriram@uth.tmc.edu

It's possible that those popup windows are caused by the
automatic update feature of Norton Antivirus. NAV has a default
setting to check for updates every 5 minutes.

Try the following:
Over at least a 15 minute period, make a note of the time that
these windows appear. Make sure you use the time that is shown on
your computer.
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks.
On the toolbar, click on Advanced.
From the menu that pops up select "View log".
Scroll down to this point in the log:
[ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]
Look for entries for NetDetect.job that match the times you
recorded earlier.

Another test would be to go back to Scheduled Tasks and right
click on the icon for NetDetect and select Properties. Click on
the Schedule page. Click on Advanced. Where you see "Repeat task"
change the time from 5 to 10 minutes. See if this changes the
command prompt windows now pop up every 10 minutes.

If it turns out that NAV is the source of these pop ups then you
might want to contact their technical support. They're probably
going to tell you to uninstall and reinstall the product.

--
Nepatsfan
"Sriram_SF" <Sriram_SF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> Recently this behavior started:
> Every five minutes a window whose contents are black appears
> and disappears.
> This happens too fast for me to see the window title. i thought
> i could see
> ~DOCUMENTS../~ALL/.... in the title window. when the window
> appears the
> cursor disappears even if i am tying something.
> I ran latest Norton antivirus and it found nothing.
>
> can someone help me fix this annoyance? is there a way to check
> what jobs
> are on a timer (like the cron file in unix). if i look at the
> list of running
> processes is there a way to find out whats causing it?
>
> many thanks
> Sriram
> msriram@uth.tmc.edu

A good thought. I too was thinking that it sounded a lot like when a batch
file runs and a dos window appears and disappears in the blink of an eye. I
have never seen it on a regular basis, though. Usually during an
installation if at all.

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> many thanks
>> Sriram
>> msriram@uth.tmc.edu

"Sriram_SF" <Sriram_SF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently this behavior started:
> Every five minutes a window whose contents are black appears and
> disappears.
> This happens too fast for me to see the window title. i thought i could
> see
> ~DOCUMENTS../~ALL/.... in the title window. when the window appears the
> cursor disappears even if i am tying something.
> I ran latest Norton antivirus and it found nothing.
>
> can someone help me fix this annoyance? is there a way to check what jobs
> are on a timer (like the cron file in unix). if i look at the list of
> running
> processes is there a way to find out whats causing it?

If you have an unused network card disable it in Device Manager.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Saw this about a month ago on a Windows 98 machine after running
a manual update of McAfee VirusScan. Also, helped a user recently
in the windowsxp.general group who experienced the same thing
even though she was using NAV. Both times making changes to the
jobs in Scheduled tasks stopped the popups.

--
Nepatsfan
"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in
>A good thought. I too was thinking that it sounded a lot like
>when a batch file runs and a dos window appears and disappears
>in the blink of an eye. I have never seen it on a regular
>basis, though. Usually during an installation if at all.

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> It's possible that those popup windows are caused by the
>> automatic update feature of Norton Antivirus. NAV has a
>> default setting to check for updates every 5 minutes.
>>
>> Try the following:
>> Over at least a 15 minute period, make a note of the time that
>> these windows appear. Make sure you use the time that is shown
>> on your computer.
>> Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks.
>> On the toolbar, click on Advanced.
>> From the menu that pops up select "View log".
>> Scroll down to this point in the log:
>> [ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]
>> Look for entries for NetDetect.job that match the times you
>> recorded earlier.
>>
>> Another test would be to go back to Scheduled Tasks and right
>> click on the icon for NetDetect and select Properties. Click
>> on the Schedule page. Click on Advanced. Where you see "Repeat
>> task" change the time from 5 to 10 minutes. See if this
>> changes the command prompt windows now pop up every 10
>> minutes.
>>
>> If it turns out that NAV is the source of these pop ups then
>> you might want to contact their technical support. They're
>> probably going to tell you to uninstall and reinstall the
>> product.
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "Sriram_SF" <Sriram_SF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> Recently this behavior started:
>>> Every five minutes a window whose contents are black appears
>>> and disappears.
>>> This happens too fast for me to see the window title. i
>>> thought i could see
>>> ~DOCUMENTS../~ALL/.... in the title window. when the window
>>> appears the
>>> cursor disappears even if i am tying something.
>>> I ran latest Norton antivirus and it found nothing.
>>>
>>> can someone help me fix this annoyance? is there a way to
>>> check what jobs
>>> are on a timer (like the cron file in unix). if i look at the
>>> list of running
>>> processes is there a way to find out whats causing it?
>>>
>>> many thanks
>>> Sriram
>>> msriram@uth.tmc.edu

Wow, this is genius! you were exactly right. it was symantec netdetect waking
up every five minutes. A BIG THANK YOU!!! not only for telling me what it was
but also for showing me how to find scheduled tasks.

it seems to have stopped today, BTW.

best regards
sriram

Glad to see you got it fixed.