Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IVs and breeding?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 7:47:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Are IVs passed on in breeding, or is it random?

--
John Salerno

More about : ivs breeding

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 7:54:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

John Salerno wrote:
> Are IVs passed on in breeding, or is it random?

Here's why I ask:

HP 15, Attack 14, Defense 17, Spec.Att. 6, Spec.Def. 26, Speed 31

As you can see, it doesn't help the Eeveelutions to have a low SA IV, so I'm
hoping that can change with breeding.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:39:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4142066d$0$6922$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...
> John Salerno wrote:
>> Are IVs passed on in breeding, or is it random?
>
> Here's why I ask:
>
> HP 15, Attack 14, Defense 17, Spec.Att. 6, Spec.Def. 26, Speed 31
>
> As you can see, it doesn't help the Eeveelutions to have a low SA IV, so
> I'm hoping that can change with breeding.


I think I read somewhere that stats were from the father in breeding but
don't know if that is a fact.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 8:17:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

John Salerno wrote:
>
> > Are IVs passed on in breeding, or is it random?
>
> Here's why I ask:
>
> HP 15, Attack 14, Defense 17, Spec.Att. 6, Spec.Def. 26, Speed 31
>
> As you can see, it doesn't help the Eeveelutions to have a low SA IV, so I'm
> hoping that can change with breeding.

In the Advance games, either two or three randomly selected genes/IVs
are passed down from the parents. The remaining genes are entirely
random, just like wild Pokemon.

In the Metallic games, the Defense and Special genes are always passed
down from the parent with the opposite gender as the baby, although the
Special gene has a 50% chance of flipping the most significant bit
(i.e. 15 becomes 7, and 7 becomes 15). The Attack and Speed genes are
entirely random (the HP gene is derived from the other four).

So yes, breeding your Eevee has a good chance of improving its SpAtt gene.

More detail here:
http://pokefor.greenchu.de/meowth346/gba/breed/

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 8:17:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

White Cat wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>>
>>> Are IVs passed on in breeding, or is it random?
>>
>> Here's why I ask:
>>
>> HP 15, Attack 14, Defense 17, Spec.Att. 6, Spec.Def. 26, Speed 31
>>
>> As you can see, it doesn't help the Eeveelutions to have a low SA
>> IV, so I'm hoping that can change with breeding.
>
> In the Advance games, either two or three randomly selected genes/IVs
> are passed down from the parents. The remaining genes are entirely
> random, just like wild Pokemon.
>
> In the Metallic games, the Defense and Special genes are always passed
> down from the parent with the opposite gender as the baby, although
> the Special gene has a 50% chance of flipping the most significant bit
> (i.e. 15 becomes 7, and 7 becomes 15). The Attack and Speed genes are
> entirely random (the HP gene is derived from the other four).
>
> So yes, breeding your Eevee has a good chance of improving its SpAtt
> gene.
> More detail here:
> http://pokefor.greenchu.de/meowth346/gba/breed/
>
> -- White Cat
> http://pokedex.kary.ca/

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Although I suppose a 6 IV isn't the end
of the world, I just which it had been switched with Attack, since the three
eeveelutions are all special attack-based, even if they do have some
physical attacks as well.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 11:57:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:414339c9$0$6929$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...
> Thanks, that makes me feel better. Although I suppose a 6 IV isn't the end
> of the world, I just which it had been switched with Attack, since the
> three eeveelutions are all special attack-based, even if they do have some
> physical attacks as well.

Remember that there are five Eeveelutions, and Umbreon relies more on his
physical Attack than his Special Attack. Not sure how those evolutions work
in FL, though (no day and night, right?).

--
Steffan
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 11:57:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Steffan Alun wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:414339c9$0$6929$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...
>> Thanks, that makes me feel better. Although I suppose a 6 IV isn't
>> the end of the world, I just which it had been switched with Attack,
>> since the three eeveelutions are all special attack-based, even if
>> they do have some physical attacks as well.
>
> Remember that there are five Eeveelutions, and Umbreon relies more on
> his physical Attack than his Special Attack. Not sure how those
> evolutions work in FL, though (no day and night, right?).

Yeah, I was just thinking of the three in FR/LG, although the other two are
also still SA-based (Psychic and Dark). To get them, you have to trade them
over to R/S, but since R/S doesn't have day/night either, I think you just
have to trade them over at the right time of time, since R/S keeps track of
time.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 5:32:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Hildr Katze wrote:
> sha3@aber.ac.uk (Steffan Alun) wrote;
>
> <snip>
>
>> Remember that there are five Eeveelutions,
>> and Umbreon relies more on his physical Attack
>> than his Special Attack. Not sure how those
>> evolutions work in FL, though (no day and
>> night, right?).
>
> The NP guide says that if you need to do a time of day evolution, you
> have to trade it to RS... after checking the clock in your bedroom (in
> RS) so that you know exactly what time it is.
> (Personally, I didn't know why I had to set a clock in RS until I got
> FL.)

But I'm still not sure why they took out the DST factor.
!