Stand for 50" DLP

I'm shopping for a 50" DLP. I'm leaning toward the Samsung. It has a width
of 46.5". So I'll need a stand that is at least 47" wide.

The stand that is specifically designed for it does not have cabinets and is
very modern. The problem for me is:

I have two small children and the components would be directly at their
reach - and kids love to push buttons.

And Our house is very traditional with cherry furniture and dark hardwoods.

It's pretty specific but I'm looking for a 47" wide stand that has glass
doors (so remote control will work) and in dark, cherry wood.

If anyone can help I'd love it!
4 answers Last reply
More about stand

    May need to check some of the up-scale shops in your area for ready made or
    have a cabinet company custom build one for you. Maybe a "Google" search
    will turn up compatible cabinets that you then can look for in your
    geographic area. Be advised, the DLP set will need adequate ventilation to
    preclude premature failure.

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:39:26 -0400, bigwave wrote:

    > I'm shopping for a 50" DLP. I'm leaning toward the Samsung. It has a width
    > of 46.5". So I'll need a stand that is at least 47" wide.
    >
    > The stand that is specifically designed for it does not have cabinets and is
    > very modern. The problem for me is:
    >
    > I have two small children and the components would be directly at their
    > reach - and kids love to push buttons.
    >
    > And Our house is very traditional with cherry furniture and dark hardwoods.
    >
    > It's pretty specific but I'm looking for a 47" wide stand that has glass
    > doors (so remote control will work) and in dark, cherry wood.
    >
    > If anyone can help I'd love it!

    Have you been to a furniture store? I'm sure the big stores in your area
    are carrying something like this.

    "bigwave" <dp29601NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm shopping for a 50" DLP. I'm leaning toward the Samsung. It has a width
    > of 46.5". So I'll need a stand that is at least 47" wide.
    >
    > The stand that is specifically designed for it does not have cabinets and
    is
    > very modern. The problem for me is:
    >
    > I have two small children and the components would be directly at their
    > reach - and kids love to push buttons.
    >
    > And Our house is very traditional with cherry furniture and dark
    hardwoods.

    > It's pretty specific but I'm looking for a 47" wide stand that has glass
    > doors (so remote control will work) and in dark, cherry wood.
    >
    > If anyone can help I'd love it!

    Hi,
    I had a similar requirement, but I was most interested in centering the
    screen at eye level when sitting in my La-Z-Boy chair (most stands were too
    tall). I found some 5 ft long shelving that was finished in a dark
    wood-grain, and went to the lumber yard for some 2 x 12 pine which I cut
    into three pieces, stained a dark color and used on edge to support the
    shelves at the left, right and the middle. I screwed the shelves top and
    bottom to the 2 x 12's making a very sturdy stand. No cross bracing was
    needed. For the doors I think you can get nice hinges and Plexiglas or Lexan
    cut to the proper size and fit them with magnetic (or stronger) latches.

    Hey BigWave...

    I'm sorta'in the same boat but my room is modern and I want all my
    components behind glass doors too. I think I'm going to build my own
    stand, and then surround it with two tower-like 6'6" cabinet towers.

    I did however, come across these two companies that might solve your
    problem and mine (outside towers).

    www.creativeideas3.com

    http://www.hookerfurniture.com/

    These two lines are sold by a company called Nassau's Furniture north
    of Hartford, CT. They should be available thru most bigger furniture
    stores.

    Doc

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:39:26 -0400, bigwave <dp29601NOSPAM@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm shopping for a 50" DLP. I'm leaning toward the Samsung. It has a width
    >of 46.5". So I'll need a stand that is at least 47" wide.
    >
    >The stand that is specifically designed for it does not have cabinets and is
    >very modern. The problem for me is:
    >
    >I have two small children and the components would be directly at their
    >reach - and kids love to push buttons.
    >
    >And Our house is very traditional with cherry furniture and dark hardwoods.
    >
    >It's pretty specific but I'm looking for a 47" wide stand that has glass
    >doors (so remote control will work) and in dark, cherry wood.
    >
    >If anyone can help I'd love it!

HDTV Home Theatre