Stand for 50" DLP

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 23, 2004 1:39:26 PM

I'm shopping for a 50" DLP. I'm leaning toward the Samsung. It has a width
of 46.5". So I'll need a stand that is at least 47" wide.

The stand that is specifically designed for it does not have cabinets and is
very modern. The problem for me is:

I have two small children and the components would be directly at their
reach - and kids love to push buttons.

And Our house is very traditional with cherry furniture and dark hardwoods.

It's pretty specific but I'm looking for a 47" wide stand that has glass
doors (so remote control will work) and in dark, cherry wood.

If anyone can help I'd love it!

More about : stand dlp

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:09:39 PM

May need to check some of the up-scale shops in your area for ready made or
have a cabinet company custom build one for you. Maybe a "Google" search
will turn up compatible cabinets that you then can look for in your
geographic area. Be advised, the DLP set will need adequate ventilation to
preclude premature failure.
"bigwave" <dp29601NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm shopping for a 50" DLP. I'm leaning toward the Samsung. It has a width
> of 46.5". So I'll need a stand that is at least 47" wide.
>
> The stand that is specifically designed for it does not have cabinets and
is
> very modern. The problem for me is:
>
> I have two small children and the components would be directly at their
> reach - and kids love to push buttons.
>
> And Our house is very traditional with cherry furniture and dark
hardwoods.

> It's pretty specific but I'm looking for a 47" wide stand that has glass
> doors (so remote control will work) and in dark, cherry wood.
>
> If anyone can help I'd love it!

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:43:20 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:39:26 -0400, bigwave wrote:

> I'm shopping for a 50" DLP. I'm leaning toward the Samsung. It has a width
> of 46.5". So I'll need a stand that is at least 47" wide.
>
> The stand that is specifically designed for it does not have cabinets and is
> very modern. The problem for me is:
>
> I have two small children and the components would be directly at their
> reach - and kids love to push buttons.
>
> And Our house is very traditional with cherry furniture and dark hardwoods.
>
> It's pretty specific but I'm looking for a 47" wide stand that has glass
> doors (so remote control will work) and in dark, cherry wood.
>
> If anyone can help I'd love it!

Have you been to a furniture store? I'm sure the big stores in your area
are carrying something like this.
August 23, 2004 8:05:09 PM

"bigwave" <dp29601NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm shopping for a 50" DLP. I'm leaning toward the Samsung. It has a width
> of 46.5". So I'll need a stand that is at least 47" wide.
>
> The stand that is specifically designed for it does not have cabinets and
is
> very modern. The problem for me is:
>
> I have two small children and the components would be directly at their
> reach - and kids love to push buttons.
>
> And Our house is very traditional with cherry furniture and dark
hardwoods.

> It's pretty specific but I'm looking for a 47" wide stand that has glass
> doors (so remote control will work) and in dark, cherry wood.
>
> If anyone can help I'd love it!

Hi,
I had a similar requirement, but I was most interested in centering the
screen at eye level when sitting in my La-Z-Boy chair (most stands were too
tall). I found some 5 ft long shelving that was finished in a dark
wood-grain, and went to the lumber yard for some 2 x 12 pine which I cut
into three pieces, stained a dark color and used on edge to support the
shelves at the left, right and the middle. I screwed the shelves top and
bottom to the 2 x 12's making a very sturdy stand. No cross bracing was
needed. For the doors I think you can get nice hinges and Plexiglas or Lexan
cut to the proper size and fit them with magnetic (or stronger) latches.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:25:21 AM

Hey BigWave...

I'm sorta'in the same boat but my room is modern and I want all my
components behind glass doors too. I think I'm going to build my own
stand, and then surround it with two tower-like 6'6" cabinet towers.

I did however, come across these two companies that might solve your
problem and mine (outside towers).

www.creativeideas3.com

http://www.hookerfurniture.com/

These two lines are sold by a company called Nassau's Furniture north
of Hartford, CT. They should be available thru most bigger furniture
stores.

Doc

!