Where can I find memory benchmarks?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Hey does anyone know where I can find some benchmarks for latency and speed? I want to know if getting 800 will really improve non-overclocked performance over 667.

Thanks

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Okay some of those benchmarks didn't make any sense... EX: 667 5-5-5-15 beating 800 4-4-4-12, but I guess that's just the way it is. My next question is: Should I overclock my memory to 800 and tighten timings? I have seen many reviews on it with people that had success. I have 1 GB Wintec Ampo DDR2 667, currently with 5-5-5-15 timings.

Mondoman

Splendid
Okay some of those benchmarks didn't make any sense... EX: 667 5-5-5-15 beating 800 4-4-4-12,...
There aren't any such results in the article I linked to. In fairness, the wording of the graphs is not always very good; for some of them the best score is the lowest (bar furthest to the left), so you might want to re-read the graphs.

Should I overclock my memory to 800 and tighten timings?
I don't know what CPU and MB you have, but my general answer would be "yes"; it doesn't hurt to experiment.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
No it was right to left, on the second page w/super pi. You think the memory will overheat if I overclock it? I have a Centurion 5 and the memory has a heat spreader... actually maybe 123 Mhz won't make much of a difference heat wise.

Oh BTW I have an ECS P965T-A and an E6600. Actually the ECS (Which was free) has moderate OCing abilities.

Mondoman

Splendid
No it was right to left, on the second page w/super pi.
Like I said, the wording on the graph is very confusing, but it shows the DDR2-667 CL5 being the 2nd *worst*, better only than DDR2-400 CL5. The DDR2-800 CL4 is the *best* of all of them. Shorter times (faster completion of benchmark) are better; shorter times are to the left of the graph, longer times are to the right.

You think the memory will overheat if I overclock it?
It shouldn't. Most of the heat is carried away through the metal traces to the MB, anyway (the spreader doesn't do much if the chips are in [non-heat-conductive] plastic packaging, which almost all are).

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Oh srry I get it now. I overclocked the RAM to 800 for about an hour and tested it with no problems... but I didn't see anything on the plus side either. Then I tried underclocking it to 533 and tightening timings to CL4, but didn't see a difference either, so I put it back to 667. Now I know if I can overclock to 400x9 if I want. Thanks for the help!

Mondoman

Splendid
Yep, as you've found, the big (noticeable) performance boosts usually come from speeding up the CPU, then making sure the other components can "feed" it at the CPU's maximum rate.

TRENDING THREADS