User Name and Password

I have sold my old PC and bought a second hand PC loaded
with Win 98. I used my OEM Win 2000 Pro to upgrade the
operating system. Having loaded the software I get to a
screen which has "Windows 2000 Pro Developed from Windows
NT" at the top half of the screen with the bottom half
asking for an User Name and Password with "OK" "Cancel"
(greyed out) and "Options". I cannot get beyond this
screen if I leave it blank and Enter, or make up an user
name and password.

Any advice most welcome!
2 answers Last reply
More about user password

    us;258289&Product=win2000

    Windows 2000 Logon Passwords
    View products that this article applies to.
    SYMPTOMS
    A new Windows 2000 installation, or a Windows 2000
    upgrade from Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows
    98, may unexpectedly prompt you for a password. The
    following notification occurs when you log on to the
    Windows 2000-based computer:

    Logon Message:

    The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name
    and domain are correct, then type your password again.
    Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct
    case. Make sure that Caps Lock is not accidentally on.
    CAUSE
    The Windows 2000 security model is based on the Microsoft
    Windows NT security model. This security model requires a
    user name and password before access to the computer is
    granted.

    The Windows 2000 security model is different from the
    Windows 95/98 security model in that no authentication is
    required to obtain access to a computer running Windows
    95/98. Users who upgrade from Windows 95/98 to Windows
    2000 Professional may not be aware of these differences.
    RESOLUTION
    If a user password is lost, forgotten, or unknown, the
    only method to reset the password is for the
    administrator (or a user with administrative access) to
    log on and reset the password in Computer Management.
    There is no method in the Windows 2000 security model to
    bypass, disable, or reset the password.

    If the administrator password is lost, forgotten, or
    unknown, access to the computer may not be obtainable and
    the operating system may need to be reinstalled.
    To Reset a User's Password
    If a user account needs to be reset, logon as the
    administrator or as a user with administrative access,
    and then follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, click Control Panel,
    double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click
    Computer Management.
    Expand the Local Users And Groups object under System
    Tools, and then click the Users folder.
    In the right pane, right-click the appropriate user
    object, and then click Set Password.
    Type the appropriate password, and then click OK.
    Click OK to acknowledge that the password change
    succeeded.
    Close the Computer Management console and Administrative
    Tools windows.
    The user can log on with the new password.
    To Reset the Administrator's Password
    Log on to the computer as a user with administrative
    privileges, and perform the steps listed above for the
    Administrator account.

    If the Administrator password needs to be reset, and
    there are no other users with administrative access,
    there is no way to recover the password and the operating
    system will need to be reinstalled.

    Additional Information
    A common problem that occurs is using the incorrect case
    for one or more of the letters in the password. If your
    password is not accepted, try this:
    Press the CAPS LOCK key, and then type the password
    again. If you remember holding down the SHIFT key when
    you originally crated the password, make sure you press
    the SHIFT key as appropriate, even if the CAPS LOCK key
    has been pressed.
    In Windows 2000, passwords are case-sensitive. For
    example, the following passwords are all different
    because the letters are in different cases in each
    password:
    password
    Password
    PASSWORD

    Type the password using different combinations of
    uppercase and lowercase characters. For example, if the
    password "password" is not working, try "Password"
    or "PASSWORD".

    Sometimes, the prompt to configure the Administrator
    password is inadvertently skipped, leaving the
    Administrator account password blank. To determine if
    this has happened, attempt to log on as Administrator
    with a blank password.
    If someone else has access to the computer, check with
    that person to see if they have changed the password.
    If none of these suggestions works, the operating system
    may no longer be accessible. Reinstalling the operating
    system and restoring from a good backup may be the only
    method to restore access to the system.

    NOTE: If the operating system is reinstalled, all
    previously installed programs and drivers will need to be
    reinstalled to operate successfully. Data files such as
    Microsoft Money files, Microsoft Outlook mailbox files,
    and so on, should not be affected by reinstalling the
    operating system, but these files will be lost if the
    hard disk is reformatted during the reinstallation of the
    operating system.
    MORE INFORMATION
    The Windows 2000 security framework is designed to
    fulfill the most stringent security requirements.

    The Windows 2000 Setup program creates a user account
    called Administrator on your computer that has
    administrative privileges for managing the overall
    configuration of your computer. The Administrator account
    is intended for the person who manages this computer. For
    security reasons, specify a password for the
    Administrator account. Leaving the Administrator password
    blank indicates no password for the account.

    The password you type in the Confirm Password box must
    exactly match the password you type in the Administrator
    Password box. Take special care to remember and protect
    your password. For additional information, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    256070 Deciding Whether to Upgrade from Windows 95/98 to
    Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258289&Product=win20
    00

    Subbu