How to delete start option

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My PC starts with two options - MS Win2k Pro and MS Windows. I don't know
why MS Windows is there. I want to delte from option screen. How do I do
that? Thanks.

Check out http://support.microsoft.com and query for this article, "Q311578
- How To Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows 2000". The boot.ini file gives
you the startup options of which operating system to boot. Make a backup
of this file and then if you want to get rid of the "MS Windows" option,
just delete that line and save the file.

bc

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I appreciate your help.

"Blane Clark" <a-blclar@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Check out http://support.microsoft.com and query for this article,
"Q311578
> - How To Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows 2000". The boot.ini file gives
> you the startup options of which operating system to boot. Make a backup
> of this file and then if you want to get rid of the "MS Windows" option,
> just delete that line and save the file.
>
> bc

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I couldn't find boot.ini file. Any ideas why? Thanks.

Dan <Dan@nospam.com> wrote:
> I couldn't find boot.ini file. Any ideas why? Thanks.

Boot.ini resides in the root directory of you first or only partition. It
normally has the hidden and system attributes set. You won't be able to
see it in Explorer unless you set it to show system files, which are not
displayed by default. In Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View
and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

If you don't want to do that, you can edit boot.ini by opening a command
prompt, changing to the appropriate drive if necessary, and typing:

attrib -s -h -r boot.ini

Then start notepad: notepad boot.ini
When you're finished and have saved your changes, restore the essential
attributes:

attrib +s +h boot.ini

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks so much, again. I'll take one more look.