How to format at install

When I did a clean install of W2K Pro, it didn't ask me to format as I
thought. I want to reformat and partition the HD. Is there a way to make
install format HD first? Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about format install

    When install offers the opportunity, delete that partition, then select
    the unallocated space as your install target. It will then ask which
    type of formatting you want. Then select, and go.

    Dan wrote:
    > When I did a clean install of W2K Pro, it didn't ask me to format as I
    > thought. I want to reformat and partition the HD. Is there a way to make
    > install format HD first? Thanks.

    That's what I thought. But when it showed existing partition, I couldn't
    delete by pressing "D".

    "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    > When install offers the opportunity, delete that partition, then select
    > the unallocated space as your install target. It will then ask which
    > type of formatting you want. Then select, and go.
    >
    > Dan wrote:
    > > When I did a clean install of W2K Pro, it didn't ask me to format as I
    > > thought. I want to reformat and partition the HD. Is there a way to make
    > > install format HD first? Thanks.

    Are you installing by either booting from the CD or from the 4 setup
    diskettes? If not, it occurs to me that you may be running the install
    *UNDER* W2k or some other OS, which will not allow you to maltreat the
    current system partition. Just a thought; if, for example, you launch
    the winnt.exe or winnt32.exe installer from within a running system,
    that'll be the symptom (I believe.)

    Dan wrote:

    > That's what I thought. But when it showed existing partition, I couldn't
    > delete by pressing "D".
    >
    > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>When install offers the opportunity, delete that partition, then select
    >>the unallocated space as your install target. It will then ask which
    >>type of formatting you want. Then select, and go.
    >>
    >>Dan wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I did a clean install of W2K Pro, it didn't ask me to format as I
    >>>thought. I want to reformat and partition the HD. Is there a way to make
    >>>install format HD first? Thanks.

    Yes, I had an OS and I wanted to replace it with W2K. I tried both CD and
    disks bootup, but neither allowed me to format the HD. Thanks.

    > Are you installing by either booting from the CD or from the 4 setup
    > diskettes? If not, it occurs to me that you may be running the install
    > *UNDER* W2k or some other OS, which will not allow you to maltreat the
    > current system partition. Just a thought; if, for example, you launch
    > the winnt.exe or winnt32.exe installer from within a running system,
    > that'll be the symptom (I believe.)
    >
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    > > That's what I thought. But when it showed existing partition, I couldn't
    > > delete by pressing "D".
    > >
    > > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>When install offers the opportunity, delete that partition, then select
    > >>the unallocated space as your install target. It will then ask which
    > >>type of formatting you want. Then select, and go.

    Hmm. I'm groping in the dark now. How about BIOS settings protecting
    that HDD? (Boot sector antivirus setting?)

    If all else fails, maybe a W98 fdisk? Believe you can find this on the
    web if necessary.)

    Ultimately, a 3rd party utility, like Partition Magic etc.

    And before you consider leaping out a window, you can always mount the
    HDD, on that or another machine, as something other than Primary
    Master...then boot to something and wipe that partition.

    Dan wrote:
    > Yes, I had an OS and I wanted to replace it with W2K. I tried both CD and
    > disks bootup, but neither allowed me to format the HD. Thanks.
    >
    > "Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Are you installing by either booting from the CD or from the 4 setup
    >>diskettes? If not, it occurs to me that you may be running the install
    >>*UNDER* W2k or some other OS, which will not allow you to maltreat the
    >>current system partition. Just a thought; if, for example, you launch
    >>the winnt.exe or winnt32.exe installer from within a running system,
    >>that'll be the symptom (I believe.)
    >>
    >>Dan wrote:
    >>

    >>>That's what I thought. But when it showed existing partition, I couldn't
    >>>delete by pressing "D".
    >>>
    >>>"Dan Seur" <click@casta.net> wrote in message

    > make

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    If you start with a newly formatted drive and load a
    Windows O/S, it's greedy and will take the whole thing.

    I would fdisk, then create a primary boot partition of
    some size, up to 510 MB, and install MS DOS (w/FAT file
    structure), and have a CD-ROM driver identified in the
    config.sys file.

    Then, I'd use fdisk to create another partition intended
    for Win2K, making sure not to use up the remaining space
    on hard drive, but would save some for another
    partition. Format the partition intended for Win2K in
    NTFS file structure. The "other" partition can be
    formated using fdisk, or in Win2K, once that O/S is
    loaded.

    I'd boot to C: DOS, with CDROM boot capability. Might
    have to go into BIOS and set boot order to 1. floppy, 2.
    CDROM, 3. Hard Drive. Then I'd put the Win2K install cd
    in and reboot. The install cd might require 4 floppys to
    go along with the install process. If so, you need to
    have them handy, and when you reboot, start with floppy
    empty. It'll prompt your for floppy #1, #2, etc.

    Regards

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I've seen how GRUB prohibited the access to MBR and partition table.

HD Clean Install Format Windows