heatsink how-to

cosmicnut

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Wierd situation.
I wanted to go dual core but didn't have much cash to splash.
So I got a Asrock dualvsta that has an AGP as well as a PCI-E. This ment I could use my still quite powerfull 6800Ultra in my new rig.

Now, thanks to a small cash injection I've ordered a modest 8800GTX.

Problem is that i've just found out that the mobo is only 4xPCI-e not 16x.....
bit of a waste of that powerfull graphics card (if it works at all!)

so it's NEW MOBO TIME!!!!

the one thing I am not confident in, is replacing CPU coolers. Normally I chicken out and use the stock cooler with their pre-applied heat transfer goo.

What I need is either a very good cooler that comes with pre-applied paste

or a way for someone who can just about use a screwdriver to apply the themal paste properly.

I'm not the kind of person that has cleaning alcohol around (would a bud work ;-) )
I'm also useless at anything the needs small detail work.

I'm probably not going to overclock, I just need something that will keep my CPU (Core2Duo E6600) cool and be a piece of cake to fit.

Simplicity is the keyword!

Mondoman

Splendid
You're going to have to clean off the top of the CPU anyway, so you might as well clean off the CPU cooler while you're at it. You should be able to get a tube/syringe of Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound at Radio Shack, CompUSA, or a similar store for under $10. Anhydrous isopropyl alcohol for cleaning is available at the supermarket/drugstore.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Haha! I use a paper towel! And, I will CONTINUE using a paper towel to whipe old thermal compound off. ;-) To each their own I guess. I love how anal people are on THG. *Laughing. :p

cosmicnut

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Thanks guys.
Feeling better about the job.

oh, remember the days that a CPU was this large, black thing. All you had to do was press the darn thing in with any old food covered digit!