What is sequence to install Updates?

Rei

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004

I have a computer with WIN2000P that was corrupted by (I
think) a virus. It connects to the Internet via dial-
up. I have another computer with WIN XP Pro which has a
broadband connection. I have reformated the WIN2000P
hard drive and re-installed WIN2000 using the boot disk
setup. I am now in the process of installing all of the
Windows Update files. Since the WIN2000 is connected via
the slower dial-up connection, I have downloaded all of
the required files (I think) at the support.microsoft.com
site eg.
q81114_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe....sp1express.exe...sp4Express_E
N.exe
I count (15) Q..._W2K_SP4_X86_ENE.exe files and (4)
spxexpress.exe files.

My question is:
Is there a specific sequence to execute the .exe files I
must adhere to, and what is it?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:16:22 -0700, "Rei" <reionara@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a computer with WIN2000P that was corrupted by (I
>think) a virus. It connects to the Internet via dial-
>up. I have another computer with WIN XP Pro which has a
>broadband connection. I have reformated the WIN2000P
>hard drive and re-installed WIN2000 using the boot disk
>setup. I am now in the process of installing all of the
>Windows Update files. Since the WIN2000 is connected via
>the slower dial-up connection, I have downloaded all of
>the required files (I think) at the support.microsoft.com
>site eg.
>q81114_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe....sp1express.exe...sp4Express_E
>N.exe
>I count (15) Q..._W2K_SP4_X86_ENE.exe files and (4)
>spxexpress.exe files.
>
>My question is:
>Is there a specific sequence to execute the .exe files I
>must adhere to, and what is it?

I suppose it is not possible to create a small network and let the XP
computer share its Internet connection with the W2K computer? Because
if it did, it would be a lot easier. Anyway, the proper sequence is as
follows :

First of all, if your W2K box has a slower dailup connection, do not
use the express install for a Service Pack. Instead, go for the
network install. The download is bigger, but after that, your W2k pc
doesn't need to download additional components anymore to complete the
service pack setup.
Next, ONLY install the latest service pack (SP4). It is pointless to
install SP1 first, and then SP4. You can find the SP4 Network Install
here :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1001aaf1-749f-49f4-8010-297bd6ca33a0&DisplayLang=en

Then, after the SP4 install, check again which separate updates and
patches need to be installed, and chain them together in a single
install on the W2K computer, so you don't need to reboot after every
install. More info on this topic can be found here :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296861

If you follow this correctly, you can have your W2K box totally
updated with only 2 reboots.

Wannes