Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

looking for sample HDTV content

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 24, 2004 9:42:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

From what I know about HDTV signals, I should be able to view HD quality on
my PC, correct? I've never seen HD and am wondering if there are examples
of stuff I can download to see what it would look like (yes, I realize the
size of the data will be very large). I have an HD capable NEC projector I
have hooked up to my home theater system that I'd love to use for
demonstrating something to my wife (ie, convince her we need new home
theater gear :) ). Thanks!

More about : sample hdtv content

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:42:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:X5LWc.5810$rT1.3505@trndny02...
> From what I know about HDTV signals, I should be able to view HD quality
> on my PC, correct? I've never seen HD and am wondering if there are
> examples of stuff I can download to see what it would look like (yes, I
> realize the size of the data will be very large). I have an HD capable
> NEC projector I have hooked up to my home theater system that I'd love to
> use for demonstrating something to my wife (ie, convince her we need new
> home theater gear :) ). Thanks!
>
>

If your PC has the power for it, the DVD's of Step Into Liquid (outstanding
surfing documentary by the producers of The Endless Summer) and Terminator 2
Extreme Edition both have Windows Media 9 Hi Def files of the movies. Also,
it wouldn't be moving, but a photo on your PC at about 1920 x 1080 pixels is
the same resolution as the maximum resolution of ATSC high definition.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 10:28:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:X5LWc.5810$rT1.3505@trndny02...

> From what I know about HDTV signals, I should be able to view HD quality
on
> my PC, correct? I've never seen HD and am wondering if there are examples
> of stuff I can download to see what it would look like (yes, I realize the
> size of the data will be very large). I have an HD capable NEC projector
I
> have hooked up to my home theater system that I'd love to use for
> demonstrating something to my wife (ie, convince her we need new home
> theater gear :) ). Thanks!

Quick answer:
For content, check out the newsgroup alt.binaries.hdtv or you might Google
for sample hdtv files.
For software based players (such as VideoLAN from www.videolan.org), you'll
need a powerful CPU, up to 3GHz. Otherwise, you'll need the assistance of a
hardware HDTV video card.

Related resources
August 24, 2004 11:19:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Walter White" <wsquaredREMOVE-CAPS@gte.net> wrote in message
news:YMLWc.1945$2F.957@trnddc05...
> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:X5LWc.5810$rT1.3505@trndny02...
>
>> From what I know about HDTV signals, I should be able to view HD quality
> on
>> my PC, correct? I've never seen HD and am wondering if there are
>> examples
>> of stuff I can download to see what it would look like (yes, I realize
>> the
>> size of the data will be very large). I have an HD capable NEC projector
> I
>> have hooked up to my home theater system that I'd love to use for
>> demonstrating something to my wife (ie, convince her we need new home
>> theater gear :) ). Thanks!
>
> Quick answer:
> For content, check out the newsgroup alt.binaries.hdtv or you might Google
> for sample hdtv files.
> For software based players (such as VideoLAN from www.videolan.org),
> you'll
> need a powerful CPU, up to 3GHz. Otherwise, you'll need the assistance of
> a
> hardware HDTV video card.
>
> W²
>

thanks, i only found some japanese content with google searches. with the
newsgroups, i dont think my nntpd is reliable enough. braveheart is up
there in part, but its a total of 101 rar files, where each rar is posted to
the NG broken up into 79 chunks each. that means i'd need to download 8000
files. the download isn't a big deal, but the likelihood of all 8000 being
available, none missing or corrupt is probably close to zero.
August 25, 2004 12:42:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Mike Rush" <miker@avenuenospamcable.com> wrote in message
news:IvNWc.214$DO4.4599@eagle.america.net...
> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:X5LWc.5810$rT1.3505@trndny02...
>> From what I know about HDTV signals, I should be able to view HD quality
>> on my PC, correct? I've never seen HD and am wondering if there are
>> examples of stuff I can download to see what it would look like (yes, I
>> realize the size of the data will be very large). I have an HD capable
>> NEC projector I have hooked up to my home theater system that I'd love to
>> use for demonstrating something to my wife (ie, convince her we need new
>> home theater gear :) ). Thanks!
>>
>>
>
> If your PC has the power for it, the DVD's of Step Into Liquid
> (outstanding surfing documentary by the producers of The Endless Summer)
> and Terminator 2 Extreme Edition both have Windows Media 9 Hi Def files of
> the movies. Also, it wouldn't be moving, but a photo on your PC at about
> 1920 x 1080 pixels is the same resolution as the maximum resolution of
> ATSC high definition.

thanks for that info!! T2, one of my fav movies... i have the original
release, but I'm sure someone around here at work has T2EE. i may not quite
be there on the PC requirements though... 2.8G celeron, 512meg memory,
GeForce2 MX video, XP Pro.
August 25, 2004 12:48:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:MKNWc.40$7e6.31@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
>

> thanks for that info!! T2, one of my fav movies... i have the original
> release, but I'm sure someone around here at work has T2EE. i may not
> quite be there on the PC requirements though... 2.8G celeron, 512meg
> memory, GeForce2 MX video, XP Pro.
>
just found a list of the microsoft HD stuff here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_p...
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:03:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Rob,

You can download samples of all those movies here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/G...

You probably would have found the downloads eventually as you were in the
right "neighborhood" but just wanted to make sure.

Brad

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:QQNWc.8041$VY.4939@trndny09...
>
>
> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:MKNWc.40$7e6.31@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
>>
>
>> thanks for that info!! T2, one of my fav movies... i have the original
>> release, but I'm sure someone around here at work has T2EE. i may not
>> quite be there on the PC requirements though... 2.8G celeron, 512meg
>> memory, GeForce2 MX video, XP Pro.
>>
> just found a list of the microsoft HD stuff here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_p...
>
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:15:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

> From what I know about HDTV signals, I should be able to view HD quality on
> my PC, correct? I've never seen HD and am wondering if there are examples
> of stuff I can download to see what it would look like (yes, I realize the
> size of the data will be very large). I have an HD capable NEC projector I
> have hooked up to my home theater system that I'd love to use for
> demonstrating something to my wife (ie, convince her we need new home
> theater gear :) ). Thanks!


go to alt.binaries.hdtv
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 7:55:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

There are a few more WMV9-HD movie trailers at http://www.wmvhd.com

But the original poster's PC is probably too slow to play them.
Many of those trailers incorporate 'DRM' (digital rights management),
which means the files must be 'de-crypted' before playback.

(It also means the WMP-player needs to contact the Microsoft website
to checkout alicense... but if you can download the trailer then
you can obviously check out the license, so that shouldn't be a
problem.)

Brad Griffis wrote:

> Rob,
>
> You can download samples of all those movies here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/G...
>
> You probably would have found the downloads eventually as you were in the
> right "neighborhood" but just wanted to make sure.
>
> Brad
>
> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:QQNWc.8041$VY.4939@trndny09...
>
>>
>>"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>news:MKNWc.40$7e6.31@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
>>
>>>thanks for that info!! T2, one of my fav movies... i have the original
>>>release, but I'm sure someone around here at work has T2EE. i may not
>>>quite be there on the PC requirements though... 2.8G celeron, 512meg
>>>memory, GeForce2 MX video, XP Pro.
>>>
>>
>>just found a list of the microsoft HD stuff here:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_p...
>>
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:06:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Bnzjk (Bnzb@kjs.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> (It also means the WMP-player needs to contact the Microsoft website
> to checkout alicense... but if you can download the trailer then
> you can obviously check out the license, so that shouldn't be a
> problem.)

This isn't actually true.

Anybody can download the content, but the DRM server insists that your IP
address be in the US for at least some of the demos.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/TiVoAndBeer.gif
AskDOJ@usdoj.gov |
spam@ftc.gov |
August 27, 2004 4:26:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

thanks, i did okay with the 720p stuff, but 1080i was just too much for my
pc.

"Bnzjk" <Bnzb@kjs.com> wrote in message
news:LgyXc.8586$QJ3.5429@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> There are a few more WMV9-HD movie trailers at http://www.wmvhd.com
>
> But the original poster's PC is probably too slow to play them.
> Many of those trailers incorporate 'DRM' (digital rights management),
> which means the files must be 'de-crypted' before playback.
>
> (It also means the WMP-player needs to contact the Microsoft website
> to checkout alicense... but if you can download the trailer then
> you can obviously check out the license, so that shouldn't be a
> problem.)
>
> Brad Griffis wrote:
>
>> Rob,
>>
>> You can download samples of all those movies here:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/G...
>>
>> You probably would have found the downloads eventually as you were in the
>> right "neighborhood" but just wanted to make sure.
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:QQNWc.8041$VY.4939@trndny09...
>>
>>>
>>>"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>news:MKNWc.40$7e6.31@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
>>>
>>>>thanks for that info!! T2, one of my fav movies... i have the original
>>>>release, but I'm sure someone around here at work has T2EE. i may not
>>>>quite be there on the PC requirements though... 2.8G celeron, 512meg
>>>>memory, GeForce2 MX video, XP Pro.
>>>>
>>>
>>>just found a list of the microsoft HD stuff here:
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_p...
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:52:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:TLFXc.11492$oA.10757@trndny04...
> thanks, i did okay with the 720p stuff, but 1080i was just too much for my
> pc.

Time for a new PC?
August 28, 2004 8:21:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:18GdnU5p_OAl-7LcRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
>
> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:TLFXc.11492$oA.10757@trndny04...
>> thanks, i did okay with the 720p stuff, but 1080i was just too much for
>> my
>> pc.
>
> Time for a new PC?
>
>

not really, 2.8GHz is fine for the time being. A new graphics card perhaps
given that I enjoy games, but the processor is fine. i just wanted to look
at some HD content, not turn my PC into an HD studio.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:21:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:o h2Yc.2660$B91.2505@trndny08...
>
> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:18GdnU5p_OAl-7LcRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:TLFXc.11492$oA.10757@trndny04...
>>> thanks, i did okay with the 720p stuff, but 1080i was just too much for
>>> my
>>> pc.
>>
>> Time for a new PC?
>>
>>
>
> not really, 2.8GHz is fine for the time being. A new graphics card
> perhaps given that I enjoy games, but the processor is fine. i just
> wanted to look at some HD content, not turn my PC into an HD studio.

Righto
A GeForce 5200fx card (about $60) will get that machine into 1080
capability.
August 28, 2004 9:18:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:X7idnTxb2ZztKq3cRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
>
> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o h2Yc.2660$B91.2505@trndny08...
>>
>> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:18GdnU5p_OAl-7LcRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
>>>
>>> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> news:TLFXc.11492$oA.10757@trndny04...
>>>> thanks, i did okay with the 720p stuff, but 1080i was just too much for
>>>> my
>>>> pc.
>>>
>>> Time for a new PC?
>>>
>>>
>>
>> not really, 2.8GHz is fine for the time being. A new graphics card
>> perhaps given that I enjoy games, but the processor is fine. i just
>> wanted to look at some HD content, not turn my PC into an HD studio.
>
> Righto
> A GeForce 5200fx card (about $60) will get that machine into 1080
> capability.
>
>
>

thanks for the tip, im looking at a radeon 9800 pro, just waiting for the
prices to drop into the low-mid 150 range. its starting to get close with
some of the discounts ive seen on pricewatch and slickdeals.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:18:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message news:E73Yc.2811$B91.2488@trndny08...
>
>
> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:X7idnTxb2ZztKq3cRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:o h2Yc.2660$B91.2505@trndny08...
>>>
>>> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:18GdnU5p_OAl-7LcRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
>>>>
>>>> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:TLFXc.11492$oA.10757@trndny04...
>>>>> thanks, i did okay with the 720p stuff, but 1080i was just too much
>>>>> for my
>>>>> pc.
>>>>
>>>> Time for a new PC?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> not really, 2.8GHz is fine for the time being. A new graphics card
>>> perhaps given that I enjoy games, but the processor is fine. i just
>>> wanted to look at some HD content, not turn my PC into an HD studio.
>>
>> Righto
>> A GeForce 5200fx card (about $60) will get that machine into 1080
>> capability.
>>
>>
>>
>
> thanks for the tip, im looking at a radeon 9800 pro, just waiting for the
> prices to drop into the low-mid 150 range. its starting to get close with
> some of the discounts ive seen on pricewatch and slickdeals.

You can get HD for WM9 accelleration much cheaper.

I put a AGP Pny Verto GeForce 5200FX 128MB card in an old Dell 1.8GHz and it
now zips along at 720P and can ALMOST do 1080 on WM9 coded video.

Your 2.8G machine should zip right through 1080 with an HD accellerator.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:59:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Randy Sweeney (rsweeney1@comcast.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I put a AGP Pny Verto GeForce 5200FX 128MB card in an old Dell 1.8GHz and it
> now zips along at 720P and can ALMOST do 1080 on WM9 coded video.
>
> Your 2.8G machine should zip right through 1080 with an HD accellerator.

Yep. I had a GeForceFX 5200 in a Pentium 4 2.4GHz machine and had no
problems with 1080 playback, and only used about 15% CPU to do it.

The OP was looking at a Radeon 9800 Pro, but unless you need it for other
reasons (e.g., really recent games), a Radeon 9600XT can be had for less
than $130 and gives great performance on both HD and all but the latest
games. The "built by ATI" 9600XT boards also have an auto-overclocking
feature that overclocks by as much as possible while keeping the chip
temperature reasonable. You can get 5-20% more performance (depending on
how aggressive your cooling system is) with this feature, and it puts the
board only about 30% behind the 9800Pro.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/TechBigot.gif
AskDOJ@usdoj.gov |
spam@ftc.gov |
August 29, 2004 8:39:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:42:15 GMT, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:

>From what I know about HDTV signals, I should be able to view HD quality on
>my PC, correct? I've never seen HD and am wondering if there are examples
>of stuff I can download to see what it would look like (yes, I realize the
>size of the data will be very large). I have an HD capable NEC projector I
>have hooked up to my home theater system that I'd love to use for
>demonstrating something to my wife (ie, convince her we need new home
>theater gear :) ). Thanks!
>


www.dvico.com it is a Korean company that makes a HD Tuner/ capture
card with QAM (the cable company's transmission scheme) as well as
NTSC and 18 ATSC (over the air HDTV) formats. They have a Demo as
well as sample content for evaluating your system to see if their
card will work with your system.

Fed
August 30, 2004 11:17:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b9aca2ecff5b8979897f2@news.nabs.net...
> Randy Sweeney (rsweeney1@comcast.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> I put a AGP Pny Verto GeForce 5200FX 128MB card in an old Dell 1.8GHz and
>> it
>> now zips along at 720P and can ALMOST do 1080 on WM9 coded video.
>>
>> Your 2.8G machine should zip right through 1080 with an HD accellerator.
>
> Yep. I had a GeForceFX 5200 in a Pentium 4 2.4GHz machine and had no
> problems with 1080 playback, and only used about 15% CPU to do it.
>
> The OP was looking at a Radeon 9800 Pro, but unless you need it for other
> reasons (e.g., really recent games), a Radeon 9600XT can be had for less
> than $130 and gives great performance on both HD and all but the latest
> games. The "built by ATI" 9600XT boards also have an auto-overclocking
> feature that overclocks by as much as possible while keeping the chip
> temperature reasonable. You can get 5-20% more performance (depending on
> how aggressive your cooling system is) with this feature, and it puts the
> board only about 30% behind the 9800Pro.
>
> --
> Jeff Rife |
> SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/TechBigot.gif
> AskDOJ@usdoj.gov |
> spam@ftc.gov |

I just picked up Doom 3 which is why I'm looking at a 9800 :) .
August 31, 2004 10:20:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"fred" <nus@tenretni.moc> wrote in message
news:02n2j0pl34v52ea20k5n33gg3jn5m0c8kq@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:42:15 GMT, "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>From what I know about HDTV signals, I should be able to view HD quality
>>on
>>my PC, correct? I've never seen HD and am wondering if there are examples
>>of stuff I can download to see what it would look like (yes, I realize the
>>size of the data will be very large). I have an HD capable NEC projector
>>I
>>have hooked up to my home theater system that I'd love to use for
>>demonstrating something to my wife (ie, convince her we need new home
>>theater gear :) ). Thanks!
>>
>
>
> www.dvico.com it is a Korean company that makes a HD Tuner/ capture
> card with QAM (the cable company's transmission scheme) as well as
> NTSC and 18 ATSC (over the air HDTV) formats. They have a Demo as
> well as sample content for evaluating your system to see if their
> card will work with your system.
>
> Fed
>

now this is what i might expect HD to look like. I also saw Comcast HD over
a different friends house this weekend and frankly I'm not impressed.
in the dvico demo above, you can see skin blemishes and pores and individual
strands of hair. nothing like what i saw on adelphia or comcast HD.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:02:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote (in part):

>"fred" <nus@tenretni.moc> wrote in message
>news:02n2j0pl34v52ea20k5n33gg3jn5m0c8kq@4ax.com...
>> www.dvico.com it is a Korean company that makes a HD Tuner/ capture
>> card with QAM (the cable company's transmission scheme) as well as
>> NTSC and 18 ATSC (over the air HDTV) formats. They have a Demo as
>> well as sample content for evaluating your system to see if their
>> card will work with your system.
>>
>> Fed
>>
>
>now this is what i might expect HD to look like. I also saw Comcast HD over
>a different friends house this weekend and frankly I'm not impressed.
>in the dvico demo above, you can see skin blemishes and pores and individual
>strands of hair. nothing like what i saw on adelphia or comcast HD.
>
Are you sure what you saw at your friend's was truly HD? It might not
have been, for at least a couple of reasons. First, I suspect many
people new to HD, especially those with HD-ready displays and a
separate tuner, hook the tuner to the display as they would an analog
VCR: via composite or S-Video, or worse, RF on channel 3 or 4.
Second, a lot of what passes for HD isn't. It's wide-screen SD bumped
up to HD scan rates. PBS does a lot of this on their HD channel.
Clearly they don't have enough HD content to fill out a schedule. And
I'm sorry, but that Sony commercial eveyone grew to hate during the
Olympics was NOT HD. Just SD made to fill the screen. If you're ever
not sure, check the titles. In HD they should be razor-sharp. If
they have fuzzy edges, it's SD.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
!