Samsung 22" SM 225BW or Samsung 20" SM 204B

garu

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
hi. i am deciding between theese two monitors

Samsung 22" SM 225BW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001083
monitor LCD, stříbrný, širokoúhlý, 700:1, 280cd, 5ms, 15pin D-Sub, DVI, 1680x1050, TCO03

Samsung 20" SM 204B
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Samsung_SyncMaster_204B_Silver_20_LCD_Monitor/204B-SILVER/p/729814
monitor LCD, silver, 800:1, 300cd, 5ms, DVI-D, 1600x1200, 0.255 mm, Pivot

i will mainly be using the pc for gaming, some movies but not much.

i am wondering about the widscreen, because some ppl are saying that in some games you can see more than on standard screen. As i play a lot of fps games this would be an advantage. on the other hand 1600x1200 is nice too.

garu

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
great news i will consider this if it is available in my part of the world.

my main question is still decission between the
widescreen 22inch and
1600x1200 20inch

post any personal experience with theese two monitors or the new 226BW.

djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

using 225bw E6600 2GB Ram and 8800gts.

Work very good, fun with games and movies.

Not many games support 1680x1050, but those that can, you can play them at full details.

I recommend it, but if you can buy the 226bw (if it has good reviews), go for it.

DJBrad

olgraybeard

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Well, contrary to MrsBytch, I am a Samsung fan. Love what I have from them and never any problems. You can have bad stuff from any maker. They will make it right. Just a reality. Making 10 million items, all manufactures willl have a certain percentage of failures, they try to weed them out before shipping.

Your real question appears to be 16:10 or 4:3. I am using wide screen and love it. I do get some distortion on some games that do not support this format and is stretched to fit. But after a day of this, you do not think nothing of it.

It is the direction everything is going to. The down side is size is deceiving. Wide screens of say 20 inch (25.4 cm) are shorter in height than a 4:3 20 inch. But a diagonal measurement, which is how they measure, is still 20 inches

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
yes I have a samsung 204B (20.5 inch, 1600 x 1200) and I also have an LG 1710B (17 inch, 1280 x 1040). The LG I have had for 2 years and the Samsung I bought just this xmas gone. There are many differences between these 2 monitors. The price of the Samsung was £280 (but £300 including delivery) and the price of the LG was £370 (bought from shop). On the LG the screen is much smaller resolution and the characters on the screen smaller (because only 17 inch). The samsung screen by comparison seems huge, while not taking up so much desk space. The samsung is also very heavy, not that weight really matters. On the smaller LG it is only really possible to view 1 window at a time, whereas on the samsung it is easy to view multiple windows open on the screen at a time (just resize the windows until they all fit nicely on the enormous screen). So ends the case for the Samsung. However, the colours on the LG are so much better, on the samsung the colours seem a bit washed out, I think there is something that you can do about this perhaps by playing around with the settings or involving some software that is supplied with the monitor, but I have not tried this yet. Also I am sad to say that the samsung has developed 1 stuck pixel already, despite me only having it for a short time. It is a red one, fortunately though right near the top of the screen so I hardly notice it (although perhaps I will in flight sims against a blue sky). In all the time that I have used the LG I have not had any pixel problems. Because of some problems I had with my newer computer, I had to go back to using my old computer, which wouldnt' work properly with the larger samsung monitor, so I had to go back to using the smaller LG one. Even though I have got my new computer back, I'm still using the smaller LG monitor! Perhaps I just prefer the sharper, brighter colours on the LG. However I'm sure I will go back to using the larger samsung one at some point. If I had a larger desk, then I would set up both monitors on the desk and enjoy the best of both worlds! Both monitors seem ok for gaming on, although I tend to play mostly strategy games. Also both monitors are free of any 'gimmicks' so you are not paying extra for such useless items as built in speakers or usb ports, which I like.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
sucks for you but the fact is that samsung make some of the best LCD's

226BW should be the best 22'' around but some people say they startet to use AUO panels that isnt that high quality as the samsung panels

u can see what model u got on the stickers of the back of the monitor ''A'' panels is AUO and ''S'' is the samsung panels, but so far in the US its the S version which is samsung's own panels

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I agree with your opinion. I have owned numerous Samsung products over the years. Monitors, phones etc. I even get comments on my phone all the time if I show people a picture on it. They can't belive the pic is so much more colorful and clear than their even more expensive "shaving" phones etc. As for my latest monitor, a 940BF 19" 4:3 aspect, I love it. It shows a slight bit of light around edges on a solid black screen in windows loading, thats about it. Don't notice it at all in movies, games or anything else. I use it mainly for gaming and have seen no ghosting, I'm fairly sensitive to it and have seen none.

To the OP: I haven't gone with the widescreen format yet mainly because I don't really like hte look of them in stores, in person. They are much shorter than 4:3s and in many applications and games this would drive me nuts. If/when I can afford a decent 24" widescreen I might make the jump because the bigger the screen the less noticable the height difference to my tastes at least. Yes things will eventually have widescreen resolutions standard but right now many things still don't. In another year I will make the jump I suspect, maybe less if prices come down. This is my view on it anyway. Go see some in stores and compare the size, see what you think would look best to you by seeing it in person.

garu

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Thanks for the responses. Yes my question is mainly regarding the difference in 16:10 or 4:3. As i am mainly using the pc for games.

I am wondering about the widescreen mainly because they have become quite popular and the prices are quite acceptable.

I am sure game developers are taking this into account so it is possible that all the new games will support native resolution of widescreen monitors. What do you think?

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I bought a Samsung 204b monitor this past week and I had been asking myself and others the same question you posted here. When I was not sure which one I wanted, I went to electronics stores and luckily one store had both of them displayed side by side. I adjusted the settings on both monitors on display and ran a few applications; then I decided I preferred the images produced on the 204b better than the images produced on the 225bw.

If it is possible, I suggest you go to a store and compare the two monitors side by side, and then decide what you like.

It is nice to play games that support widescreen resolutions on a widescreen display, but some games stretch the image or don't support widescreen at all.

Here is a website which lists some popular games and the extent to which they support widescreen displays: http://www.widescreengamer.com/widescreen_games_database/

Do you want a wider screen or an even higher resolution?

It is nice to play games on a 1600 x 1200 resolution if your card can handle it. All the games I play on my recently built computer support 1600 x 1200, but not all of them support widescreen.

I made my choice and I am very pleased with my recent purchase of the Samsung 204b.

TRENDING THREADS