JBOD set up...

jcm076

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Ok-

I realize this might be a very basic question but I hope someone can help me. I havent built a system since the days of jumpers and master/slave set ups for hard drives.

I just built a new system and have bought 2 320gig 7200.10 drives. I currently only have one hooked up. How do I set up an additional drive since there are no jumpers to indicate master/slave?

Can someone help me with a link or how to set this up?

My specs if needed...

E6600
P5N-E SLI
2gig Ballistix
8800 GTX
700w OCZ GameXstreem

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sounds like you have SATA drives. If so, there's only one drive per cable.

However, if you have the parallel ATA versions with the ribbon cable, usually, the last drive on the chain is the master and the middle drive is the slave. This should happen automagically using Cable Select.

jcm076

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I'm sorry I should have clarified...

I am using SATA drives... Barracuda 7200.10 320gb drives... If I hook both SATA cables to my mobo will my computer pick them up automatically or what do I need to do to have them both installed...

that is my confusion...

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm sorry I should have clarified...

I am using SATA drives... Barracuda 7200.10 320gb drives... If I hook both SATA cables to my mobo will my computer pick them up automatically or what do I need to do to have them both installed...

that is my confusion...

If you check the SATA ports on the board, they should be numbered, most likely 0 and 1. Port 0 will be your first drive, and Port 1 will be your second.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Correct. With SATA drives there is no need to set jumpers or any other settings. Just connect all the drives you want, then go into the BIOS and make sure the motherboard detects all the connected drives. Then boot into your OS and check that it detects all your drives.

You should be good to go.