Will the Pentium Name Return?

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I've been thinking about this lately and I've been wondering if the Pentium name/logo will return for future mainstream desktop processors. The name 'Pentium' has a huge marketing value behind it (who doesn't know the name Pentium?), and it would be foolish of Intel to just throw it away.

Does anyone know if Intel will be releasing a Pentium 5 or something like that?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
The Pentium4 was a real failure for Intel and usually, names relating to failures are more keen to disappear than resurrect (Though IMO, it was much more attractive and sounded better than 'Core'.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
The Pentium4 was a real failure for Intel and usually, names relating to failures are more keen to disappear than resurrect (Though IMO, it was much more attractive and sounded better than 'Core'.

It's true in that sense, but only we enthusiasts in the household sector know of that.

There are millions of people who don't care about performance and just go with Intel and a Pentium product because they don't know AMD. You know what I mean? They just go with the flow.

Also, the Core 2 name will get very confusing for most of the computer illiterate. Just try and imagine them trying to figure out what a Core 3 Octo is. XD

Simply naming Nehalem Pentium V, you'd get a lot of households (who bought the Pentium IV) interested. Combine this with tonnes of ads and you've got a winner.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
True, but Intel already dumped the Pentium name by not calling Core2 'PentiumV'. I'd not think of a return after this discontinuance in the Pentium name; it just makes no sense.
IMO, Intel needs a new (better) brand name to replace Core and Core2, today it just looks like the old days for them with the Exxxx model: 80800, i486 DX2; just numbers and letters not inspirational at all. The Athlon on the other hand is a much bolder branding name and with an almost totally brilliant past will continue to live, up to the birth of the first fusion chips maybe.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
True, but Intel already dumped the Pentium name by not calling Core2 'PentiumV'

And I'm not sure that it wasn't a HUGE mistake. They ditched a name that had been around and recognized by techies and people who watch The Simpsons and people who like the Blue Man Group. In favor of "Core". "Core" just sounds like another hackneyed, stupid name that corporations decide will make consumers think of power. The only reason people aren't ripping on Cores is because they are so freaking fast.
-cm

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
And I think they'd be selling a lot more now had they named it Pentium V instead of Core2, because a lot of unconscious buyers keep buying P4s, thinking the Cpre2 is some kind of small factor or budget minded Intel chip :D

P.S:This is one of the reasons making me dislike Intel; their marketing is all but intelligent.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
And I think they'd be selling a lot more now had they named it Pentium V instead of Core2, because a lot of unconscious buyers keep buying P4s, thinking the Cpre2 is some kind of small factor or budget minded Intel chip :D

P.S:This is one of the reasons making me dislike Intel; their marketing is all but intelligent.

My point exactly.

- We enthusiasts know that the Pentium 4 was a flop, we wouldn't judge the Pentium 5 to be the same as we would see benchmarks first.
- Households could really care less and know the Pentium name well
- Firms are similar to us in that they have pros who look at benchmarks. They also products that they can sell in mass volumes (brings household familiarity with Pentium back into the picture).

It just feels like there's something missing. We've still got the Xeon name, we've got the Centrino name but why did we lose the Pentium name? Why drop the most famous name?

m0rk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
True, but Intel already dumped the Pentium name by not calling Core2 'PentiumV'. I'd not think of a return after this discontinuance in the Pentium name; it just makes no sense.
IMO, Intel needs a new (better) brand name to replace Core and Core2, today it just looks like the old days for them with the Exxxx model: 80800, i486 DX2; just numbers and letters not inspirational at all. The Athlon on the other hand is a much bolder branding name and with an almost totally brilliant past will continue to live, up to the birth of the first fusion chips maybe.

I totally agree, that why Intel should adopt my idea for future cpu name:

Intel-Bashing-BaronMatrix-OctaCore... comes in three models: Severe, Evil and with Hatred

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
They're just a big, dumb giant, that's all; More or less all brand names today are pretty aggressive and appealing, like 'Athlon', 'Radeon', 'Crossfire' etc... and what does Intel come up with; CORE2 :roll: ...Rocky5 was BS but still better.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I think resurrecting the Pentium name would be a bad idea for Intel. I will be visiting the Intel complex in Folsom this July, I will make it a point to ask this question.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
While we can argue a lot on dumping the Pentium brand name, I guess everyone is unanimous on the point that 'Core' is more or less stupid and more or less anything else would be much better.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
That's ok by me. Pentium was cool, but "Celeron" was just retarded.

*Note: I swear I am not just saying that because Celerons suck so much* :wink:
-cm

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I've been thinking about this lately and I've been wondering if the Pentium name/logo will return for future mainstream desktop processors. The name 'Pentium' has a huge marketing value behind it (who doesn't know the name Pentium?), and it would be foolish of Intel to just throw it away.

Does anyone know if Intel will be releasing a Pentium 5 or something like that?

The Pentium name came from the "5" as in 586 or Pentagon. The 586 Pentium is WAY old and should not have existed beyond the Pentium Pro (this is before the Pentium II guys!
The Pentium had 2 integer units and 2 float units. The Pentium Pro had 3 integer and 2 float. So, I expected the Conroe to come right after the Pentium Pro (year 1999) with 4 integer and 3 float (per core).

So, basically the Pentium 2,3,4 should have never even existed.
The good news is Nehalen is on track and Intel said many times it will not repeat this mistake.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Not true. Both names are returning, and in less than 2 months (April 22). The Pentium name will be given to Allendale dual cores with 1mb shared L2 cache (512kb each core) and 800fsb, and the Celeron will be for single core products (Conroe-L) with 512KB L2, 800fsb. Celeron D will have speeds of 2.0 (Celeron 440), 1.8 (430), and a later release of 1.6 (420). The Pentium will be released at speeds of 1.8 (E2160) and 1.6Ghz (E2140). TDP for the Pentium series will be 65watt, while the Celerons are 35 watt TDP. Pricing is supposed to be at $80 for the Pentiums, and as little as $40 for the Celeron D 420.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I hope not. I thought it was a cheesy name the first time I heard it... wasn't it just called Pentium because Intel couldn't trademark a number such as 586? To me "Core" sounds tough... the strong, silent type.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Now Celeron D is a horrible name if you asked me. It's not an A grade chip, not a B, not even a C!! It's a piece of crap D grade chip. And its a celeron to top it off. I'd take core over that any day.

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
As Intel and AMD continue to stretch out their product offerings from the $1000 processors down to the $200-$300 notebooks for developing countries, they need to have an ability to differentiate more products. Joefriday has explained where Pentium and Celeron will now fall in the grand scheme. Pentium is pretty much replacing Celeron and Celeron is taking residence down in the ultralow cost segment. I see the Celeron in particular being integrated into all kinds of consumer electronics, with DVRs and Set Top Boxes being first.

The difference between Intel and AMD regarding the low cost notebooks is that Intel seems to understand that this is a platform to make money off of in many more markets than this one niche. AMD seems to be too focused on the desktop and server to realize the potential of imbeded systems.

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I think resurrecting the Pentium name would be a bad idea for Intel. I will be visiting the Intel complex in Folsom this July, I will make it a point to ask this question.

what are you going to see at the Intel complex? I can see the Folsom Intel complex out my window at work. Intel employees get discounts at the local taco bell...stinkin' discounts.