Cant complete boot-explorer error msg !!

monique

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002

Compaq PC (1st problem). Win 2K (2nd problem). Lost OS disk.(strike 3)

The OS starts, the Windows screen opens, then it goes to a jpg file, opens the picture, then an error msg opens stating that "file missing in explorer, please reinstall Windows." System locks at that point. Click on OK, but error msg stays in place. Cant migrate anywhere except to reboot.

I cant seem to locate the OS disk, but borrowed a recovery applications disk and a driver disk from Dell owner. I dont think it will work if need the Dell preloaded files on the HDD.

I cant get it to do anything. Was able to go do Dos, but when clicked on any .exe, received msg that "This system operates on Dos 8.0. This file will not open in Dos." I am not as up-to-date in tech solutions as I need to be, but I remember being able to access previous versions of Dos and get the executable files to work.

This has me baffled. Is there a means of getting the OS to reload itself without having the OS CD. If I could get past a certain point to run SFC on this system, maybe it would be ok. Not sure if 2k has SFC, but cant get a full boot to find out.

Trying to recover lots of personal data, but NEED to get the whole thing back up and running. So......

2 questions....
1. How can I get past this point so I can try to fix the rest.
2. If I have to format the HDD, suggestions on reloading 98, 2k, or XP, i.e., if I format C:, how do I reload a new OS. Is this something that I would need to go to F10 and change drives to load data from CD, or any other ways would be helpful. I try to stay away from doing anything I cant handle, but with a little guidance, I can work my way thru the few steps.

HELP, please. I dont really want to format the HDD. I can follow directions if you can direct me to the best resolution......please.
Thanks,
Monique

You must have the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom in order to start the repair
process.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Monique" wrote:
| Compaq PC (1st problem). Win 2K (2nd problem). Lost OS disk.(strike 3)
|
| The OS starts, the Windows screen opens, then it goes to a jpg file, opens
the picture, then an error msg opens stating that "file missing in explorer,
please reinstall Windows." System locks at that point. Click on OK, but
error msg stays in place. Cant migrate anywhere except to reboot.

| I cant seem to locate the OS disk, but borrowed a recovery applications
disk and a driver disk from Dell owner. I dont think it will work if need
the Dell preloaded files on the HDD.

| I cant get it to do anything. Was able to go do Dos, but when clicked on
any .exe, received msg that "This system operates on Dos 8.0. This file
will not open in Dos." I am not as up-to-date in tech solutions as I need
to be, but I remember being able to access previous versions of Dos and get
the executable files to work.

| This has me baffled. Is there a means of getting the OS to reload itself
without having the OS CD. If I could get past a certain point to run SFC on
this system, maybe it would be ok. Not sure if 2k has SFC, but cant get a
full boot to find out.

| Trying to recover lots of personal data, but NEED to get the whole thing
back up and running. So......

| 2 questions....
| 1. How can I get past this point so I can try to fix the rest.
| 2. If I have to format the HDD, suggestions on reloading 98, 2k, or
XP, i.e., if I format C:, how do I reload a new OS. Is this something that
I would need to go to F10 and change drives to load data from CD, or any
other ways would be helpful. I try to stay away from doing anything I cant
handle, but with a little guidance, I can work my way thru the few steps.

| HELP, please. I dont really want to format the HDD. I can follow
directions if you can direct me to the best resolution......please.
| Thanks,
| Monique

monique

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002

Dave,

I was able to locate a CD to perform the install.

Now, that I have it, I was hoping to get a more definitive response to the questions I posed on the initial help request. Would you be able to answer them, please.

--
Thanks So Much For the Help,
Monique

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You must have the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom in order to start the repair
> process.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Monique" wrote:
> | Compaq PC (1st problem). Win 2K (2nd problem). Lost OS disk.(strike 3)
> |
> | The OS starts, the Windows screen opens, then it goes to a jpg file, opens
> the picture, then an error msg opens stating that "file missing in explorer,
> please reinstall Windows." System locks at that point. Click on OK, but
> error msg stays in place. Cant migrate anywhere except to reboot.
> |
> | I cant seem to locate the OS disk, but borrowed a recovery applications
> disk and a driver disk from Dell owner. I dont think it will work if need
> the Dell preloaded files on the HDD.
> |
> | I cant get it to do anything. Was able to go do Dos, but when clicked on
> any .exe, received msg that "This system operates on Dos 8.0. This file
> will not open in Dos." I am not as up-to-date in tech solutions as I need
> to be, but I remember being able to access previous versions of Dos and get
> the executable files to work.
> |
> | This has me baffled. Is there a means of getting the OS to reload itself
> without having the OS CD. If I could get past a certain point to run SFC on
> this system, maybe it would be ok. Not sure if 2k has SFC, but cant get a
> full boot to find out.
> |
> | Trying to recover lots of personal data, but NEED to get the whole thing
> back up and running. So......
> |
> | 2 questions....
> | 1. How can I get past this point so I can try to fix the rest.
> | 2. If I have to format the HDD, suggestions on reloading 98, 2k, or
> XP, i.e., if I format C:, how do I reload a new OS. Is this something that
> I would need to go to F10 and change drives to load data from CD, or any
> other ways would be helpful. I try to stay away from doing anything I cant
> handle, but with a little guidance, I can work my way thru the few steps.
> |
> | HELP, please. I dont really want to format the HDD. I can follow
> directions if you can direct me to the best resolution......please.
> | Thanks,
> | Monique

monique

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002

Dave,
I was able to obtain a 2k OS disk. Now that I have it, I was hoping to get a definitive answer to the initial questionS please. Are you able to help me thru this dilemma....please.
--
Thanks So Much For the Help,
Monique

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You must have the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom in order to start the repair
> process.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Monique" wrote:
> | Compaq PC (1st problem). Win 2K (2nd problem). Lost OS disk.(strike 3)
> |
> | The OS starts, the Windows screen opens, then it goes to a jpg file, opens
> the picture, then an error msg opens stating that "file missing in explorer,
> please reinstall Windows." System locks at that point. Click on OK, but
> error msg stays in place. Cant migrate anywhere except to reboot.
> |
> | I cant seem to locate the OS disk, but borrowed a recovery applications
> disk and a driver disk from Dell owner. I dont think it will work if need
> the Dell preloaded files on the HDD.
> |
> | I cant get it to do anything. Was able to go do Dos, but when clicked on
> any .exe, received msg that "This system operates on Dos 8.0. This file
> will not open in Dos." I am not as up-to-date in tech solutions as I need
> to be, but I remember being able to access previous versions of Dos and get
> the executable files to work.
> |
> | This has me baffled. Is there a means of getting the OS to reload itself
> without having the OS CD. If I could get past a certain point to run SFC on
> this system, maybe it would be ok. Not sure if 2k has SFC, but cant get a
> full boot to find out.
> |
> | Trying to recover lots of personal data, but NEED to get the whole thing
> back up and running. So......
> |
> | 2 questions....
> | 1. How can I get past this point so I can try to fix the rest.
> | 2. If I have to format the HDD, suggestions on reloading 98, 2k, or
> XP, i.e., if I format C:, how do I reload a new OS. Is this something that
> I would need to go to F10 and change drives to load data from CD, or any
> other ways would be helpful. I try to stay away from doing anything I cant
> handle, but with a little guidance, I can work my way thru the few steps.
> |
> | HELP, please. I dont really want to format the HDD. I can follow
> directions if you can direct me to the best resolution......please.
> | Thanks,
> | Monique

monique

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002

Dave,

I was able to obtain a 2kCD for the install process. I was hoping to get the answer to the initial questions as well as getting help thru the process. Are you able to help me.........please.
--
Thanks So Much For the Help,
Monique

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You must have the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom in order to start the repair
> process.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Monique" wrote:
> | Compaq PC (1st problem). Win 2K (2nd problem). Lost OS disk.(strike 3)
> |
> | The OS starts, the Windows screen opens, then it goes to a jpg file, opens
> the picture, then an error msg opens stating that "file missing in explorer,
> please reinstall Windows." System locks at that point. Click on OK, but
> error msg stays in place. Cant migrate anywhere except to reboot.
> |
> | I cant seem to locate the OS disk, but borrowed a recovery applications
> disk and a driver disk from Dell owner. I dont think it will work if need
> the Dell preloaded files on the HDD.
> |
> | I cant get it to do anything. Was able to go do Dos, but when clicked on
> any .exe, received msg that "This system operates on Dos 8.0. This file
> will not open in Dos." I am not as up-to-date in tech solutions as I need
> to be, but I remember being able to access previous versions of Dos and get
> the executable files to work.
> |
> | This has me baffled. Is there a means of getting the OS to reload itself
> without having the OS CD. If I could get past a certain point to run SFC on
> this system, maybe it would be ok. Not sure if 2k has SFC, but cant get a
> full boot to find out.
> |
> | Trying to recover lots of personal data, but NEED to get the whole thing
> back up and running. So......
> |
> | 2 questions....
> | 1. How can I get past this point so I can try to fix the rest.
> | 2. If I have to format the HDD, suggestions on reloading 98, 2k, or
> XP, i.e., if I format C:, how do I reload a new OS. Is this something that
> I would need to go to F10 and change drives to load data from CD, or any
> other ways would be helpful. I try to stay away from doing anything I cant
> handle, but with a little guidance, I can work my way thru the few steps.
> |
> | HELP, please. I dont really want to format the HDD. I can follow
> directions if you can direct me to the best resolution......please.
> | Thanks,
> | Monique

Can you post the exact text of the error message?

--

"Monique" wrote:
| Dave,
|
| I was able to locate a CD to perform the install.
|
| Now, that I have it, I was hoping to get a more definitive response to the
questions I posed on the initial help request. Would you be able to answer
them, please.

| --
| Thanks So Much For the Help,
| Monique
|

| "Dave Patrick" wrote:

monique

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002

I did in the original msg. Please refer to it.
--
Thanks So Much For the Help,
Monique

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Can you post the exact text of the error message?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Monique" wrote:
> | Dave,
> |
> | I was able to locate a CD to perform the install.
> |
> | Now, that I have it, I was hoping to get a more definitive response to the
> questions I posed on the initial help request. Would you be able to answer
> them, please.
> |
> | --
> | Thanks So Much For the Help,
> | Monique
> |

> | "Dave Patrick" wrote:

If that's as close as it gets then no idea really. Give these a shot.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

--

"Monique" wrote:
| I did in the original msg. Please refer to it.
| --
| Thanks So Much For the Help,
| Monique

Reading this thread to date:

If you really need to save a bunch of personal data, AND

You have spare space on the hard drive (unused space in any or all
partitions on that drive), AND

You have or can get a 3rd party Partitioning Utility (like Powerquest's
PartitionMagic", THEN

With that utility, create the bootable floppy/ies version on some other
machine, go to your machine and boot that version, and

Decrease as much as possible the size of all current partitions,
Move all current partitions as far as possible to one side in order to
create a sufficiently large new system partition,
and install W2k in that newly unallocated space.

That new W2k will be able to see and manipulate the contents of the
other partition(s).

You can then blow away the old system files and whatever you don't want
to keep on the old partition(s), and having done that (and reinstalled
whatever you need to),

Use that same bootable utility to resize and move the new and old
partitions to your satisfaction.

Monique wrote:
> Compaq PC (1st problem). Win 2K (2nd problem). Lost OS disk.(strike 3)
>
> The OS starts, the Windows screen opens, then it goes to a jpg file, opens the picture, then an error msg opens stating that "file missing in explorer, please reinstall Windows." System locks at that point. Click on OK, but error msg stays in place. Cant migrate anywhere except to reboot.
>
> I cant seem to locate the OS disk, but borrowed a recovery applications disk and a driver disk from Dell owner. I dont think it will work if need the Dell preloaded files on the HDD.
>
> I cant get it to do anything. Was able to go do Dos, but when clicked on any .exe, received msg that "This system operates on Dos 8.0. This file will not open in Dos." I am not as up-to-date in tech solutions as I need to be, but I remember being able to access previous versions of Dos and get the executable files to work.
>
> This has me baffled. Is there a means of getting the OS to reload itself without having the OS CD. If I could get past a certain point to run SFC on this system, maybe it would be ok. Not sure if 2k has SFC, but cant get a full boot to find out.
>
> Trying to recover lots of personal data, but NEED to get the whole thing back up and running. So......
>
> 2 questions....
> 1. How can I get past this point so I can try to fix the rest.
> 2. If I have to format the HDD, suggestions on reloading 98, 2k, or XP, i.e., if I format C:, how do I reload a new OS. Is this something that I would need to go to F10 and change drives to load data from CD, or any other ways would be helpful. I try to stay away from doing anything I cant handle, but with a little guidance, I can work my way thru the few steps.
>
> HELP, please. I dont really want to format the HDD. I can follow directions if you can direct me to the best resolution......please.
> Thanks,
> Monique

Well let's start with; how should I concatenate these two strings to come up
with the exact text of the error message? Neither is complete and as an
abridged version leads me nowhere.

Subject line says "explorer error msg," then an error msg opens stating that

"Monique" wrote:
| Ok Dave,
| Lets start from the beginning. My Subject line says "explorer error msg,"
and my first paragraph says, <<The OS starts, the Windows screen opens, then
it goes to a jpg file, opens the picture, then an error msg opens stating
that "file missing in explorer, please reinstall Windows." System locks
at that point. Click on OK, but error msg stays in place. Cant migrate
anywhere except to reboot.>>

| Now, at that point the system freezes, and it doesnt complete the full
boot process.
| I cant migrate anywhere from there.
|
| I dont know what else to tell you, Dave. I started out explaining
everything as I have it, including accurate details of the problem and error
msgs. I dont know any other way to communicate what is happening, other
than to provide the problem and the error msgs.

| I have provided a full description of what is happening. Maybe you might
be able to redirect this to another person who can help me. WE cant seem to
be getting any closer to the solution. I may be the problem, but after this
many emails, we should be closer to what to do by now.

| I have been as honest and sincere as I can and fully described the entire
issue from the very beginning email and dont know what else to tell you.
How can we get closer to a solution..............please.

| --
| Thanks So Much For the Help,
| Monique

monique

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002

Well Dave, obviously we are getting nowhere. I say one thing, and you interpret something else. I appreciate your attempt on trying to help. Nonetheless, we have spent an entire weekend not getting anywhere...and I still have a computer that wont boot up due to an explorer error msg that says to reinstall Windows. But, I cant get it anywhere, to even get it to boot up properly. I thought that was quite definitive. My apologies for not giving you something more simple to understand.

I guess I expected that a skilled Microsoft person could discern the problem because it may be a known problem, given the parameters causing the computer to not boot-up. My mistake. There are so many things that could cause these types of things, but I dont do this on a regular basis, so I ask for skilled assistance.

Since we have passed this back and forth so many times, its obvious that I should try to obtain a resolution elsewhere. Theres no reason for this to turn into a verbal battle of the wits. I dont need the aggravation - - - I was just looking for a skilled person to help me - - - or direct me in a better direction to fix a problem.

Sorry to have wasted your time.....and mine.

In the past, I have utilized the TechNet Discussion Groups to obtain valuable information, and I praise the help that I have received in the past. However, this time has turned me totally against asking for help from this site again.

Good luck in your future responses from people who have a genuine desire to ask for your help......and dont get it. No need to post a response, because I wont read it. I'm sure you think I'm just a jerk anyway.
--
Thanks So Much For the ....... Help,
Monique

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Well let's start with; how should I concatenate these two strings to come up
> with the exact text of the error message? Neither is complete and as an
> abridged version leads me nowhere.
>
> Subject line says "explorer error msg," then an error msg opens stating that
> "file missing in explorer, please reinstall Windows."
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Monique" wrote:
> | Ok Dave,
> | Lets start from the beginning. My Subject line says "explorer error msg,"
> and my first paragraph says, <<The OS starts, the Windows screen opens, then
> it goes to a jpg file, opens the picture, then an error msg opens stating
> that "file missing in explorer, please reinstall Windows." System locks
> at that point. Click on OK, but error msg stays in place. Cant migrate
> anywhere except to reboot.>>
> |
> | Now, at that point the system freezes, and it doesnt complete the full
> boot process.
> | I cant migrate anywhere from there.
> |
> | I dont know what else to tell you, Dave. I started out explaining
> everything as I have it, including accurate details of the problem and error
> msgs. I dont know any other way to communicate what is happening, other
> than to provide the problem and the error msgs.
> |
> | I have provided a full description of what is happening. Maybe you might
> be able to redirect this to another person who can help me. WE cant seem to
> be getting any closer to the solution. I may be the problem, but after this
> many emails, we should be closer to what to do by now.
> |
> | I have been as honest and sincere as I can and fully described the entire
> issue from the very beginning email and dont know what else to tell you.
> How can we get closer to a solution..............please.
> |
> | --
> | Thanks So Much For the Help,
> | Monique

No not true. I'm helpless to help you without the details you don't seem to
want to provide.

--

"Monique" wrote:
> [...]
| > "file missing in explorer, please reinstall Windows."
| >
| > --
| > Regards,
| >
| > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
| > Microsoft Certified Professional
| > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
| > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
| >
| > "Monique" wrote:
| > | Ok Dave,
| > | Lets start from the beginning. My Subject line says "explorer error
msg,"
| > and my first paragraph says, <<The OS starts, the Windows screen opens,
then
| > it goes to a jpg file, opens the picture, then an error msg opens
stating
| > that "file missing in explorer, please reinstall Windows." System
locks
| > at that point. Click on OK, but error msg stays in place. Cant
| > |