Mitsubishi WS73903 OTA HDTV Reception w/HD-1080

Hi - I have a Mitsubishi WS-73903 TV (first generation) and the HD-1080
receiver. I'm trying to pick up local HDTV stations by antenna, using a
ChannelMaster 4248 antenna, which is supposed to be one of the better ones
for HDTV reception.

The antenna is pointed towards the major stations in my area (they're about
14 miles away).

I am able to get a picture, with a HDTV signal registering on the channel
info. It only looks like HDTV in the center of the picture though - there's
severe color non-convergence away from the center. Some pixelation / still
frame on the KERA PBS channel (I'm in Arlington, between Dallas & Ft.
Worth - majority of local stations are broadcasting out of Dallas).

Using channel info, I'm showing essentially no signal strength from the
antenna.
I can receive DTV channels with no problem, distortion or color divergences.

The picture is converged fine on any other input. I'm trying to figure out
whether I'm not getting enough signal from the antenna, or whether the
HD1080 receiver has a problem with it. Of course, the person I bought the
antenna from feels it's a receiver problem! (go figure)

Any ideas which of the 2 directions I should pursue as being the culprit?

Thanks!

glinskym@sbcglobal.net
9 answers Last reply
More about mitsubishi ws73903 hdtv reception 1080

    MarkSG wrote:

    > Hi - I have a Mitsubishi WS-73903 TV (first generation) and the HD-1080
    > receiver. I'm trying to pick up local HDTV stations by antenna, using a
    > ChannelMaster 4248 antenna, which is supposed to be one of the better ones
    > for HDTV reception.
    >
    > The antenna is pointed towards the major stations in my area (they're about
    > 14 miles away).
    >
    > I am able to get a picture, with a HDTV signal registering on the channel
    > info. It only looks like HDTV in the center of the picture though - there's
    > severe color non-convergence away from the center. Some pixelation / still
    > frame on the KERA PBS channel (I'm in Arlington, between Dallas & Ft.
    > Worth - majority of local stations are broadcasting out of Dallas).
    >
    > Using channel info, I'm showing essentially no signal strength from the
    > antenna.
    > I can receive DTV channels with no problem, distortion or color divergences.
    >
    > The picture is converged fine on any other input. I'm trying to figure out
    > whether I'm not getting enough signal from the antenna, or whether the
    > HD1080 receiver has a problem with it. Of course, the person I bought the
    > antenna from feels it's a receiver problem! (go figure)
    >
    > Any ideas which of the 2 directions I should pursue as being the culprit?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > glinskym@sbcglobal.net

    MarK:

    You have a very good CM UHF antenna....

    Is the Problem the STBox or Antenna...?????

    Here is 1 way to check out the antenna ONLY ...

    I've run this UHF test on my CM 3021 & Sony TV set recently...

    Screw the UHF antenna into the Analog RF TV port...
    Skip using the STBox for this test....

    The UHF antenna on Analog channels only via RF TV antenna port
    should give:

    Lots of Snow for Analog Chan 2 thru 4 VHF

    Some Grain for Analog Chans 5 & 6 VHF

    Near perfect Picture for Analog Chans 7 thru 13 VHF

    Perfect Picture for Analog Chans 14 thru 59 UHF

    Each of the 4 Groups is a Different Freq Band....

    If the Test results are as noted above...
    Then the Set Top box may be a problem
    or the RG-6 Antenna Cable connections..

    My UHF Analog OTA test was for Towers 8 to 11 miles away..
    on the Same hill..

    "MarkSG" <glinskym@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hi - I have a Mitsubishi WS-73903 TV (first generation) and the HD-1080
    > receiver. I'm trying to pick up local HDTV stations by antenna, using a
    > ChannelMaster 4248 antenna, which is supposed to be one of the better ones
    > for HDTV reception.
    >
    > The antenna is pointed towards the major stations in my area (they're
    about
    > 14 miles away).
    >
    > I am able to get a picture, with a HDTV signal registering on the channel
    > info. It only looks like HDTV in the center of the picture though -
    there's
    > severe color non-convergence away from the center. Some pixelation /
    still
    > frame on the KERA PBS channel (I'm in Arlington, between Dallas & Ft.
    > Worth - majority of local stations are broadcasting out of Dallas).
    >
    > Using channel info, I'm showing essentially no signal strength from the
    > antenna.
    > I can receive DTV channels with no problem, distortion or color
    divergences.

    > The picture is converged fine on any other input. I'm trying to figure
    out
    > whether I'm not getting enough signal from the antenna, or whether the
    > HD1080 receiver has a problem with it. Of course, the person I bought the
    > antenna from feels it's a receiver problem! (go figure)
    >
    > Any ideas which of the 2 directions I should pursue as being the culprit?

    Sounds like your set needs convergence adjusted in the 1080i mode. Has the
    set ever been serviced?

    Leonard

    "MarkSG" <glinskym@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hi - I have a Mitsubishi WS-73903 TV (first generation) and the HD-1080
    > receiver. I'm trying to pick up local HDTV stations by antenna, using a
    > ChannelMaster 4248 antenna, which is supposed to be one of the better ones
    > for HDTV reception.
    >
    > The antenna is pointed towards the major stations in my area (they're
    about
    > 14 miles away).
    >
    > I am able to get a picture, with a HDTV signal registering on the channel
    > info. It only looks like HDTV in the center of the picture though -
    there's
    > severe color non-convergence away from the center. Some pixelation /
    still
    > frame on the KERA PBS channel (I'm in Arlington, between Dallas & Ft.
    > Worth - majority of local stations are broadcasting out of Dallas).
    >
    > Using channel info, I'm showing essentially no signal strength from the
    > antenna.
    > I can receive DTV channels with no problem, distortion or color
    divergences.

    > The picture is converged fine on any other input. I'm trying to figure
    out
    > whether I'm not getting enough signal from the antenna, or whether the
    > HD1080 receiver has a problem with it. Of course, the person I bought the
    > antenna from feels it's a receiver problem! (go figure)
    >
    > Any ideas which of the 2 directions I should pursue as being the culprit?

    Older projection TV's had two or more resolutions modes where convergance
    and all adj were unique to that mode. In other words convergance has to be
    done in both NTSC (480i) and HD mode (1080i). Sounds like your convergance
    needs to be adjusted for HD mode. Newer sets display at ONE resolution and
    convert in a module to the other modes.

    "Jeff Rigby" <jeffg212@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "MarkSG" <glinskym@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi - I have a Mitsubishi WS-73903 TV (first generation) and the HD-1080
    > > receiver. I'm trying to pick up local HDTV stations by antenna, using a
    > > ChannelMaster 4248 antenna, which is supposed to be one of the better
    ones
    > > for HDTV reception.
    > >
    > > The antenna is pointed towards the major stations in my area (they're
    > about
    > > 14 miles away).
    > >
    > > I am able to get a picture, with a HDTV signal registering on the
    channel
    > > info. It only looks like HDTV in the center of the picture though -
    > there's
    > > severe color non-convergence away from the center. Some pixelation /
    > still
    > > frame on the KERA PBS channel (I'm in Arlington, between Dallas & Ft.
    > > Worth - majority of local stations are broadcasting out of Dallas).
    > >
    > > Using channel info, I'm showing essentially no signal strength from the
    > > antenna.
    > > I can receive DTV channels with no problem, distortion or color
    > divergences.
    > >
    > > The picture is converged fine on any other input. I'm trying to figure
    > out
    > > whether I'm not getting enough signal from the antenna, or whether the
    > > HD1080 receiver has a problem with it. Of course, the person I bought
    the
    > > antenna from feels it's a receiver problem! (go figure)
    > >
    > > Any ideas which of the 2 directions I should pursue as being the
    culprit?

    > Older projection TV's had two or more resolutions modes where convergance
    > and all adj were unique to that mode. In other words convergance has to
    be
    > done in both NTSC (480i) and HD mode (1080i). Sounds like your
    convergance
    > needs to be adjusted for HD mode. Newer sets display at ONE resolution
    and
    > convert in a module to the other modes.

    Which sets would those be? I thought all of the Mits CRT based sets were
    currently displaying 480i as 960i and 720p as 1080i. They still require
    different alignments for the two scan frequencies, even though the 480 is
    line doubled.

    Leonard

    "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo_ns_@devoynet.com> wrote in message
    > Sounds like your set needs convergence adjusted in the 1080i mode. Has
    the set ever been serviced?

    The set hasn't been serviced since I moved it here from Houston, but I have
    converged it myself, only for regular NTSC however. I wasn't sure if the
    convergence would be different for HDTV mode than regular NTSC, and I was
    reluctant to change all the convergence for HDTV if it would change the
    settings for NTSC (I don't think there's separate memories for
    convergences).

    Guess I'll try converging it and see what I get, and see if it retains the
    values when switched back to NTSC 480. Was a bit thrown by the DTV pictures
    looking very good (including the weather radar channels) and the lack of
    signal strength shown on the Info screen.

    Thanks!

    > "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo_ns_@devoynet.com> wrote in message
    > > Sounds like your set needs convergence adjusted in the 1080i mode. Has
    > the set ever been serviced?
    >
    > The set hasn't been serviced since I moved it here from Houston, but I
    have
    > converged it myself, only for regular NTSC however. I wasn't sure if the
    > convergence would be different for HDTV mode than regular NTSC, and I was
    > reluctant to change all the convergence for HDTV if it would change the
    > settings for NTSC (I don't think there's separate memories for
    > convergences).
    >
    > Guess I'll try converging it and see what I get, and see if it retains the
    > values when switched back to NTSC 480. Was a bit thrown by the DTV
    pictures
    > looking very good (including the weather radar channels) and the lack of
    > signal strength shown on the Info screen.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yes, there ARE separate convergence memories for the two scan rates. If,
    however, the HD convergence is out by more than the width of a line in your
    advanced convergence pattern, it needs to be converged at the service level.
    Trying to do too much in the consumer menu may result in some linearity
    problems and some strange effects.

    > Yes, there ARE separate convergence memories for the two scan rates. If,
    > however, the HD convergence is out by more than the width of a line in
    your
    > advanced convergence pattern, it needs to be converged at the service
    level.
    > Trying to do too much in the consumer menu may result in some linearity
    > problems and some strange effects.

    I reconverged for the HD input, and that helps quite a bit. It does retain
    the separate
    settings for HD and for all other modes - it may memorize separately for 480
    and 1080,
    or possibly for each separate input, might have to try that.

    The convergence is quite far off on the edges, and I am getting some
    non-linearity
    as you mention. Particularly noticeable when you watch something like track
    & field
    on the Olympics and can see the lane markers bend at the edge of the
    picture!

    I still think I'm not getting enough signal from the antenna though, as I
    register no
    signal strength on the meter, and I'm not getting all of the local stations
    on that
    compass point that I should be, so I think the next step I'll try is to add
    a signal
    amplifier on the antenna output.

    Thanks for the help!

    Mark

    > "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo_ns_@devoynet.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes, there ARE separate convergence memories for the two scan rates.
    If,
    > > however, the HD convergence is out by more than the width of a line in
    > your
    > > advanced convergence pattern, it needs to be converged at the service
    > level.
    > > Trying to do too much in the consumer menu may result in some linearity
    > > problems and some strange effects.
    >
    > I reconverged for the HD input, and that helps quite a bit. It does
    retain
    > the separate
    > settings for HD and for all other modes - it may memorize separately for
    480
    > and 1080,
    > or possibly for each separate input, might have to try that.
    >
    > The convergence is quite far off on the edges, and I am getting some
    > non-linearity
    > as you mention. Particularly noticeable when you watch something like
    track
    > & field
    > on the Olympics and can see the lane markers bend at the edge of the
    > picture!
    >
    > I still think I'm not getting enough signal from the antenna though, as I
    > register no
    > signal strength on the meter, and I'm not getting all of the local
    stations
    > on that
    > compass point that I should be, so I think the next step I'll try is to
    add
    > a signal
    > amplifier on the antenna output.
    >
    > Thanks for the help!
    >
    > Mark

    Signal quality is a completely different issue from convergence and has no
    affect on it. Sounds like you need the convergence checked out by someone
    with experience repairing the Mits.

    > Signal quality is a completely different issue from convergence and has no
    affect on it. Sounds like you need the convergence checked out by someone
    > with experience repairing the Mits.

    The convergence is to a point where it's useable. But I still should be
    getting more stations and better signal strength, and that's tied up with
    the antenna.

    MSG

HDTV Mitsubishi Home Theatre