Restoring Win 2000 boot

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 25, 2004 7:36:40 PM

Hi,

I set up linux on a second partition on a Win2000
workstation. Linux loaded grub bootloader in the mbr, and
cofigured dual boot so I can start either Win2000 or linux.
I now need to remove linux, and grub, and restore the
original booting of Win2000.
How do I restore the mbr in win2000?
Just to make it more difficult, the machine has no floppy
disk drive. I can make a bootable CD-ROMs if I have a
bootable floppy to copy the image from.

Thanks,
BarryG.

More about : restoring win 2000 boot

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 4:00:17 AM

BarryG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I set up linux on a second partition on a Win2000
> workstation. Linux loaded grub bootloader in the mbr, and
> cofigured dual boot so I can start either Win2000 or linux.
> I now need to remove linux, and grub, and restore the
> original booting of Win2000.
> How do I restore the mbr in win2000?
> Just to make it more difficult, the machine has no floppy
> disk drive. I can make a bootable CD-ROMs if I have a
> bootable floppy to copy the image from.
>
> Thanks,
> BarryG.

Use your Windows 2000 CDROM to boot up, then choose the enter the Recovery
Console.
From here you can issue the fixmbr command to re-write the MBR.
July 26, 2004 4:00:18 AM

the MBR.