Motorola V551 USB and Cingular Connection Manager

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
December 21, 2004 11:27:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

This is to help a friend who just got a v551 and the USB cable...phone
tools won't see the phone even though Windows sees the phone as a modem.
You can inquire on the modem and it responds. Absent Mobile Phone
Tools from seeing the phone, Cingular suggested Connection Manager at
http://www.cingular.com/connectionmanager but the rep I had didn't know
anything about it. In fact, she misspelled the link when she emailed it
to me.

Okay, so for the Motorola v551 and the USB cable with Cingular's
Connection Manager, it says that it's connected with Edge and the edge
icon appears on the phone, and there are bytes of traffic shown on the
connection manager's window, but the web is not available.

Story of my acquisition of my own v551, conflicting stories come from
Cingular. People at cingular I spoke with say that the Media Works plan
is insufficient, that it's only for the phone's browser and when I
called customer service, they said that I don't need any other services
beyond media works, which covers internet on the phone and on a laptop.
One of these representatives is wrong.

Anyhow, if somebody knows why connection manager won't browse, I'd
appreciate the help. I bet I get a response here before I make it
through to another rep at cingular.

Peace,
Ron!
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 12:57:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <SG%xd.17502$uM5.1366@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Tue, 21 Dec
2004 20:27:30 GMT, Ron <rdswart@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>This is to help a friend who just got a v551 and the USB cable...phone
>tools won't see the phone even though Windows sees the phone as a modem.
> You can inquire on the modem and it responds. Absent Mobile Phone
>Tools from seeing the phone, Cingular suggested Connection Manager at
>http://www.cingular.com/connectionmanager but the rep I had didn't know
>anything about it. In fact, she misspelled the link when she emailed it
>to me.

You don't need either MPT or Connection Manager to make connections to the
Internet -- all you need is Windows Dial-Up Networking.

>Okay, so for the Motorola v551 and the USB cable with Cingular's
>Connection Manager, it says that it's connected with Edge and the edge
>icon appears on the phone, and there are bytes of traffic shown on the
>connection manager's window, but the web is not available.

The icon on the phone is actually GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE).

>Story of my acquisition of my own v551, conflicting stories come from
>Cingular. People at cingular I spoke with say that the Media Works plan
>is insufficient, that it's only for the phone's browser and when I
>called customer service, they said that I don't need any other services
>beyond media works, which covers internet on the phone and on a laptop.
> One of these representatives is wrong.

MEdia Works will work with a laptop -- see my webpages below.

>Anyhow, if somebody knows why connection manager won't browse, I'd
>appreciate the help. I bet I get a response here before I make it
>through to another rep at cingular.

Try Windows Dial-Up Networking.