For readers

May 28, 2005 4:46:10 PM

I keep searching for the perfect gadget to take
my library to the beach, but haven't found it yet.
For the manufacturers out there, here would be
the holy grail, in my opinion, for people who want to read:

(1) Around a 6" x 9" display
(this is a fairly standard trade paperback size).

(2) weighs a pound or less

(3) no keyboard, a few buttons, and a good voice recognition-supported
operating system. The purpose of the operating is *mainly* to retrieve (from
the net or
my local pc) and display .pdfs and .html content in a way as pleasing as a
good paperback.
Anything else is nice, but icing on the cake.

(4) short and long-range connectivity for the retrieval in (3).

(5) a bright display for outdoors, in a rugged case that closes, and keeps
out the weather and sand :-)

In other words, its *like a book* with replaceable content in all important
aspects.

I know there have been some ebook-type reader marketing failures, but I
think it's because no one has 'got it right' yet. I would be interested in
hearing what
other readers would consider 'getting it right', as I continue my search.

regards,
alan

More about : readers

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:31:30 PM

I think you'll find that in this : http://www.oqo.com/

Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:46:10 -0700, "Alan"
<info@optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote:

>I keep searching for the perfect gadget to take
>my library to the beach, but haven't found it yet.
>For the manufacturers out there, here would be
>the holy grail, in my opinion, for people who want to read:
>
>(1) Around a 6" x 9" display
> (this is a fairly standard trade paperback size).
>
>(2) weighs a pound or less
>
>(3) no keyboard, a few buttons, and a good voice recognition-supported
>operating system. The purpose of the operating is *mainly* to retrieve (from
>the net or
>my local pc) and display .pdfs and .html content in a way as pleasing as a
>good paperback.
>Anything else is nice, but icing on the cake.
>
>(4) short and long-range connectivity for the retrieval in (3).
>
>(5) a bright display for outdoors, in a rugged case that closes, and keeps
> out the weather and sand :-)
>
>In other words, its *like a book* with replaceable content in all important
>aspects.
May 30, 2005 5:31:31 PM

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I think you'll find that in this : http://www.oqo.com/
>
> Cheers - Neil

Thanks, but why do you think a display of less than 3.4" x 4.9" satisfies
my need for a 6" x 9". Have you ever bought a book of the former size?

regards,
alan
May 30, 2005 9:55:46 PM

"Alan" <info@optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message

> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I think you'll find that in this : http://www.oqo.com/
> >
> > Cheers - Neil
>
> Thanks, but why do you think a display of less than 3.4" x 4.9" satisfies
> my need for a 6" x 9". Have you ever bought a book of the former size?
>
> regards,
> alan
That's a very rude response to somebody who is trying to help you. It is
likely to put off others from offering assistance.

Chris
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:27:06 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:13:27 -0700, "Alan"
<info@optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote:

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I think you'll find that in this : http://www.oqo.com/
>Thanks, but why do you think a display of less than 3.4" x 4.9" satisfies
>my need for a 6" x 9".

OK well I'm in Europe so unlike your derivative parochial American
attitudes held by your region, I can calculate in both inches *and*
centimetres (note : metres *not* meters :-p)

> Have you ever bought a book of the former size?

Yes, of course I have. Books come in many sizes.

So using pythagorus theorem I calculate that to be a 10-inch diagonal.

Using the most basic of web searches to fulfil your screen size
requirement demonstrated that a tablet PC could be acquired to meet
those specifications. For example :

http://www.pcwb.com/servlets/Catalogue?item_code=PANNB3...
http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/productpage.cfm?store=E...
http://www.pcwb.com/servlets/Catalogue?item_code=FUJTAB...

You may even wish to use the device to annotate PDFs using a pen and a
copy of adobe acrobat. Voice input of course is entirely down to your
abilty to source additional software such as IBM ViaVoice, or Dragon
Naturally Speaking.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/voice/viavoice/
http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/

With regard to environmental protection you may be interested in the
product ranges supplied by OtterBox for tablet PC format devices such
as http://www.otterbox.com/product.cfm?product=174&code=NA

If you require further help specifying your system, I am available for
system integration contracts at very reasonable daily rates (minimum
contract rate $850, hourly rate from $120 upwards).

Bye - Neil
May 30, 2005 10:27:07 PM

> Using the most basic of web searches to fulfil your screen size
> requirement demonstrated that a tablet PC could be acquired to meet
> those specifications. For example :
>
> http://www.pcwb.com/servlets/Catalogue?item_code=PANNB3...
> http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/productpage.cfm?store=E...
> http://www.pcwb.com/servlets/Catalogue?item_code=FUJTAB...

Thanks for the suggestions, Neil, and I don't mean to be rude.
But I have really thought through what would work, for me anyway,
to read with. The tablet above, if I read the specs right, seems to weigh
almost 5 lbs. Yet, I posted in my original query that my ideal would weigh
under 1 lb.
I appreciate that there are devices out there that meet *some* of my
requirements.

If anyone is aware of an existing system that is significantly closer to my
ideal specs, I
will be delighted to hear about it. The larger display size and smaller
weight are both quite
important to me.

regards,
alan
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:27:08 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 11:52:20 -0700, "Alan"
<info@optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote:

>If anyone is aware of an existing system that is significantly closer to my
>ideal specs, I
>will be delighted to hear about it. The larger display size and smaller
>weight are both quite
>important to me.

I'm not sure if such device exists. The larger the LCD display, the
greater the power requirement and the larger the battery needs to be
to get decent use out of the portable device.

I'm not an expert on PDA but if you look into Apple Powerbook Duo
line, they were very light without battery. I used to have a 230 and
did well just for reading and word processing but I had to retire it
long ago.
May 30, 2005 11:03:59 PM

"Alan" <info@optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message

> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I think you'll find that in this : http://www.oqo.com/
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>
> Thanks, but why do you think a display of less than 3.4" x 4.9" satisfies
> my need for a 6" x 9". Have you ever bought a book of the former size?
>
> regards,
> alan

At least he offered help, and freely.
Perhaps your response will discourage others from offering any advice- I
think I would understand why.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:08:37 AM

>> Using the most basic of web searches to fulfil your screen size
>> requirement demonstrated that a tablet PC could be acquired to meet
>> those specifications. For example :
>>
>> http://www.pcwb.com/servlets/Catalogue?item_code=PANNB3...
>> http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/productpage.cfm?store=E...
>> http://www.pcwb.com/servlets/Catalogue?item_code=FUJTAB...
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, Neil, and I don't mean to be rude.
> But I have really thought through what would work, for me anyway,
> to read with. The tablet above, if I read the specs right, seems to weigh
> almost 5 lbs. Yet, I posted in my original query that my ideal would weigh
> under 1 lb.
> I appreciate that there are devices out there that meet *some* of my
> requirements.
>
> If anyone is aware of an existing system that is significantly closer to
> my ideal specs, I
> will be delighted to hear about it. The larger display size and smaller
> weight are both quite
> important to me.
>
> regards,
> alan

I recall seeing an ebook reader in one of the pc magazines but cant recall
the details, it may have been a future product preview or something similar.
It may be worth a google search to see if you turn anything up.
May 31, 2005 2:50:17 PM

> I'm not sure if such device exists. The larger the LCD display, the
> greater the power requirement and the larger the battery needs to be
> to get decent use out of the portable device.
>
> I'm not an expert on PDA but if you look into Apple Powerbook Duo
> line, they were very light without battery. I used to have a 230 and
> did well just for reading and word processing but I had to retire it
> long ago.

Thanks, I looked but the lightest Apple was 4-5 lbs.
I don't think such a device exists yet either. The lightest tablets I
have seen mentioned are a kg (NEC). PDAs are light enough but the
screen are too small.
May 31, 2005 2:56:49 PM

> I recall seeing an ebook reader in one of the pc magazines but cant recall
> the details, it may have been a future product preview or something
> similar. It may be worth a google search to see if you turn anything up.

Thanks,

I've seen this one
http://www.ebookwise.com/servlet/mw?t=book&bi=27007&si=...
but it doesn't seem to display either pdfs or have the connectivity I want

Sony has introduced something only in Japan called an EBR-1000 Librie eBook
reader,
but it looks like it displays only proprietary content, as far as I can see.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:23:58 PM

"Alan" <info@optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
news:o 3i7ukgZFHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>PDAs are light enough but the
> screen are too small.

It would seem that a reader that is capable of displaying a paragraph at a
time in nice fonts would be quite acceptable as compared to reproducing the
entire text of a paperback book. In fact, it makes for less processing by
the brain to have only the paragraph display instead of the whole page. On
top of that is today's PDA readers that autoscroll, along with some speed
reading versions that tracks words and lines, it leaves me with this
question - Why is a PDA screen too small for reading? Does it have to
reproduce the entire page, or is it just presonal prefs?

Personally I like reading on a PDA - I can carry a great number of ebooks
with me, I can fit it in my pocket, reading in bed at night is very
convenient (no light required), and with autoscrolling no page turning
needed (this one is turned off at night - too often fall asleep...).

But to each their own.

As it is I think that a device with the form factor of the PPC is now an
accepted commonplace, and more capable units that size will be offered for
similiar money as it evolves. The good news is that the rollup displays may
come in the package in the not so distant future, whihc would address you
request for a bigger screen.
May 31, 2005 9:58:36 PM

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message
news:o 6TZn3gZFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "Alan" <info@optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
> news:o 3i7ukgZFHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>>PDAs are light enough but the
>> screen are too small.
>

> It would seem that a reader that is capable of displaying a paragraph at a
> time in nice fonts would be quite acceptable as compared to reproducing
> the entire text of a paperback book. In fact, it makes for less
> processing by the brain to have only the paragraph display instead of the
> whole page. On top of that is today's PDA readers that autoscroll, along
> with some speed reading versions that tracks words and lines, it leaves me
> with this question - Why is a PDA screen too small for reading? Does it
> have to reproduce the entire page, or is it just presonal prefs?

For most fiction, I can envision a PDA working. But I read a lot of
technical
material and it usually comes with highly structured math, sometimes
multiline
equations, charts, tables, etc. It would be just plain irritating to have to
scroll
such stuff to see it.

In fact, I think my ideal display would have a cover that
opens to show two 6" x 9" facing pages. Then, you could hold one in place,
while skipping forward and back on the other. For example, sometimes, I want
to see two
non-contiguous pages at once. Math. authors are always referring back to
some theorem they discussed earlier in the text, and when you pick up the
book in the
middle to read about a topic, you almost immediately need to backtrack like
that.
Or search for notations defined.

Also, I think it helps me with such material to be able to 'scan ahead' to
get a
sense of what is on the current two pages: are there examples coming up, and
so on. With such 'difficult' material, I don't want to have to fight the
device, too.

The autoscrolling is a nice idea, though, for fiction that I wasn't aware
was available.

regards,
alan
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:40:37 PM

"Alan" <info@optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net> wrote in message
news:o JyDDUkZFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> In fact, I think my ideal display would have a cover that
> opens to show two 6" x 9" facing pages.

It would seem that some type of landscape oriented device might be the best
choice for you, although I do not know of a single reading program that
allows you to show non-concurrent pages at a time it would be possible to
run two instances (or on a wide Windows CE device two diffferent but
similiar programs). I have to admit such a device would be VERY nice, but a
bit bigger than a pocket (unless those rollout screens do come out any time
soon!)

Math and otherwise technical displays are always a bit problematic, but I
have found that a reader that supports HTML and custom fonts (such as
tomeraider) is much better at showing fomulas that flow within a document.
Installation of Code2000.ttf and/or Arial Unicode MS on the PPC will help a
great deal as well (put these on a storage card!), and most of the time I
can get the pertinent info on the screen while staying quite readable. These
include technical diagrams, math and design layouts, not to mention an
occasional flow or two. Of course, there will ALWAYS be exceptions. :)

I am sure you realize that there is a PDF reader for PPC, but though it does
offer reflow most tech docs require too much scrolling around to be of use,
and zooming out loses too much detail. But at other times it does nicely. I
still like formats other than PDF for most docs due to easier screen
manipulation.

Good luck on your search, and if you find something really cool post back
some information.
!