Multiple random named folders

After several nightmare days attempting to perform a clean reinstall of
w2kpro, it's finally working. (The lsass.exe shutdown again and again was
especially annoying)

I now see several folders under the Local Disk c:\ drive in Windows Explorer
with what seem to be randomly generated names (9bf6e2439....54b9a2...etc.
One folder is named simply 6.) All appear to contain the identical
sub-folders and files. All were modified at different times on the day I
was forced to attempt and re-attempt installs in order to get up and
running. How many of these can I delete? Should I keep the last one
modified?

thnx

Doug

"Doug Main" wrote:
| After several nightmare days attempting to perform a clean reinstall of
| w2kpro, it's finally working. (The lsass.exe shutdown again and again was
| especially annoying)
* These need to be applied before connecting to any network (internet
included)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-004.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-012.mspx

| I now see several folders under the Local Disk c:\ drive in Windows
Explorer
| with what seem to be randomly generated names (9bf6e2439....54b9a2...etc.
| One folder is named simply 6.) All appear to contain the identical
| sub-folders and files. All were modified at different times on the day I
| was forced to attempt and re-attempt installs in order to get up and
| running. How many of these can I delete? Should I keep the last one
| modified?
* Without some details of the files/ folders it's hard to say but those
folders are not part of the operating system. Sounds like you didn't clean
install. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom
or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your
Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and
execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

These folders are left behind by the Hotfixes installed by
Windows Update if the machine was rebooted during
installation or the installation failed.