Multiple random named folders

After several nightmare days attempting to perform a clean reinstall of
w2kpro, it's finally working. (The lsass.exe shutdown again and again was
especially annoying)

I now see several folders under the Local Disk c:\ drive in Windows Explorer
with what seem to be randomly generated names (9bf6e2439....54b9a2...etc.
One folder is named simply 6.) All appear to contain the identical
sub-folders and files. All were modified at different times on the day I
was forced to attempt and re-attempt installs in order to get up and
running. How many of these can I delete? Should I keep the last one
modified?

thnx

Doug
2 answers Last reply
More about multiple random named folders

    "Doug Main" wrote:
    | After several nightmare days attempting to perform a clean reinstall of
    | w2kpro, it's finally working. (The lsass.exe shutdown again and again was
    | especially annoying)
    * These need to be applied before connecting to any network (internet
    included)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-004.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-012.mspx

    | I now see several folders under the Local Disk c:\ drive in Windows
    Explorer
    | with what seem to be randomly generated names (9bf6e2439....54b9a2...etc.
    | One folder is named simply 6.) All appear to contain the identical
    | sub-folders and files. All were modified at different times on the day I
    | was forced to attempt and re-attempt installs in order to get up and
    | running. How many of these can I delete? Should I keep the last one
    | modified?
    * Without some details of the files/ folders it's hard to say but those
    folders are not part of the operating system. Sounds like you didn't clean
    install. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom
    or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your
    Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and
    execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    These folders are left behind by the Hotfixes installed by
    Windows Update if the machine was rebooted during
    installation or the installation failed.

Windows