will sceptre ever release their 24'' LCD? Alternatives?

dlmac

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I am trying to find the best LCD for the money, I have a budget of around 700$ I want to get one now and another in a month or so after tax refund. (another 700 max) So...

Over the past few months I've been waiting for this LCD:

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x24wg_Naga.htm

But I see no release date in sight. Is there currently anything equal or better then this? I have never owned an LCD from Sceptre but I am willing to give them a try.

I currently own a 19'' ViewSonic LCD, and it is time for me to upgrade. I have been reading the forums for a few days now getting input on different LCDs but they are mostly for 22''.

I do a lot of gaming. WoW, CS, HL2...and .NET Development. I am willing to go for a 22 inch but I like the 24 better.

Also, just a side question, what video card is best for dual screens ATI or nVidia?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I was gonna recommend the Benq 241w over at Newegg, but there is a serious price spike from yesterday. The price jumped from $730 to $899.

I was looking at that particular model because there have been several reviews stating that it is much better than the Dell 2407WFP. The Benq definitely uses an 8-bit LCD screen, but there is conflicting and insufficient information about wheather the Dell 2407WFP uses a 6-bit or 8-bit LCD.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to continue looking.

dlmac

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, I am not getting that much feedback here so I will continue to look around and read reviews.

Can anyone answer my other question, what video card works better for Dual screens ATI or nVidia?

dlmac

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I havent seen it for myself but have you thought about the Acer?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009089

I will look into that one, haven't really thought of Acer as a reliable LCD the reviews seem kinda mixed. and the built in speakers is ridiculous if you ask me.

Well, I was gonna recommend the Benq 241w over at Newegg, but there is a serious price spike from yesterday. The price jumped from $730 to $899.

Hey dlmac, check out the Benq 241W. The price has dropped back down to $730 and there's no shipping charges:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824014124

I'm still mulling over this LCD. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting a tax refund, unlike you.

The only drawback about this monitor is this monitor does not support forced 1:1 aspect ratio for outside video sources. Meaning if you were to plug an XBox or watch a video using S-Video, or component, the image will be stretched to 16:9 ratio instead of 4:3. Of course any video being displayed by the video card itself will be normal.

Benq will be releasing the "Z" model that will have an updated BIOS to correct the lack of 1:1 ratio. If you do not intend to connect an external video source to this monitor then that shouldn't hold you back from buying this monitor.

Unfortunately for me, I'm thinking I may want to hook up an external video source to my next monitor from time to time. Therefore, I'm on the fence at the moment.

dlmac

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks for the links, I think I will go with the benq. not crazy about silver trim but it has everything else I want.