W2k shutdown/restart not working

When I select shutdown or restart option, windows shutsdown ok but leaves me at a blank screen with cursor blinking in top left of screen. I have to power off machine to complete the shutdown or to restart it. I have the same problem on 2 thinkpads and a compaq deskpro. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

mark

is they are enabled. Refer to your PC or motherboard
manual for this procedure.(Hit F2 or Delete repeatedly
immediately after power up,during startup, to enter the
BIOS setup). Also check in your Control Panel power
options to see if your PC has power management features,
and if they are enabled. Third.... some programs can cause
the power management to malfunction. Try to close each
program individually one by one(CTRL+ALT+DEL)(don't close
Explorer or Systray). Finally... you may have to use
ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in Control Panel to remove programs
one by one to see which is causing the problem. Had a
printer with online help that caused similar prblm.
Deleting the online help but not the printer drivers
solved it.
Good luck