Win2k Page File Problem

Dear All,
I have 2 40GB hard disks. Each of them have two primary and two
logical partitions. I have Win2k installed on First logical partition
of the First Disk. I Copied this entire partition to the First logical
partition of the Second Disk. On both the disks, I have Win 98
installed on the First Primary partition and the Second Primary
partition is hidden. Hence win98 has c: drive and Win2k has d: drive.
The problem now is when i tried to boot my m/c with the second disk,
Everything is fine till i get the log on screen... When I tried logging
in, A warning message appears which displays a message about the low
memory available for the page file and instead of continuing with the
log on process it displays the log on screen again and the loop
continues...
When i try booting with the first disk everything is fine. What
might have gone wrong???
Nuts & Geeks over there please tell ur views...
thanks & regars to all
Naikuteee

pegasus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001

"Naikuteee" <naikuteee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
> I have 2 40GB hard disks. Each of them have two primary and two
> logical partitions. I have Win2k installed on First logical partition
> of the First Disk. I Copied this entire partition to the First logical
> partition of the Second Disk. On both the disks, I have Win 98
> installed on the First Primary partition and the Second Primary
> partition is hidden. Hence win98 has c: drive and Win2k has d: drive.
> The problem now is when i tried to boot my m/c with the second disk,
> Everything is fine till i get the log on screen... When I tried logging
> in, A warning message appears which displays a message about the low
> memory available for the page file and instead of continuing with the
> log on process it displays the log on screen again and the loop
> continues...
> When i try booting with the first disk everything is fine. What
> might have gone wrong???
> Nuts & Geeks over there please tell ur views...
> thanks & regars to all
> Naikuteee

Your second copy of Win2000 remembers the original drive by
its long name. It might look like so:
\Volume{cacb5f01-dfb8-11d8-a4e9-806d6172696f}

You could try to fix the problem like so:
- Boot with both disks inserted.
- Run reged32.exe.
- Click HKLM
- Click Registry / Open Hive
- Specify the SYSTEM file of your second Win2000 installation.
- Navigate to HKLM/SYSTEM/MountedDevices/:
- Delete all keys which look like "\DosDevice\<DRIVE_LETTER>:"

While you're at it, you should also check for the correct location
of the paging file:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
Memory Management