Installing Win98 after W2K

Hello all,
I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like to
install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives, if
that helps in any way.
TIA!
6 answers Last reply
More about installing win98

    Greetings --

    While intended for Win98/WinXP, the directions here may be of
    help:

    Install Windows 98 after XP is Installed.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Arkion" <arkion@no.spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    > I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like
    > install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
    > but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
    > possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
    > any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives,
    if
    > that helps in any way.
    > TIA!

    "Arkion" <arkion@no.spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    > I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like to
    > install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
    > but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
    > possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
    > any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives, if
    > that helps in any way.
    > TIA!

    What type of partition is Win2000 installed on? FAT32? NTFS?

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:10:32 +1000, "Pegasus" <I.can@fly.com> wrote:

    >"Arkion" <arkion@no.spam.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello all,
    >> I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like to
    >> install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
    >> but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
    >> possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
    >> any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives, if
    >> that helps in any way.
    >> TIA!
    >
    >What type of partition is Win2000 installed on? FAT32? NTFS?

    Everything is FAT32.

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:48:32 -0600, "Bruce Chambers"
    <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:

    >Greetings --
    >
    > While intended for Win98/WinXP, the directions here may be of
    >help:
    >
    >Install Windows 98 after XP is Installed.
    >http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm
    >

    >Bruce Chambers

    Sounds like this should do the thing. Thanks much!

    Greetings --

    You're welcome.

    Bruce Chambers
    --

    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:48:32 -0600, "Bruce Chambers"
    > <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Greetings --
    > >
    > > While intended for Win98/WinXP, the directions here may be of
    > >help:
    > >
    > >Install Windows 98 after XP is Installed.
    > >http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm
    > >

    > >Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Sounds like this should do the thing. Thanks much!
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:10:32 +1000, "Pegasus" <I.can@fly.com> wrote:
    >

    > >"Arkion" <arkion@no.spam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hello all,
    > >> I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like to
    > >> install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
    > >> but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
    > >> possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
    > >> any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives, if
    > >> that helps in any way.
    > >> TIA!
    > >
    > >What type of partition is Win2000 installed on? FAT32? NTFS?
    > >

    > Everything is FAT32.

    This makes it easier. Follow Bruce's advice, and post again if you get
    stuck.

Windows 2000 Windows