Installing Win98 after W2K

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 30, 2004 8:26:37 PM

Hello all,
I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like to
install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives, if
that helps in any way.
TIA!

More about : installing win98 w2k

Anonymous
July 31, 2004 12:48:32 AM

Greetings --

While intended for Win98/WinXP, the directions here may be of
help:

Install Windows 98 after XP is Installed.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Arkion" <arkion@no.spam.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like
> install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
> but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
> possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
> any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives,
if
> that helps in any way.
> TIA!
July 31, 2004 4:10:32 AM

"Arkion" <arkion@no.spam.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like to
> install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
> but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
> possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
> any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives, if
> that helps in any way.
> TIA!

What type of partition is Win2000 installed on? FAT32? NTFS?
August 1, 2004 4:13:44 PM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:10:32 +1000, "Pegasus" <I.can@fly.com> wrote:

>"Arkion" <arkion@no.spam.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>> I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like to
>> install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
>> but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
>> possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
>> any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives, if
>> that helps in any way.
>> TIA!
>
>What type of partition is Win2000 installed on? FAT32? NTFS?

Everything is FAT32.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 4:15:38 PM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:48:32 -0600, "Bruce Chambers"
<bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:

>Greetings --
>
> While intended for Win98/WinXP, the directions here may be of
>help:
>
>Install Windows 98 after XP is Installed.
>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm
>

>Bruce Chambers

Sounds like this should do the thing. Thanks much!
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 4:15:39 PM

Greetings --

You're welcome.

Bruce Chambers
--

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:48:32 -0600, "Bruce Chambers"
> <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Greetings --
> >
> > While intended for Win98/WinXP, the directions here may be of
> >help:
> >
> >Install Windows 98 after XP is Installed.
> >http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm
> >

> >Bruce Chambers
>
> Sounds like this should do the thing. Thanks much!
August 1, 2004 11:36:47 PM

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:10:32 +1000, "Pegasus" <I.can@fly.com> wrote:
>

> >"Arkion" <arkion@no.spam.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello all,
> >> I have Windows 2000 with SP4 currently installed. Now I would like to
> >> install Windows 98 to another partition to make some old games work,
> >> but I don't want to re-install W2K after installing 98. Is this
> >> possible to do without destroying W2K master boot records? Is there
> >> any 3rd party boot managers that allow this? I have two harddrives, if
> >> that helps in any way.
> >> TIA!
> >
> >What type of partition is Win2000 installed on? FAT32? NTFS?
> >

> Everything is FAT32.

This makes it easier. Follow Bruce's advice, and post again if you get
stuck.
!