Lost the product ID and need to re-install

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Hi. I need to re-install w2k pro but I lost the certficate
with that code that I need to put in. Can anyone tell me
if there's a registry setting where I can find it?

Or of not, what can I do?

There's something in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio
n\ProductID with a value of 51873-007-4877977-09414, but
that's not it, is it?

thanks.

Try:

George wrote:

> Hi. I need to re-install w2k pro but I lost the certficate
> with that code that I need to put in. Can anyone tell me
> if there's a registry setting where I can find it?
>
> Or of not, what can I do?
>
> There's something in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio
> n\ProductID with a value of 51873-007-4877977-09414, but
> that's not it, is it?
>
> thanks.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Thanks a million Woof Woof!!

This also...

"George" <qabalahfromkapetapek@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I need to re-install w2k pro but I lost the certficate
> with that code that I need to put in. Can anyone tell me
> if there's a registry setting where I can find it?
>
> Or of not, what can I do?
>
> There's something in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio
> n\ProductID with a value of 51873-007-4877977-09414, but
> that's not it, is it?
>
> thanks.

Greetings --

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
computer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: