My Computer icon

March 14, 2005 1:53:01 PM

I received a new computer and when I right click on the My Computer icon and
click on properties, I do not get the tab for "device manager". I used to
get it on my old computer. Am I missing a setting, or has this been changed?

More about : computer icon

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:09:07 PM

When you right click, you should a tab called Hardware. Click it and Device
Manager should be there.

"Pink Panter 1507" wrote:

> I received a new computer and when I right click on the My Computer icon and
> click on properties, I do not get the tab for "device manager". I used to
> get it on my old computer. Am I missing a setting, or has this been changed?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:03:51 PM

After you right click on My Computer and Properties, click on the Hardware
tab and then click the Device Manager button.

"Pink Panter 1507" <Pink Panter 1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:082513FB-EC89-43B8-A93B-521977D134AD@microsoft.com...
>I received a new computer and when I right click on the My Computer icon
>and
> click on properties, I do not get the tab for "device manager". I used to
> get it on my old computer. Am I missing a setting, or has this been
> changed?
March 14, 2005 3:03:52 PM

When I right click on My Computer and Properties, I do not get a hardware
tabe. The only tabs I get are General and Shortcut

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> After you right click on My Computer and Properties, click on the Hardware
> tab and then click the Device Manager button.

> "Pink Panter 1507" <Pink Panter 1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:082513FB-EC89-43B8-A93B-521977D134AD@microsoft.com...
> >I received a new computer and when I right click on the My Computer icon
> >and
> > click on properties, I do not get the tab for "device manager". I used to
> > get it on my old computer. Am I missing a setting, or has this been
> > changed?

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:50:16 PM

That does not sound like the right properties page. Does the tool say
"System Properties"?

You should see General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced, System Restore,
Automatic Updates, and Remote (perhaps only on XP Pro) tabs. You should see
a monitor with a Windows Logo on the General tab. Post back.

"Pink Panter 1507" <PinkPanter1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FC50F476-3EFF-461C-A6B7-2DF352AF116B@microsoft.com...
> When I right click on My Computer and Properties, I do not get a hardware
> tabe. The only tabs I get are General and Shortcut
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> After you right click on My Computer and Properties, click on the
>> Hardware
>> tab and then click the Device Manager button.
>>
>> --
>> "Pink Panter 1507" <Pink Panter 1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:082513FB-EC89-43B8-A93B-521977D134AD@microsoft.com...
>> >I received a new computer and when I right click on the My Computer icon
>> >and
>> > click on properties, I do not get the tab for "device manager". I used
>> > get it on my old computer. Am I missing a setting, or has this been
>> > changed?

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:50:17 PM

No, I don't have any of those items. Is it possible to get those items if I
delete and somehow set the My Computer icon back on the desktop.

Thanks for your prompt response.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> That does not sound like the right properties page. Does the tool say
> "System Properties"?
>
> You should see General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced, System Restore,
> Automatic Updates, and Remote (perhaps only on XP Pro) tabs. You should see
> a monitor with a Windows Logo on the General tab. Post back.

> "Pink Panter 1507" <PinkPanter1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:FC50F476-3EFF-461C-A6B7-2DF352AF116B@microsoft.com...
> > When I right click on My Computer and Properties, I do not get a hardware
> > tabe. The only tabs I get are General and Shortcut
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> After you right click on My Computer and Properties, click on the
> >> Hardware
> >> tab and then click the Device Manager button.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "Pink Panter 1507" <Pink Panter 1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:082513FB-EC89-43B8-A93B-521977D134AD@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:48:12 PM

Delete what?

What do you see if you open the Control Panel>Performance and
Maintenance>System?

"Pink Panter 1507" <PinkPanter1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FAECD3D8-300F-485C-AC6E-D173C2AD2B6F@microsoft.com...
> No, I don't have any of those items. Is it possible to get those items if
> delete and somehow set the My Computer icon back on the desktop.
>
> Thanks for your prompt response.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> That does not sound like the right properties page. Does the tool say
>> "System Properties"?
>>
>> You should see General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced, System
>> Restore,
>> Automatic Updates, and Remote (perhaps only on XP Pro) tabs. You should
>> see
>> a monitor with a Windows Logo on the General tab. Post back.
>>
>> --
>> "Pink Panter 1507" <PinkPanter1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:FC50F476-3EFF-461C-A6B7-2DF352AF116B@microsoft.com...
>> > When I right click on My Computer and Properties, I do not get a
>> > hardware
>> > tabe. The only tabs I get are General and Shortcut

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:48:13 PM

Delete the My Computer icon from the desk top. Through control panel I see
everything I am supposed to. If I create a shortcut to the System on my desk
top, it has the same problem as the My Computer icon

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Delete what?
>
> What do you see if you open the Control Panel>Performance and
> Maintenance>System?

> "Pink Panter 1507" <PinkPanter1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:FAECD3D8-300F-485C-AC6E-D173C2AD2B6F@microsoft.com...
> > No, I don't have any of those items. Is it possible to get those items if
> > delete and somehow set the My Computer icon back on the desktop.
> >
> > Thanks for your prompt response.
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> That does not sound like the right properties page. Does the tool say
> >> "System Properties"?
> >>
> >> You should see General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced, System
> >> Restore,
> >> Automatic Updates, and Remote (perhaps only on XP Pro) tabs. You should
> >> see
> >> a monitor with a Windows Logo on the General tab. Post back.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "Pink Panter 1507" <PinkPanter1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:FC50F476-3EFF-461C-A6B7-2DF352AF116B@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:58:48 PM

You don't have to create a shortcut for My Comuter like you do for ordinary
files.

Right click on the desktop and choose Properties. On the Display Properties
page click on the Desktop tab. Then click on the Customize Desktop button
at the bottom left of the Desktop tab. On the Desktop Items page choose the
General tab and put a checkmark in My Computer (and any of the other items)
in the Desktop Icons section. OK and Apply your way back out and My
Computer will show on the desktop.

"Pink Panter 1507" <PinkPanter1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B3BEFBA5-F3E7-4A84-94CA-099335EAFD27@microsoft.com...
> Delete the My Computer icon from the desk top. Through control panel I
> see
> everything I am supposed to. If I create a shortcut to the System on my
> desk
> top, it has the same problem as the My Computer icon
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Delete what?
>>
>> What do you see if you open the Control Panel>Performance and
>> Maintenance>System?
>>
>> --
>> "Pink Panter 1507" <PinkPanter1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:FAECD3D8-300F-485C-AC6E-D173C2AD2B6F@microsoft.com...
>> > No, I don't have any of those items. Is it possible to get those items
>> > if
>> > delete and somehow set the My Computer icon back on the desktop.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your prompt response.

March 14, 2005 7:39:21 PM

"Pink Panter 1507" <Pink Panter 1507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:082513FB-EC89-43B8-A93B-521977D134AD@microsoft.com...
>I received a new computer and when I right click on the My Computer icon
>and
> click on properties, I do not get the tab for "device manager". I used to
> get it on my old computer. Am I missing a setting, or has this been
> changed?

That's typical for anyone not setup as an Adminstrator (in Pro anyway, not
sure about Home)
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:52:05 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:15:07 -0800, Pink Panter 1507 wrote:

> Delete the My Computer icon from the desk top. Through control panel I see
> everything I am supposed to. If I create a shortcut to the System on my desk
> top, it has the same problem as the My Computer icon

Try adding My Computer using a different method:

Right click the desktop and select Properties. This will bring up the
"Display" control panel applet. Click on the Desktop tab to bring that page
to the forefront. On this page, click Customize Desktop. Finally, on the
screen that appears, select the system's desktop icons that you would like
to see including My Computer. Click OK.

The My Computer icon that this method produces will bring up the screen
that Colin is referring to -"System Properties"- when you right
click/select properties. And it will have a page titled Hardware.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Looks like you're using a shortcut to My Computer (explorer.exe) and not the
special "My Computer" icon.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User